Calculating sporting calories

Options
How do you do it?

I play a sport similar to basketball so I use the calories for basketball (both game and non-game i.e. training) but the calories burnt seem extraordinarily high... anyone know how to check them?

Also I know we are supposed to eat what we burn but if these are correct I'd be doubling my intake for the day - I'm on 1200 kcal a day, that can't be right surely? Apart from anything such large amounts would make it hard to maintain smaller amounts on other days (I do 4 days of high cal burn and 3 days of almost nothing).

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I agree they do seem massively high. I either enter half the time I actually played for or half the calorie estimate it gives as I just can't believe it.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The only way to really know is using a HRM. However mine is big and bulky and I can't really wear it while playing. So i usually only count half the calories MFP gives me.
  • kimziebaby
    kimziebaby Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wonder how many calories i burn in a wrestling match?
    Dayumm.
  • kbcara
    kbcara Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes there is no way I could wear any kind of equipment as I play competitively - don't want to halve them if I don't have to either ;0) .... must be some kind of calculation I can get from somewhere!?
  • Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is no real way to calculate something like this with any sort of accuracy for ordinary people. The numbers MFP assigns to all activities tends to be high in my opinion but when compared to things such as running (10mph) and circuit training or hiking, items like basketball are in line with the others.

A lot of it depends on how you play the game. If you are playing full court and are very active while playing then you are doing a lot of work. Sprints, squats, jumps, arms, shoulders, etc...