How much can your weight fluctuate day to day?

Options
If you weigh yourself everyday is there sometimes large heights or drops (1-2lbs) occasionally? I'm wondering because somehow my weight spiked almost 2lbs since yesterday. Now I know that's impossible for it to truly be like that since I didn't eat like 7000 extra calories or anything, but what would cause this?

Replies

• mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I find that my weight easily fluctuate 1-2 pound.

I have been following my weight for some time to become aware of these fluctuations at most days I weigh in about 2 pounds lower than I weighed in at before I went to bed.

1-2 pounds is nothing or the human body
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Mine fluctuates easily day to day and within the day...I have gone down 2..up 3 and then down another 3 or 4. That is why I only officially weigh myself once a week to make that the one day accurate count. I weigh on Monday morning before I eat breakfast.
  • rsqsquad05
    Options
    Mine does that too. I stay between 115 - 120 and I've lost and gained as much as 2 lb. I'll go 115.6 one day and 117.8 the next. I dont worry about it too much as long as I'm staying in the 5lb range. ...Maybe water weight?? I dunno.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds in any given 24 hour period.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It can definitely fluctuate from day to day. I actually read 3lbs somewhere but basically you get the idea after all these replies. Find one day out of the week where you way yourself and that's the only day that actually count. For instance, I "weigh-out" every Sat morning. I check my weight everyday but the only day that I give any merit to is Sat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It can also vary throughout the day, so always weigh yourself at the same time. Whether you pick morning, afternoon, or night, keep it consistent. This is why it's always better to have a goal range, rather than an actual goal weight. My current goal is 185-195, so as long as I'm within that range, I'll move to my next goal.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's actually supposed to be 3% of your body weight. So if you weigh 200 pounds, you can fluctuate 6 lbs, etc.

It fluctuates acutely based on food/water intake/outtake, and it should consistently drop a little throughout the day because inhaled air is less dense than exhaled air (you exhale more carbon dioxide, and you exhale at 100% humidity, so you lose a bit of water that way too).

Just know what's normal and what's not. If your weight trends down, you're doing it right!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    3-5 pounds, for me.

Adding that eating extra carbs or sodium can affect me for several days. It seems to take 1-3 days to get rid of the extra bloat.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I've fluctuated up to 4lbs!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kapeluza
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    my weight fluctuates 1-3 pounds . water, bloating , eating food all make your weight go up and down through the day
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Time of the month? Fluctuations for me are 3-4 pounds.
  • cacraft
    Options
    I like to weigh myself first thing in the morning. Same time, same attire. Still there are days I seem to gain. I often thought it was due to my menstrual cycle and water gain, but who knows. I know I haven't cheated on my eating plan, so I don't fret about it too much. It'll sort itself out.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    as much as 7-8lbs depending a variety of factors, scale weight is just a number though, use the mirror and measurements instead
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    On a normal day 2 pounds. If i drink alcohol or binge eat, or im having my period maybe twice as much.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    just for kicks and giggles i weigh every day, and mine can fluctuate up to 5 pounds from day to day. It's water weight, i can eat exactly the same food for a week, but an extra glass of tea or bottle of water can throw it. Try lemon juice mixed in water, whatever concentration you can tolerate. it should drop extra water weight, but dont be concerned.
  • lthurn2005
    Options
    I think fluctuating depends on your weight as we as what you drank/ate during the while day. I know my wt can fluctate uo to like 6 pounds or so! good luck and try to weight once a wk only:)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    It's actually supposed to be 3% of your body weight. So if you weigh 200 pounds, you can fluctuate 6 lbs, etc.

It fluctuates acutely based on food/water intake/outtake, and it should consistently drop a little throughout the day because inhaled air is less dense than exhaled air (you exhale more carbon dioxide, and you exhale at 100% humidity, so you lose a bit of water that way too).

Just know what's normal and what's not. If your weight trends down, you're doing it right!

I don't know about you, but I breathe 24 hours a day. I don't think my expulsion of carbon dioxide during the daylight hours changes my weight.
  • maryrichardson112
    Options
    If you drink 2 glass of water then your weight would be a pound heavier so it depends what you eat/drink and when you step on the scales. It is best to check your weight when you wake before you eat and drink and after the bathroom.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates anywhere between 6-10 lbs during the day. I weigh 210