Help with Friends and parties

I am a recent heart attack survivor and while admittedly anal on things like sodium, saturated fat and sugar (I am also diabetic, I came to find out), I really try not to drive those around me nuts as I try to loose weight and keep inside the limits of the diabetic and heart associations. Basically I come from a blue collar background and all my old friends are really great down to earth people who believe that good nutrition for an afternoon watching football is to consume a 12 pack of LIGHT beer and add some onion to the deep dish sausage pizza.

Yesterday I attended a combination football and surprise birthday party for my best friends wife over at their house. While I anticipated some problems with foods and brought a bag of baby carrots and a can on unsalted almonds over for munchies during the game, i was not prepared for the buffet. Lets just say that the healthiest thing on the table were original recipe chicken strips from KFC (except the 6 small celery sticks in a far corner). Even the birthday cake was a cheesecake from the cheesecake factory.

I knew that everything was bad in some way so I made a quick pass taking a little of what I hoped was not too bad (and 4 of six of the sticks). I did horribly on that but it could have been far worse.

But the problem part is that I attempted to just put the temptation out of reach by quietly going into the TV room and watching the late games (but did make some trips back into the kitchen where the party was congregated around the serving table piled high with fats, sugar and sodium laden goodies -- most of which I used to love to eat)

My wife caught me "avoiding everybody" and we had a huge fight after we got home based on how anti-social I am.

What I need help on is this -- Is there any way anybody has had success in being in the a similar situation and standing around chatting with friends while all the "goodies" remain in arm's reach and fighting back the temptation to "just take one more"

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    I am horrible with this! If food is out, I eat it. Good job on bringing your own snacks. I guess my only tip would be to try and encourage everybody to grab a plate (rather than stand around the table and eat), and sit back down, since it's not like you're going to be stealing food off their plates!
    Also, does your wife know you are trying to eat healthier? Explain to her that the temptation of standing there while everybody eats is a lot and it is hard right now. She could help by encouraging everybody to congregate away from the food.
    But yes, I am with you. If a plate of cookies is in front of me, I am not going be able to stand there and watch it. At my Superbowl party last year, I just overate a lot because I would keep going back for just one more treat! I am sorry I am not much help, but I do sympathize with you!
  • amewha
    amewha Posts: 25 Member
    I have had some success with keeping my hands full, glass of water in one, and anything else in the other. I also try to position myself so that I am looking away from the table of goodies.

In some situations with very pushy people I will refill my empty beer bottle with water and they are none the wiser.

Next time you could also grab one of the large party trays of mixed vegetables to bring to the party. Even if no one else wants them at least you will have a great selection of nice healthy foods to snack on.
  • WBoulay
    WBoulay Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks, that was some good advice. I will take it. I have used club soda and bitters (a bar ingredient in Manhattans and old fashions) for years as a way to keep people from forcing drinks on me.

Unfortunately, I was told a veggie tray was coming -- so did not buy and bring one myself but i will next time -- the Host might not like veggies, but at least he will have some choices!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    That's hard, I have NO willpower at parties.

Another food idea that is always impressive is to take a shrimp platter with cocktail sauce to share.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Sorry, but your wife sounds like she is an inconsiderate person if she gave you grief about staying away from those detrimental temptations. She of all people should be the most understanding since she knows your health condition. I say if you do go to those types of parties in the future, eat and fill up at home with healthy foods before hand so you can just say "no thanks I already ate" to the host. Bring a healthy dish if you want so that you can have something to snack on later just in case.