Horrible headaches with workout

Options
Yes- I used the search function! Promise!
Anyway I've been getting just awful headaches during exercise lately. I know water isn't the culprit because I drink toooons of water. I rarely have caffeine (I did have a Dt.Dew a few days ago but that is not typical of my diet). I don't have a lot of sodium in my diet typically either. I am vegetarian but I try to get my protein in and I don't think that would have anything to do with it. I'm just at a loss here and it is frustrating because I can't workout as hard as I want to when my head is pounding.
It is not a migraine- it is a throbbing on the sides of my head closer to the back.
I really appreciate any insight! My diary is public...feel free.

Replies

• genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not enough carbs maybe? Have you had your blood pressure checked lately?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Not enough carbs maybe? Have you had your blood pressure checked lately?

my first thoughts as well
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I seriously DO think it's possibly the water. I didn't get rid of my workout headaches until I started drinking a gallon a day on my workout days. If I don't drink enough by the time I workout or fall below that gallon around the end of the day and I workout (even if it's just a shorter workout of 45 minutes cardio), I get my pounding headache. I see in your diary that you drink from 9-12 average. That may not be enough for someone who's working out vigorously. 8 is really a bare minimum for someone who doesn't workout.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Used to have the same problem. Blood pressure was my problem. Have it checked just to be safe.
  • GFWayofLife
    Options
    Don't let the headaches get you down. I get them too and find that I haven't eaten enough. I would suggest a low sugar protein bar or protein shake ;o)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I find that I get them if I don't drink enough electrolytes. You sweat them out whilst working out. For me this is a huge issue I've had since I was a little kid and skinny. If you don't mind the artificial sweeteners or the sugar you can drink the sports drinks that have electrolytes. If not, try what I use. Smart Water. It's pricey, but it totally gets rid of the headache/keeps them from coming on. Case in point I did a 12 mile bikeride today and got overheated. I drank my Smart Water and poof away the heat headache went. Oh, and salt is not enough to help this issue you need more than that to fix it. Good luck!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    really cold water give me headaches. maybe try drinking your water closer to room temperature?
  • momlet2
    momlet2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the BP check....
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't usually drink more than eight or nine 8 ounce glasses per day, regardless of my workout schedule, and I don't get headaches when I work out. Everyone is different.

Have you talked to your doctor? It could be a blood pressure issue or a host of other things. Keep a record of everything you can that pertains to your workouts, your diet, etc. to take with you when you go talk to him or her.
  • HungryMom
    Options
    I used to get horrible headaches while exercising also; turns out I was clenching my jaw without knowing it. If I have not slept enough I also get them. If you don't find an answer I would talk to your primary care physician as it can be indicative of blood pressure issues.
  • crittytn
    Options
    My first thought is electrolyte imbalance.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    That sounds like something you should probably get checked by a doctor. Sure it could be nothing, or it could be a huge something. I always have headaches after I work shoulders, or certain sorts of chest exercises because I tense my neck up... but those are always after the workout.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    could be a few things; 1 have your blood pressure checked, 2 make sure your eating enough and not skipping out on too many calories; 3 drink lots of water before you start your workout. hope this helps.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Throbbing despite where it is on your head can typically signify migraines. Some people do suffer workout induced migraines. I do & take ibuprofen about 30 mins before I work out and make sure I am well hydrated before, during & after.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I honestly have never thought to check my blood pressure. I have an appointment for something completely unrelated on Wednesday but I will ask. It has never been a problem in my past but it doesn't hurt to find out.

I really don't think it is a lack of water as I am almost constantly sipping. To the poster who said room temp. water is best- that is typically what I drink since my fridge doesn't make ice& I'm lazy.

It could be sleep- I avg. about 7 hours but I think that is enough?

Electrolytes- good point. Something I know absolutely nothing about. I'm a poor college kid so buying Vitamin water to drink 2x a day would get expensive but maybe there are cheaper alternatives?

I really appreciate the responses. This is probably why they say "check with your doctor before you start a new exercise program" huh?
  • jaduff
    Options
    I used to get horrible headaches while exercising also; turns out I was clenching my jaw without knowing it. If I have not slept enough I also get them. If you don't find an answer I would talk to your primary care physician as it can be indicative of blood pressure issues.

Where are your headaches? Back of the head? Over the eyes? Clenching your jaw was exactly my first thought as well
  • bioheil
    bioheil Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    As far as I know I don't clench my jaw. Something I will pay attention to next time I work out
  • rebeccask
    Options
    I find that I get them if I don't drink enough electrolytes. You sweat them out whilst working out. For me this is a huge issue I've had since I was a little kid and skinny. If you don't mind the artificial sweeteners or the sugar you can drink the sports drinks that have electrolytes. If not, try what I use. Smart Water. It's pricey, but it totally gets rid of the headache/keeps them from coming on. Case in point I did a 12 mile bikeride today and got overheated. I drank my Smart Water and poof away the heat headache went. Oh, and salt is not enough to help this issue you need more than that to fix it. Good luck!

maybe up your sodium on workout days to balance your electrolytes level?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar and electrolytes are the first thing that comes to mind...

Are you feeding the engine enough? I had a runner in one of my Running Clinics who had the same issue... the issue was resolved by getting her to eat a balanced breakfast before our workouts and a few Sports Beans during the workout (every 20 minutes or so).

You may want to consider seeing a doctor and getting your BP tested and tests done on your blood sugar. Not to alarm you, but the person who had this issue in my clinic was also a prediabetic.