Football Without Beer

Options
So today's the first real day of football.

I've watched a couple of games today and I didn't have any beer. I can tell, though, that this is going to be a challenge going forward. I have GALLONS of beer on tap in my garage, Folks, and none of it is "light". I'll be making some lighter beers soon, but everything out there now has some kick to it.

This is the first football season in at least ten years during which I've been watching my diet - and I've never watched it as closely as I'm doing now with MFP. I could VERY easily add 600-1000 Calories of beer during the games on Sunday. Beer is my biggest downfall anyway, and it's going to be worse on Sunday's.

Anybody have any advice about this?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    you make beer!!? that's awesome. Is there any way you could limit yourself to one or two beers and work the beer into your daily calories? you gotta have beer!!
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    600 -1000 cals? I could drink u under the table lol, meh my major downfall IS beer! AND I drink LIGHT beer, but hey lifes the ****s and so we drink
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Well... I am with you on the beer with football thing... because I have to have beer with football. If I were you I wouldn't cut it out altogether. How much willpower would it take to just have one or two where you're only adding about 300 calories if you drink 2??? I don't limit myself, especially not on the weekends. My weekends are "free" for me... I eat and/or drink whatever I want on the weekends, and I don't track my food. I do still get some serious exercise in, though.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Two or three on Sunday's won't kill you! Remember we still have to live!
  • 1myfit
    Options
    Actually once you get thru it.....You don't really need beer to watch the game. Just like every other habit.....It's a habit you have to break. Good luck. Don't let it have a hold on you.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    same for me bigdawg !
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Alternate beer and water. You'll still be drinking the whole time but you'll be staying hydrated and only drinking half as much beer. You probably won't notice the difference (except the absence of both weight gain and hangovers!)

I'm a beer drinker, too, so it's something I don't ever plan to give up, I just try a little moderation and, of course, my own advice above.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Can you have a smaller portion?
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Can you have a smaller portion?
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    watch football with a beer while on the treadmill... maybe you can equal it out.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression we just rented beer. Re-thinking my calorie intake in 5...4...3....

I'm a homebrewer too. Just be honest and cognizant of your consumption when you figure total calories. It works. If you're not sure of the calories in your homebrew, check out BeerSmith software. Input your ingredients and it will give you a pretty accurate calorie count. For some reason, not when you're inputting it immediately, but after you close and re-open the software!
  • tiggr62
    tiggr62 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can make Sundays your cheat day.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    send me some!
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    *ahem* could i please hang out in your garage? ...seriously. pleeeeasssseeeee :D

despite being in china, i am such a football addict (i spent 13 years in tennessee!) and football, in most cases, also is accompanied by a nice pint of beer.

you could try limiting yourself to one or two glasses of beer on big game days. or, reducing your food intake accordingly. (that might leave you bloody hungry though, if you calories are set pretty low) as well, you could aim for a bit lower intake each day, say 200 calories or so, then splurge on game day :) in that way, you could still make your weekly net totals average out and not be waaay over. lastly, extra exercise on the day of the game couldn't hurt ;)
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do make beer. It's been my major hobby for about 7 years now, and I've been very involved. I've won several a couple gold medals for my beers at the Indiana State Fair, and several silver and bronze.

The problem with drinking just a few is that the inhibitions that alcohol relaxes include the willpower to stick to the diet. "Just one more" becomes a problem. I have FOUR draft taps in my garage, Guys, so it's really easy. Plus, my beers aren't 100 Calorie Bud Lites, but 250-300 Calorie IPA's, Pale ales, Brown ales, etc. So 2 or 3 of those ratchets up fast.

I do like the idea of alternating; I've used that in the past at beer conventions and competitions - but more to keep from getting too drunk than for calories. I'll do that for sure.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    watch football with a beer while on the treadmill... maybe you can equal it out.

that is EXACTLY what I was going to say!!!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Everybody in the car! We are heading to brewergeorge's house next sunday! EVeryone bring a healthy snack and your workout clothes!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Good thing I quit drinking about 20 years ago.
  • thegrimmwoman
    Options
    Why not give yourself a cheat day on Football Sundays? You don't have to pig out all day. Behave yourself all week and when it comes to football days, relax and enjoy a bit. There is nothing wrong with having a few beers and snacks during a game.

We still have to live!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to be very bad advice but I'll put it out there anyways, if you really want your beer that bad, then save the calories for it. This will mean no food for you but you get your beer. Now my other response would be that this diet is a lifestyle change so that requires us to break the habits that got us to where we are now - overweight. You may have to get rid of that tap jn the garage and switch it out for light or learn to control yourself and drink maybe one or just get rid of ut and replace that habit with tea or something else!

Good luck, I hope you are able to get through with this :D