I Just Dont See It

Options
I have started losing weight this year and am now down 35 lbs, and last time i measured i was down 22 inches. I just dont see it though. People are constantly telling me how great i look, i have gone down 4 clothes sizes, but when I look in the mirror i still see what I started out as. I am about 5 lbs away from my goal weight, but I keep thinking it is just not enough cause I dont think i am looking as good as i did last time I was my goal weight. Does anyone else have this problem? what do you to that helps?

Replies

• EuroDriver
    Options
    my 2 cents :P

people look in the mirror n go.. oh i got lots of fat on me i need to loose... they run 5k everyday then go bike for 10k.. eat next to nothing... then they drop weight and their happy but look in the mirror n they look exactly the same just thinner...

u need muscle under the fat so u have to lift weights! if you want that sexy firm, curvey, healthy body... u HAVE to lift weights and build muscle to get that... there is no way around it!

i hope thats whats the effect u ment... n if ur not lifiting weights start asap
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    well, your profile pic looks hot, so i guess i'm in with everyone that thinks you look great!

sometimes your brain just plays mean tricks on you, and you might just need to make an active and agressive campaign to not let your paranoid mind take away your glory! i'm the same way, and i think it's a fairly common thing that people losing weight go through.

also, you might want to pick up some strength training routines - you might be at your ideal size once you hit goal, but you could tone up, and that could help too.

bottom line: you've worked hard and you should be celebrating your victory! easier said than done sometimes, but you'll find a way! best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    (1) We are our own worst critics, and often fail to see real change when it has occurred. There is always the possibility that you are just not seeing a real change because it has been too gradual for you to notice.

(2) Check you % body fat. There is always the possibility that you were leaner last time you were at your goal weight. If that is the case and your % body fat is higher than you'd like, you may choose to reassess your goal weight and change your exercise routine to match what you are really trying to achieve.

Personally, my stated goal weight on here is not my goal. I don't know with certainty what my "goal weight" is because my real goal relates to % body fat. I want to get within striking distance of a healthy weight range (in my case I want to get to 190 lbs.) and then determine that I'm done losing and switch to maintenance when I reach a % body fat between 15% and 20%.

I suspect in your case it's a little of both above. If people are noticing then the difference is real. If you really feel it doesn't match your expectations and memory, then you really may need to reassess your goals. Just something to mull over.
  • vwfrog
    vwfrog Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT! Look at that <tiny> little waist! Great job!

I agree with the other posters, try some weights / resistance training. Being a military spouse (yay! thank you to your hubby and to you for your support!), you have access to the gyms on base, AND the classes! There are always some sort of aerobics, yoga, strength, etc classes offered by MWR. Swing by the gym and pick up a schedule! (and go to a class!)

~vw
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I have started losing weight this year and am now down 35 lbs, and last time i measured i was down 22 inches. I just dont see it though. People are constantly telling me how great i look, i have gone down 4 clothes sizes, but when I look in the mirror i still see what I started out as. I am about 5 lbs away from my goal weight, but I keep thinking it is just not enough cause I dont think i am looking as good as i did last time I was my goal weight. Does anyone else have this problem? what do you to that helps?

Hi there...............

I think that we, as an American society, have many "false" body image ideas thrown at us every day. We don't like what we see, because we're bombarded with the "ideals" of beauty - many of which are unattainable to the average person. Everyone is different, and the fact that you're dissatisfied with how you look is probably based on some false image you have in your head.

I found some good articles about body image that might help you. You don't have to strive for perfection - just LOVE YOURSELF!

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/body-image-23374.htm
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Put on some clothes from a year ago to see how different you look in them.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Look at pics of yourself before you lost weight while looking at yourself in the mirror. I do this because I have a hard time being too judgmental of myself. With the pic there it's undeniable proof.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it take our "mind's eye" 6 months to catch up with reality, and if we're particularly tough on ourselves even longer if ever. I would suggest talking to someone about self image issues to help you though this. We all go through something like this, it's just more difficult on some people than others.
  • butterfly3747
    Options
    Put on some clothes from a year ago to see how different you look in them.

I like this one!