Exercise during lunch?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lroppolo
    Lroppolo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a fitness center in the building I work in, so I go on my lunch hour. I spend about 45 to 50 minutes working out. the other 10 minutes is time for changing clothes, wiping myself down and refreshing my makeup/deodorant. I like being able to fit my workout in during my work day, so I don't have to rush home and try to work out. Once my butt hits the sofa when I get home, its all over and I lose motivation. Now I don't have to feel guilty if I just come home from work and sit down on the couch to chill.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I walk for 45 minutes at 3.5mph at lunch...it's not all flat either so I get a good work out, and I am a little sweaty, but not gross when I get back...then at 7:30pm I go to the gym for 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training. I walk at lunch mostly to get out of the office, and just in case I don't go to the gym that night, at least I did something.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I exercise at lunch. It's not my main workout - but every little bit helps. I use walking DVDs so I can walk when it's too hot, rainy, snowy, etc.
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    wow.. thanks so much for the feedback and I didn't realize how many people actually did something during their lunch.
    the takeaways: bring extra shoes, change of clothing (maybe just shirt), deodorant, wet wipes, and just get out there and do it!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea because it strengthens the muscles you use for sitting during the day, speeds up your heart, which will benefit you all afternoon. This info graphic gives the best explanation as to why exercising during the day is beneficial: http://www.medicalbillingandcoding.org/sitting-kills/
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do a full workout at lunch.....I am lucky because I have my own private bathroom in my office...with a shower!! I like working out at lunch so I don't have to take time away from the family after hours....and I have 4 kids....and three of them are in after school sports.....

And where do you work? I'd LOVE to have that setup!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If I can't get up to get in gear in the AM - I will do Yoga in the AM and my Cardio at lunch. I plan on running at lunch when the weather cools back off to get my winter run in. I may or may not get the opportunity to Shower. I often do cardio in the AM and will do Yoga in my office on my lunch hour, I just close the door - it's a small staffed office. It's too hot still to workout outdoors at lunch, but hopeful it cools down for those workouts soon.
  • jamesdelong
    Options
    got the d.o,, extra shoes, and clothes ready for today! thank you for the feedback. (got a wash cloth but need to get wet wipes as mentioned)
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I do a 30 min walk most days.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I work on a university campus so I like to get out for a walk on my lunch break. I walk for about 25 minutes each day when I can, usually just around the ring road on campus. It's nice when the students are out playing football or hockey on the astroturf as well.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    We have a "snack time" provided by our law firm every day at 3pm; while my coworkers are upstairs eating ice cream sandwiches and candy, 3x a week I sneak out to do my C25k run. It only takes 30 minutes and most of the time people don't even notice I'm gone.

I have to douse myself in cold water in the bathroom as soon as I get back though or I won't cool off, and it's a hassle to change back into work clothes, but it's better than skipping a workout (or eating ice cream at 3 just because it's there and it's free). If I'm not meeting with anyone, I just stay in workout clothes until the end of the day.

It has really freed up a lot of time after work too!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    how did your lunch time workout go???
  • jamesdelong
    Options
    30 minutes of walking is perfect.. I got my HRM and kept my rate right at 60% and tried not to go any higher so I wouldnt get all sweaty. about 160 calories burned but I get to enjoy the outdoors and it breaks the day up and work doesn't seem as long.