what is the best way to loose stomach fat?

i usually do sit ups and crunches if i don't go the gym, and i read somewhere that apparently that doesn't help loose tummy fat? and it doesn't tone... so i need help, what exercise have you found that works best on toning and loosing fat on the stomach?
thankyou x

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    can't spot reduce, maintain a caloric deficit and you will lose belly fat

as for building your ab muscles, heavy lifts like deadlifts and squats work your core and if you want more direct ab work, any weighted exercise will do, weighted jack knives, weighted decline crunches etc
  • SIMA80
    SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
    PLANKS!!!!!!! My trainer makes me do A LOT of planks, including side planks as well as workouts within plank positions (with weights too)...my waist went down from size 18 to 12 since end of May of this year
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    would be interested in hearing the comments for this, i carry most of my weight in my belly. With current neck and shoulder problems.. sit ups... are a bit of a problem... So i would love to hear what others say to help this area.
  • can't spot reduce, maintain a caloric deficit and you will lose belly fat

as for building your ab muscles, heavy lifts like deadlifts and squats work your core and if you want more direct ab work, any weighted exercise will do, weighted jack knives, weighted decline crunches etc

Exactly. One of my fav quotes: Abs are made in the kitchen :]
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    I'm also interested in this.. Beside belly fat, would I ever lose some of my boobs if I continue to lose weight? I have lost 18 pounds since May...but nothing significant on top.....
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    You have to lose the weight around your stomach (cardios best apparently, but of course eating healthily and cleanly), before you can tone.

All that situps do is build the muscle under the fat, which can actually make the stomach/ab area look bigger.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    generally the first area you put on fat when you gain weight, will be the last area you lose fat in.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    the area you want to lose weight in the most, will be the area you lose weight in the least. sorry, its how it works. and sit ups don't burn as much fat as they build muscle. you need to run and bike and swim to burn off the fat.

i carry my fat in my belly too.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    One of my fav quotes: Abs are made in the kitchen :]

This. fat is fat. You can't exercise it off. Weight loss is 80% diet.
  • i usually do sit ups and crunches if i don't go the gym, and i read somewhere that apparently that doesn't help loose tummy fat? and it doesn't tone... so i need help, what exercise have you found that works best on toning and loosing fat on the stomach?
    thankyou x

Stomach fat? Seriously? WHERE? I don't see any.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,079 Member
    i usually do sit ups and crunches if i don't go the gym, and i read somewhere that apparently that doesn't help loose tummy fat? and it doesn't tone... so i need help, what exercise have you found that works best on toning and loosing fat on the stomach?
    thankyou x

Stomach fat? Seriously? WHERE? I don't see any.
    agreed where are u seeing this stomach fat??? lol
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    What everyone has said is true. All those companies making billions of dollars selling products to target fat loss are full of crap. I have gone from 336 to 201 so far and the belly is the last to go. My arms, legs, face, etc are great and the mid section is now starting to disappear. I don't know how much money I spent over the years trying to buy a quick fix. At least sites like MFP can let people know the truth.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Bump! Going to copy the link to this thread to my friends on the 'Burn the Belly' message board. :smile:
  • Proper dieting and a good workout regiment is the way to target excess fat
This discussion has been closed.