First 5K coming up a week from today...

Options
so what should I do and not do????

Should I run my typical 3-5 miles a day and taper off towards the end of the week?
Does the carb loader the night before really work?
Do I run at all on Saturday?

I'm getting nervous... and I signed up for my second 5K Oct 5th!!!!!

Suggestions as to prepping???

L.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i would recommend some really light runs the week before. nothing more then two miles. and take at least two days off before the race.

good luck!!
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Is it "Race to the end of summer"? I am doing the 10k. Do light runs, don't give full effort and as the above gentleman said, no activity two days before. Good to work up the glycogen levels in your muscles.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    um. taper off the last half of the week if you feel over worked, but if you feel great, i suggest maybe only taking the day before the race off although you don't have to. Do not do a HARD workout run (fast pace or even long distance) up to 4 days before the race. Just be hydrated. You don't need to carbo load for a 5k, but you can if you want :D ! My advice to you is to not start out too fast. KNOW your race pace!! If you go out too fast in the beginning, it will make your time slower because you will end up trying to recover from the speedy beginning the rest of the race. HAVE FUN! =] !
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you typically run 3-5miles a day --- you have nothing to worry about :)
    A 5k is only 3.1 miles and sounds like you do it all the time! Relax!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's the SF Aloha 5k in San Francisco!! Running with the Golden Gate as my back ground! Beautiful!
    Can't wait!

L.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Some people think carb loading is a myth, others swear by it. Whatever you decide to do, don't eat anything that your body isn't used to - no new foods, no spicy foods, no super fibrous foods - especially if you're prone to getting nervous...it won't end well. I also wouldn't run the day before or the day of, and have just a few light runs throughout the week. Like someone else said, if you're already running 3-5 miles per day, you've got this - just go and have FUN!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    And be sure you're well hydrated - as in - be sure you get enough water the day BEFORE the race as well as some the day of - but not so much the day of that you'll have to pee half way through your race.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It's the SF Aloha 5k in San Francisco!! Running with the Golden Gate as my back ground! Beautiful!
    Can't wait!

L.

Awesome! Coincidental that there is a race in San Jose (the one I am doing). Good luck!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Hello, im not as technical as other but I ran my first race yesterday. I ran once on friday and took it easy all week to rest my ankle. And I still shaved a minute off my personal best. Know your pace and start out steady then speed up. Have fun :)