Ketosis>500 Calorie Diet! Only Supporters!

Options

Replies

• dutchess48
    Options
    No you're right. Let's not attack. Let's let people promote disordered eating patterns. It's much, much nicer.
    Toddle over to the other thread the same poster started on the same topic, and read the account of the person whose life and health was wrecked by these dangerous practices. And then let's chat about what's nice and what's not.

I didn't take this as promoting per se.. It does offer another perspective though.

I agree about the dangerous practices but some times things must be taken at a case by case principle. And this means that a medical nutritional professional must be the one calling the shots! Not any layman!

The truly concerning thing is that normal weight or only slightly overweight people often do this sort of thing on their own with no medical grounds or supervision, just because "they are so special and know better what is right for them", despite the fact that they rarely have any scientific grounds for their... extreme ideas. By no means is a 500 Kcal a day diet recommended to anyone, except as a truly extreme measure, ordered by a medical professional, when other health issues far outweight the problems of such caloric deficit. It can, thus, be the lesser one of two evils, but even then I would argue that the ketosis period should be made as short as possible and the OP needs to switch to a more healthy caloric limit once the critical phase is through.

Still, she is really going to have to find out the root reason for her obesity and fix. Otherwise she'll just find herself again in the same situation later. I believe this will include building a healthy relationship to food too, which will take time learning for example portion control and how much food she really needs to consume daily to support a healthy weight. That generally applies to all of us here..

I don't feel that I know better then anyone on these threads, however, my doctor certainly does! There is nothing extreme about this diet and it has been around for years. I'm doing this for me not to impress anyone else and I really wish that all of this negativity could stop. You guys make me not want to be apart of this site! For some reason people like to tell you whats right for you when they don't even really know how to handle things themselves. Were all on this site because were over weight and needed to change that, part of changing was getting support. So were's the support? Like I said before we all use different methods to achieve the same results, if you don't like mine then fine. Stick to yours and I wish you good luck. Just do me a favor and spare me the lecture I have 2 bachelors degrees and 1 masters , I can read the same research you did. I'm intelligent enough to make my own decisions and chose whats best for me on my journey, so support that or get outta my way cause SKINNY here i come!
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    I do not believe in starvation mode as some sort of switch the body turns on.

I believe that insulin drives blood born fat into fat cells once combined with carbs, and I believe that glucagon aids in release fat from fat cells (causing the weight loss side of equation).

I believe the above system is regulated by the body according to the laws of homeostasis.

And that if followed precisely you are pretty much destined to rapid weight loss. I cannot imagine this as a 2 or 3 year diet, but as a medical intervention it has huge merit, even if it seems dramatic.

I wish you great success!

I know the hard part will be mental. So be strong. Drink water when you get hungry, and find alternate sources for emotional pleasure and distraction (not food).

I am curious as to what exercise regimen they have advised along with the diet, or should you remain somewhere sedentary?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No you're right. Let's not attack. Let's let people promote disordered eating patterns. It's much, much nicer.
    Toddle over to the other thread the same poster started on the same topic, and read the account of the person whose life and health was wrecked by these dangerous practices. And then let's chat about what's nice and what's not.

I'm sure your right DR........... Oh wait, right! I'm sure people have a lot of concerns as they do for ANY diet . It's like taking a new pill for an illness, some people will have great results and be just fine no side effects. Others will have issues. Hell when people have weight loss surgery they eat far less and do just fine, and guess what, their doctors approved that to! I doubt all of the people you speak of were under a doctors care. Regardless since you seem to be stuck on being negative, feel free to comment on that thread because as she said in the title it's for supporters. I just don't get why people want to bash it so much. Obviously we are determined and have our minds set on what were doing so be supportive or just leave it alone. Good luck in your journey.

I know several people who have had weight loss surgery and they are not "just fine." Not one of them.

Just sayin'.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend this site is just like life. Everybody will Not support nor understand what you do. Don't waste good time responding to those who refuse to let you live your life. No one can judge you for trying something different under doctors orders. Personally i have not one clue about this diet you talk about. I wont defend or bash it. I say if someone wants to know more they need to go see their doctor and get the full story. I wish you much luck and success.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. My weekdays are pretty hectic, so I usually get in 900-1200 calories. I also eat low carb. But it's not something I put a lot of effort to. It kind of just happends naturally. I skimmed thorugh your post so I don't know what your medical condition is, but I hope that your efforts will aid in treating it or keeping it under control.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options

I didn't take this as promoting per se.. It does offer another perspective though.

I agree about the dangerous practices but some times things must be taken at a case by case principle. And this means that a medical nutritional professional must be the one calling the shots! Not any layman!

The truly concerning thing is that normal weight or only slightly overweight people often do this sort of thing on their own with no medical grounds or supervision, just because "they are so special and know better what is right for them", despite the fact that they rarely have any scientific grounds for their... extreme ideas. By no means is a 500 Kcal a day diet recommended to anyone, except as a truly extreme measure, ordered by a medical professional, when other health issues far outweight the problems of such caloric deficit. It can, thus, be the lesser one of two evils, but even then I would argue that the ketosis period should be made as short as possible and the OP needs to switch to a more healthy caloric limit once the critical phase is through.

