Thought I'd be able to do at least a mile..

Options
Sooooo -- I've been doing the C25K (and loving it) but Saturday, I decided to try and jog without the program just to see how far I could go. I was thinking, I'd be able to do about a mile without slowing to a walk but unfortunately I think I only made it a little over half a mile.
Ultimately, I did make it MORE than a mile but it was a combination of jogging/walking.

I'm supposed to do my first 5k in the beginning of November so I was just hoping I'd be able to do the mile already with all the work I've been doing with the C25K (This is W4D1 for me).

So just curious -- how long did it take for some of you to be able to get up to a mile at a consistant [slow] jog?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You need to at least get to week 8 I'd guess.
    I did my first 5 mile, I went off way to fast. Just pace yourself, slow down. save some for the end.

Really, by the time you get though C25k, you will be fine.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing c25k (on Week 9, Day 2, technically)... I jog at ~10 mins per mile now, but was just a bit over that when I was on the treadmill during the earlier weeks of c25k, at 10:20 or so per mile. So I wouldn't have been jogging the mile straight until Week 5, Day 3, I suppose - the 20 minute run.

I think one of the great things about c25k is that it really eases you into running and gets your cardiovascular system conditioned to a bit of endurance exercise. So don't get discouraged if you try to push the boundaries and find it's a bit early - you'll get there very soon enough! :D

I'm sure you'll be just about ready by November for your 5k! Good luck! :)
  • wendyd247
    Options
    Don't get discouraged I am probable one of the worst runners out there. I started 3 months ago and could barely jog a 1/2 mile. I just kept at it I would job almost 5x a week. It took me probable 2 weeks once I put my mind too it to get up to a mile. I don't know how fast you are going, but try concentrating on your pace, breathing and posture. For me I rotated the my torso a lot when I ran and it would cause me too get major cramps and i would have to stop and walk. Also I have learned to slow my breathing down and also I figured out a pace that works for me. I am up too 8 miles now, but i jog it at a 12 min mile, of course my goal is distance not speed at the moment. Hope this helps out.

*** And awesome job for even getting out there and trying, keep up the good work!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged I am probable one of the worst runners out there. I started 3 months ago and could barely jog a 1/2 mile. I just kept at it I would job almost 5x a week. It took me probable 2 weeks once I put my mind too it to get up to a mile. I don't know how fast you are going, but try concentrating on your pace, breathing and posture. For me I rotated the my torso a lot when I ran and it would cause me too get major cramps and i would have to stop and walk. Also I have learned to slow my breathing down and also I figured out a pace that works for me. I am up too 8 miles now, but i jog it at a 12 min mile, of course my goal is distance not speed at the moment. Hope this helps out.

*** And awesome job for even getting out there and trying, keep up the good work!

Believe me, I'm not going very fast hehe. I figure for now, just getting out there and doing the distance is more important than how fast I do it.

I have yet to figure out the breathing thing that everyone talks about though. They say eventually you find your cadence with breathing and running. Hoping I find it soon!