Depression Eating!

I just had a fight with my boyfriend and all I can think about is a big bag of Lays Cheddar and Sour Cream potato chips. Instead I curled up on my couch and opened my laptop to MyFitnessPal. Success? I still want those chips.

How can we overcome the psychological problems that led to our weight issues? Eating because we're sad, bored, angry etc...

Replies

• had a huge fight with a friend last night, almost immediately turned to food, and then threw it up :( but i'm back on track today! i really wish i had some magic way to divorce food from my other issues, but i don't, so i just try and accept that its going to be a long process, and work on separating the two while knowing that sometimes i will fail and i can't beat myself up over it.

that's a great success, btw, congrats! <3
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    you've put some information in your profile and that might be sufficient...but I recommend going into more detail in your profile...and then reading all of your insprirations and motivations whenever you are having a troubled moment.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    ask yourself: would you be happier eating that "comfort crap food" while boo hooing over an ex boyfriend....or would you be happier passing up on that crap food, realizing you're winning your mental battle, and not letting your ex boyfriend have any residual influence over you?

your choice.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member
    I turn AWAY from food when depressed. In a big way.

I've joked once or twice that I've needed to go back on the depression diet. But I would not wish it on anyone.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    gee if I had the answer to that I'd be thin!

I think we are all looking for other nurturing behaviours that are less-destructive than food. Exercise, self-care, talking to a friend, getting on MFP taking up knitting. Search for what will work for you, it might take some time, and different things for different circumstances, but it is worth it.

Good luck.

GG
  • Depression eating is the worst. Just keep your inspirations for losing weight in mind. If you can, take a walk outside which might help. Anything that gets your mind off your worries. Good luck. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    When you are blue, exercise! It brings about a chemical change in your brain, and you feel less depressed. It is probably the last thing you feel like doing. Moping on the couch is what you want to do, but if you fight that through exercise, not only does it distract you from eating, but you are less sad because of it.
  • soozeeg
    soozeeg Posts: 14 Member
    That's progress! Way to go! Maybe try something healthier, like a cutie orange and a square of dark chocolate.
  • have not been drinking pepsi for two weeks and for anyone who knows me it is killing me but last night got into a fight with my best friend of 13 years and i drank a pepsi. wish i hadnt but sometimes we turn to what we are familiar with when our life is not right i do understand but i just try to think of how food has hurt me now and no matter what silly stupid fight you probably got in your hurting yourself more with unhealthy food in the long run.
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    You have already succeeded in my book... Just know that the food really doesnt help... if you dont believe me go eat it and see how you feel... it probably felt good for a minute but then its even worse!
  • I dont know if i would say this is the right thing to do but i always chew a piece of double bubble. 15 cal and it takes away the cravings and gives my mouth something to do.
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    Maybe we just need to stop making excuses for WHY we eat. Because even if we choose to eat, we can still find something healthy, can't we? Just take responsibility and move on... Excuses keep us fat.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    I just had a fight with my boyfriend and all I can think about is a big bag of Lays Cheddar and Sour Cream potato chips. Instead I curled up on my couch and opened my laptop to MyFitnessPal. Success? I still want those chips.

How can we overcome the psychological problems that led to our weight issues? Eating because we're sad, bored, angry etc...

why not switch to some healthier multi grain chips like sun chips?? or go really extreme and do pita and hummus??