Looking 4 Gluten Free Recipes

Options
keledawn20
keledawn20 Posts: 23 Member
I have celiac disease but have not been following the g-free diet. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago and tried to do it but didn't get really much support at home cause no one liked the food I tried. Seems like all the pre-packaged foods that are gluten free are so high in calories or high in fat that I got discouraged and just basically gave up trying. I suffer on a daily basis and am now trying to go gluten fre AND lose about 80 lbs at the same time.
Please share any yummy gluten free recipes you have....PLEASE!?!

Thanks!

Replies

• kiwinermal
    Options
    Hi there--Here is a link to a site I found helpful.
    http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/recipes_bread/
    There are lots of great blogs, sites, and resourses on the web. When you have some time search "gluten free" and I bet you will find lots of great suggestions.
    Good luck!
  • rae125
    Options
    Corn tortillas are gluten free. That opens up a LOT of yummy Mexican foods!!
  • amsw1275
    amsw1275 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Fruits, vegetables, dairy, eggs, fish, poultry and beef are all gluten free. If you're looking for starches, quinoa is a great grain and nice to use in salads, as is millet, rice, corn, and potatoes. There are gluten free corn based pastas that are good, but require a few extra minutes boiling then most of the packaged instructions. Most ketchup and mustards are gluten free, as are herbs and spices. If you're looking for baking mixes, betty crocker and gluten free bisquick have decent product lines. You can make simple stir fries, substituting GF Tamari instead of soy sauce, which has wheat. Lots of options. If you're looking for specific recipes, let me know.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, I feel your pain.There are a lot of tasty GF products out there now but most are very high in cals/carbs, even the brown rice ones. Brown rice noodles are on the high end of the glycemic scale (darn, 'cos Tinkyada brand is really tasty.) What I am doing is following South Beach starting with level 1 (no carbs for the first 2 weeks.) Then I'm adding healthy carbs in slowly as per the regimen. I cannot go overboard or I will gain back my hard won lost pounds. Brown rice as a cooked grain is OK by level 3 of South Beach, but in products is a calorie hog.

Try quinoa and quinoa products when you need a friendly starch. It is a high-protein grain. Check out the glutenfreegoddess website - she's got a huge variety of recipes for many dietary needs.

If you are trying to lose weight, the sad truths are that you should be strictly GF because of your celiac, and you'll probably need to use GF products as an occasional treat rather than a usual part of your daily intake. Good luck! You can do this - you will feel so much better! And that will keep you going.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    You have to go G-free, especially if you have Celiac not just gluten intolerance, eating gluten with that level of reaction to it could lead to intestinal cancer.

I'd suggest reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Girl-Found-Loves-Back/dp/0470411643/ref=sr_1_72?ie=UTF8&qid=1315838954&sr=8-72

and checking out her blog, glutenfreegirl.com

This is my all-time favorite thing in my kitchen! http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Gluten-Free-Baking-Elizabeth-Barbone/dp/1891105418/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315839374&sr=8-1

Lots of ethnic foods are naturally GF (Indian, Mexican, Creole...), you can't eat breads/pastas, there is so much food in the world beyond the wheat.

Spaghetti squash is a great alternative to pasta, and honestly, it's best to eat clean unprocessed foods, especially if you have Celiac. You have to stop eating gluten though, if you have Celiac you are literally destroying your GI tract.

I become the most incredibly dorky foodie when I found out I was Celiac, I found a whole world of food that made me feel amazing and healthy, and I am so thankful that I was given the chance to live life without feeling sick all the time.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    we are trying gluten-free for 6 weeks to see if that helps with my husband's arthritis. you can check out my blog for some menu ideas. (www.everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com)

make sure things like salad dressing, soy sauce and barbeque sauce are gluten-free. you can substitute corn meal for bread crumbs on any recipe calling for those. they sell gluten-free bread in health food store for around $3 a loaf (we are not fans, but it works in a pinch). shaved carrots or zucchini works as a substitute for pasta. use corn tortillas for the base of a pizza.

here are some recipes we've tried and would make again:
    http://glutenfreemommy.com/bombay-chicken/
    http://www.bookofyum.com/blog/go-ahead-honey-gf-cauliflower-cheese-pie-in-hash-brown-crust-recipe-1996.html
    http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/gluten-free-jalapeno-popper-dip/
    http://restaurant-hospitality.com/recipes/rh_imp_8725/ (use rice paper)
    http://www.healthcastle.com/recipe_portobello_mushroom2.shtml

hope that gets you started!
  • LexyDawn
    Options
    Hi there,

You still have a lot of options. Try to remember that you can eat all of the meats, all vegetables, all fruits, all dairy and a lot of different grains. That might make it seem less daunting.

Gluten free pasta is good... corn is my favorite.

I don't eat a lot of gluten free bread replacements (bread, buns, pizza) as I find they are not that tasty. However, Ener-G brand makes good hamburger buns that I use for hamburgers and sandwiches. They are available at Safeway.... toast them for a 20-30 seconds before you use them.

I eat rice (brown, wild), quinoa or buckwheat cooked with stock instead of water and then I'll have some grilled meat and sauteed veggies along with the grain... Potatoes are also a good carb.... roasted with olive oil and spices...

When I first went gluten free I ate LOTS of tostitos tortilla chips and french fries/tater tots! It was so bad... but over time I learned to be gluten free and healthy.

Off the top of my head:
    Breakfast ideas: Brown rice hot cereal (Bob's Red Mill brand) with some berries, stevia and milk.
    Lunch: Salad with grilled chicken or fish
    Dinner: BBQ meat with rice and veggies, stirfrys, turkey meatballs with gluten free pasta or just served over fresh spinach...

You can do it too. At first it will seem less convenient and like a lot of work but eventually you will get used to it and you will FEEL so much better!!!!
  • Celiacgirl2
    Options
    Hi I have Celiac Disease and was diagnosed over 16 years ago. If I am making a pasta based meal, I make two seperate pots of pasta; otherwise, we all eat the same food. I generally cook from a normal cook book and just make adjustments. Potatoes, rice, vegetables, meats and whatever sauce I think of, salads, etc. I do go out and buy specials cereals and breads for myself, but we share all the rest. It is true, if you want quick and easy, off the shelf foods, they are expensive and very high in calories. Just eat normal foods and save those leftovers for yourself (for lunches). I don't bake, I thinking baking gluten-free is a little more difficult.

PS If you are from Canada, they have now passed the law that requires ALL food packaging (except alcoholic products) to clearly state whether it contains gluten or not (no more code words like "hydrolized plant protein"). Within the next year or two, all food companies will have to be in compliance. That will make shopping for normal food much easier!

Good luck. It is worth it!
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ is a good site for recipes
  • ShannonDerksen
    Options
    I've tried a bunch of recipies off of the glutenfreegoddess website and they've all been really great and tasty. I've messed around with some of the recipies to make them lower in calories (using applesauce instead of butter, etc). Try there and see what you think!