Is sweet & low healthy for you?

Because I have low iron I often have to drink a coffee in the morning to keep myself awake throughout the day.. instead of sugar I use sweet & low and instead of cream I use milk (skim). I've heard though that sweet & low can be unhealthy. If that's the case, does anyone know of any other sugar substitutes I can try that are low in calories?

Also I've switched to diet pop now but am concerned about the aspartame (sp?) .. is it dangerous? I'm trying to give up pop but it's going to hard :S

Thanks for the tips and advice,

~Ainsley

Replies

• Ainsley
    Ainsley Posts: 20
    Because I have low iron I often have to drink a coffee in the morning to keep myself awake throughout the day.. instead of sugar I use sweet & low and instead of cream I use milk (skim). I've heard though that sweet & low can be unhealthy. If that's the case, does anyone know of any other sugar substitutes I can try that are low in calories?

Also I've switched to diet pop now but am concerned about the aspartame (sp?) .. is it dangerous? I'm trying to give up pop but it's going to hard :S

Thanks for the tips and advice,

~Ainsley
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I personally do not recommend it. My daughter and I suffered from extreme migraines from aspartame. After discontinuing the use of it they went away. Also my husband who is diabetic and had been using it got aspartame poisioning.

I know there are many different opinions however I don't recommend it. There are other options. Stevia is a reasonable one and I know there are others that are natural as well.

I suggest checking out what is available where you are and finding out what the options are. I use stevia and honey most often or just plain sugar.

Good luck
  • NSweet
    NSweet Posts: 2
    Splender is better to me and does not leave an after taste. :drinker:
  • :drinker: I work graveyard and know about coffee for sure. I enjoy splenda and equal.
  • I use splenda in my coffee....It takes a little getting used to...but I rather enjoy it now. :flowerforyou: as far as Diet drinks go...I must admit I have never really drank them often. But they don't have any calories or fat....I think there is a little sodium but other than that I think they are ok. I like Deit Mountian Dew Code Red...and Deit Pepsi Jazz Strawberries and Cream. YUM!

Good Luck to you dear!!