Still, she is really going to have to find out the root reason for her obesity and fix. Otherwise she'll just find herself again in the same situation later. I believe this will include building a healthy relationship to food too, which will take time learning for example portion control and how much food she really needs to consume daily to support a healthy weight. That generally applies to all of us here..

I don't feel that I know better then anyone on these threads, however, my doctor certainly does! There is nothing extreme about this diet and it has been around for years. I'm doing this for me not to impress anyone else and I really wish that all of this negativity could stop. You guys make me not want to be apart of this site! For some reason people like to tell you whats right for you when they don't even really know how to handle things themselves. Were all on this site because were over weight and needed to change that, part of changing was getting support. So were's the support? Like I said before we all use different methods to achieve the same results, if you don't like mine then fine. Stick to yours and I wish you good luck. Just do me a favor and spare me the lecture I have 2 bachelors degrees and 1 masters , I can read the same research you did. I'm intelligent enough to make my own decisions and chose whats best for me on my journey, so support that or get outta my way cause SKINNY here i come!

Ouchy, no need to be so defensive - I thought that was actually quite sensible advice you were provided with there! Good luck living on 500 cals. I wouldn't do it, I joined this site to have a healthy relationship with food.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You go girl you tell em, I agree if it working and you and your dr are monitoring then go for it. You have my support I would like to follow we all need to know about. Kudos to you. Keep in touch..Melva
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Well.. Frankly, for someone so smart, you sure are poor at understanding my text.

I answered from a neutral, pragmatic perspective to someone else "bashing" - as you put it - your text. Furthermore, I don't have anywhere near 100+ lbs to lose. I have finally gotten to the normal BMI range but would like to be about 10-20 lbs lighter, so our situations are COMPLETELY different!

You too referred to your doctor, who agrees with your diet, so your outburst is quite confusing. I have stated my confidence in medical professionals in this thread before - even in that very post - and have agreed also that such a diet can be beneficial for an obese person (I have read some studies about this too).

For all intents and purposes, I supported your opinion, so please, take your own advice of not attacking other people and most of all, use that intelligence of yours to actually understand what you read before random tirades.

Thank you very much.
  • wendyc122005
    Options
    Are you doing Medi?

I started Medi in June and used it for a month to kind of get control. I remain low cal and low carb. My weightloss is slower, but ultimately, for me I wanted to start a new life style that would continue into maintenance. When I was on Medi I stayed at the 500-600 cal mark. No I am typically staying below 1000. I am not hungry and I have learned to eat healthier, control my portions, look at labels, and watch for my pittfalls. As I get closer to my goal weight I will gradually add additional cals in the form of fruits and veggies and the occasional no-no. :)

For those of you interested in low cal, low carb recipes I have compiled a ton and would be glad to share my favorites if you are interested.

For those of you that have posted negative reactions . . . Sometimes it is difficult to see something that you feel strongly about and understand anothers perspective. When your weight is out of control it effects so many things. We all know the health risks of obesity, but unless you have experienced it you don't recognize the emotional issues that are detrimental to all aspects of your life including your health. So often obesity will put you on the sidelines of your own life. There is enjoyment that is lost from your inability to do things, your lack of confidence, and the negative reaction that other folks have. Your life can be perfect in every other aspect, but your weight RULES everything. You see what you have become and want so desparately to change it, but it seems insurmountable when you think about making a change. For some a jump start with a radical diet change is needed to see results and continue on a journey to a better you. Sure there are people that can't maintain the loss and haven't learned a lifestyle change that will sustain them, but there are a percentage that will see what they can be as a healthy, connfident individual and incorporate healthy eating and exercise for a lifetime. Any dieter can regain the weight regardless of the program that they use. I have seen lots of folks on these boards that are on their 2nd and 3rd time around. Good for them and anyone who tries to make a better life for themselves!
  • Theselast50lbs
    Options
    Gesh, the lady said on SEVERAL occassions that she is a special case and it WAS in fact doctor recommended, what happens between her and her physician is her business, and she needs support like the rest of US, which is why we joined this site in the first place. The simplist option is to NOT respond, we never ever know what someone is going through from day to day, maybe she needed good words, not your opinion (which you so clearly feels trumphs her doctors.)

That being said- I wish you luck and I am praying that whatever the circumstance may be, that this diet works out in your favor. You have to do what is best for you, and it sounds like you took all the necessary resources to make sure it was a good fit.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    First off - Alot of people give Drs too much credit when it comes to nutrition. In case most of you know, what a Dr. learns about nutrition is about a weeks worth out of the 7 years they're in school. Bottom line, they know about as much as the average joe that does a bit of reading on the subject. Not too mention the kickbacks they get from some of these places.

