Taking the plunge--need some support

Options
Hey guys!

Oopsies. Yeah, oopsies. Once again, Phoenix does everything backwards. Most people overindulge during the holidays. I had my little indulgences, but I was determined not to go hog wild. I went a bit in the other direction. I'm eating too little now. I think I should be eating between 1300 and 1400 (sans exercise), as I'm 5'4" , 18 years, and weigh 143. I've been coming up quite a bit short the past week. Not concentration camp or anything, but enough to slow my metabolism down. As a result, I'm pretty sure I've gained a few pounds. I've been exercising, though not as rigorously as when I was at college. Last week wasn't the best--200 minutes of cardio and strength (time was longer for strength but I try to get a better calories burned reading, so I reduce the time on the chart)

To reverse the effects and get back on track, I should up the calories and increase the cardio, right?

Anyone got any numerical suggestions?

I guess beyond that, I'd really love a bit of support. I forget who, but I remember seeing a comment about being too chicken to go up to 1400 cals. Haha, that's so me at the moment. I have visions of upping the calories and looking like I did a year ago, which is enough to send me into convulsive pushups. Rationally, I figure that's the only way to get back on track, but a little encouragement would feel so good.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Oopsies. Yeah, oopsies. Once again, Phoenix does everything backwards. Most people overindulge during the holidays. I had my little indulgences, but I was determined not to go hog wild. I went a bit in the other direction. I'm eating too little now. I think I should be eating between 1300 and 1400 (sans exercise), as I'm 5'4" , 18 years, and weigh 143. I've been coming up quite a bit short the past week. Not concentration camp or anything, but enough to slow my metabolism down. As a result, I'm pretty sure I've gained a few pounds. I've been exercising, though not as rigorously as when I was at college. Last week wasn't the best--200 minutes of cardio and strength (time was longer for strength but I try to get a better calories burned reading, so I reduce the time on the chart)

To reverse the effects and get back on track, I should up the calories and increase the cardio, right?

I guess beyond that, I'd really love a bit of support. I forget who, but I remember seeing a comment about being too chicken to go up to 1400 cals. Haha, that's so me at the moment. I have visions of upping the calories and looking like I did a year ago, which is enough to send me into convulsive pushups. Rationally, I figure that's the only way to get back on track, but a little encouragement would feel so good.

Thanks guys!
  • nicolet04
    nicolet04 Posts: 830
    Options
    i think im the one that posted that im too chicken to bump up my calories:ohwell: lol..so im probably not that much help....but good luck!!!:flowerforyou:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Thanks guys!

The Curves book has a really great way to "reset" your metabolism if you've been crash dieting or eating too few calories. I would google "resetting your metabolism" or see if your library has the Curves book...(I'd just type what it says but I don't have the book here with me right now)...that's probably not a whole lot of help, but that's what came to mind when I read your post.
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    Ok, I'll look into that. Thanks guys!
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    Ok, today is my goal:

1200 calories!

Hopefully I'll make it. If so, I'll stay at it for uh...a week? Then I'll jack it up to 1300. Then if I'm feeling REALLY balls-out and hardcore, 1400.

That sound like a plan? I don't want to pack on the pounds while my metabolism is recovering, so I think doing it gradually might be better than diving back into the game.

Still guys...the emotionally screwy Phoen!x is nervous. It's only her rational intellect whispering "Well, it can't exactly get WORSE outside of crazy girl binging or outright anorexia--there's nowhere to go but up!" that's making her really buckle down and commit.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Dear Phoenix :flowerforyou:
    Here are a few of the treads that have helped me a lot to understrand weight loss better. Every body is a little different and you might have to tweak your calorie intake a little. Especially read the poast about 700 calories a day and being overweight, it really opened my eyes.
    LINKS in MFP you want to read again (and again)
    I hope this will help you to better understand and maybe even make you see a difference in what you have been doing. I wish you success
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion. :heart:

See, I know that eating too little is bad. I understand the science, I see the results. But sometimes it's hard. Like, it creeps up. For a few days it was more just me not doing much and therefore not being too hungry. But for some reason my body adjusts really quickly to lessened levels of food. So it's hard to get back into the swing.