Anyhow, listen to your Dr. as if he's god and you should be alright. :huh: For me, I would NEVER listen to my Dr for nutrition advice as I probably know more than he does.
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are so negative about this, I with the help of my doctor, started zig-zagging calories under 1200 every three days. Because I was SO overweight it was the right choice for me I weighed 360 pounds which is not healthy at all, so it was more healthy for me to go extremely restricted on calories just make sure you listen to your body when you feel ill and make sure you are taking vitamins, but I wish you the best of luck because I am 1 year into doing this and guess what? I haven't gained a pound back and I think I could eat like this for the rest of my life! (before people start jumping my bones about this, I am only going under 1200 2 days a week to keep from metabolism slow down :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are so negative about this, I with the help of my doctor, started zig-zagging calories under 1200 every three days. Because I was SO overweight it was the right choice for me I weighed 360 pounds which is not healthy at all, so it was more healthy for me to go extremely restricted on calories just make sure you listen to your body when you feel ill and make sure you are taking vitamins, but I wish you the best of luck because I am 1 year into doing this and guess what? I haven't gained a pound back and I think I could eat like this for the rest of my life! (before people start jumping my bones about this, I am only going under 1200 2 days a week to keep from metabolism slow down :)

What you're describing is not even comparable.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

What you're talking about is no where near what the OP is doing. Actually, what you're doing is a good way to do it. Dropping below 1200 a few times isn't going to cause any problems, but being at 500 cals for more than 1-2 days at a time is ridiculous and any Dr that recommends that should have his license revoked.
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    So how do people transition to normal eating after they've lost the desired amount of weight w/o regaining? My concern would be if my body is used to 500 cals then when I started eating for maintenance it would go haywire.

I'd REALLY love to see replies from people who've successfully done this and actually kept the weight off long term.

I'll wait...
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I still remember when all the doctors started prescribing phen-phen because it was such a great weight loss product. It had to be healthy because you had to be under a doctors care to get it right? Now all those people have to show for it is weight gain and life long heart problems. I understand everyone wants that quick fix and wants to see results overnight, but in this game those with patience fair much better in the long run.
  • PurplePonyDoc
    Options
    I say you go for it! :happy: That's what I love about this site!!! There is no right or wrong answer to weight loss (I always get mad watching the Biggest Loser, because they're always preaching calories in versus calories out). It's not that simple!!!!!! There are so many other factors in play for each of us individually. This site is a food/exercise log only. How you choose to eat and work out is all on you, no one else. We are here for us, and to support others with similar struggles, and I'm here for you!!!!
  • dutchess48
    Options
    So how do people transition to normal eating after they've lost the desired amount of weight w/o regaining? My concern would be if my body is used to 500 cals then when I started eating for maintenance it would go haywire.

I'd REALLY love to see replies from people who've successfully done this and actually kept the weight off long term.

I'll wait...

First let me say once again thank you to all the self-appointed DR's on this site for your negativity . Were not asking for anyone's approval as I am the only one who will have to take this weight off. I'm sure you feel that your smarter then my doctor (by the way to the above poster who knows nothing about my situation or my doctors education) but I find it insulting to call my doctors character and qualifications into question. This started as a thread for support and quickly turned into a "I know what's better for you" thread. Well guess what you DON'T! Your all on this site because right now or at one time you were over weight and you needed help so please don't play the authority here on something you clearly struggle with as well. STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE! I'm a very positive person and I love the idea of this site because people who don't get supported in their everyday life can feel supported here. However, it's seems that some of you just don't get it. Your more interested in getting your point across (that may be right for you but isn't for me) that you don't see that your being a bully. I don't need people to lecture me and put me down for trying to better myself.
  • dutchess48
    Options

I'll wait...

To answer your question, i lost 40 lbs on my first round of the diet and have managed to keep off 34.
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I'll wait...

First let me say once again thank you to all the self-appointed DR's on this site for your negativity . Were not asking for anyone's approval as I am the only one who will have to take this weight off. I'm sure you feel that your smarter then my doctor (by the way to the above poster who knows nothing about my situation or my doctors education) but I find it insulting to call my doctors character and qualifications into question. This started as a thread for support and quickly turned into a "I know what's better for you" thread. Well guess what you DON'T! Your all on this site because right now or at one time you were over weight and you needed help so please don't play the authority here on something you clearly struggle with as well. STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE! I'm a very positive person and I love the idea of this site because people who don't get supported in their everyday life can feel supported here. However, it's seems that some of you just don't get it. Your more interested in getting your point across (that may be right for you but isn't for me) that you don't see that your being a bully. I don't need people to lecture me and put me down for trying to better myself.

I'm confused. When did I call anybody's character or qualifications into question? I asked those questions because I truly want to know the answers. Why so defensive if you're so sure of what you're doing?

How does one keep the weight off when they get off of the 500 calorie diet? You're still on the diet but I want to know what happens when you start eating 1200 cals or more a day? I really want to hear from people who've done it successfully.
This discussion has been closed.