things to put in rice to make it less boring ?

Options
im wondering what you can mix with rice as a main meal to make it taste nice?

sometimes i make a curry rice with onions, sultanas and curry sauce
other times i have kimchi fried rice which is a korean food, basically just fermented cabbage

im wanting more options but peppers, tomatoes (apart from peeled, chopped canned ones) olives and mushrooms are off the list for me

meat wise i wouldnt mind adding a little tuna or chicken but the less calories the better !

im also not a particularly amazing cook so i dont want anything extravagent just quick and simple to make up~

any suggestions?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    siracha/hot sauce
    soy sauce
    black/red beans
    whip up some risotto which is super tasty
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :happy: I find when I add meat to rice it makes me it eat more rice. I just add different seasoning to it to make it taste better and leave it as a side dish. Chili powder if I'm having something spicy and sometimes add beans. Sauteed with egg whites in a little canola oil and low sodium soy sauce as a side with pork or chicken. Or cook it in low sodium chicken broth for everything else.
  • noface
    Options
    great ideas !
    i love hot stuff, beans are yummy, and ive never had risotto but i'm googling it now and it sounds perfect
    thanks c:
  • jimgould1
    jimgould1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Use fat free chicken/beef broth instead of water. Or use boulion cubes
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    peas, chopped scallions, soy or teriyaki sauce, sauteed onions, spinach. chopped up crystallized ginger pieces.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Use broth instead of water for extra flavor and seasonings to add extra flavor.

Can you eat squash? It's easy to cook and toss with rice.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    chicken broth
    rice vinegar
    soy sauce
  • soifua
    Options
    sometimes I sautee some onions and garlic then add rice and chicken broth, when it's done cooking I add drained black beans, some cumin and cayenne pepper, easy and yummy
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Stuff in rice? My Japanese aunt would poke you in the eye with a chop stick.

maybe that was to harsh. you can really put whatever on the rice. and there are always beans that can go in them too.
  • ericchastain
    ericchastain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sriracha makes everything better
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Try these:

garbanzo beans, lemon juice, feta cheese & dill (together)

toasted slivered almonds

black beans and chilli powder or cumin and scallions

sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and black olives (together)
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE rice and stewed tomatoes!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Sack it off! Why bother with rice when Quinoa is way nicer and is better for you? Sorry, I know that's no help really, but you shoud try it if you haven't already.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    MY FAVORITE IS PEAS, RICE, little butter and grated parm cheese !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM YUM !

Or some turkey chili !!!!!
  • noface
    Options
    so it sounds like i need to add chicken broth to my shopping list !
    at the risk of sounding incredibly dumb i dont think ive ever used it, im guessing stock cubes crumbled into some water ?

thanks for all the ideas, will stock up on some beans, sauces, stock and maybe some more veg
  • noface
    Options
    haha thats ok. i guess if i had my rice as a side dish it'd be okay plain but eating a whole bowl of it alone for dinner? bleh :(
  • Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    a little lime zest and dessicated coconut- Great with curry
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird but don't knock it till you try it:

Diced onions and raisins in brown rice.
    Seriously. The raisins get all round fat and juicy and almost become grapes again, and the sweetness offsets the onion-ness. My honey says he "hates" rice AND onions and he likes this dish. I pair it with pork chops made in the crock pot with applesauce till they fall apart..
  • noface
    Options
    thanks so much for the comments guys :) i have a list of things to buy now and it all sounds yummy
    im definitely interested in the broths, hot sauce, beans, squash, scallions, chilli powder, feta
    onion is one of my favourite foods so ill always try and put it in whatever i can lol

unfortunately i dont like peas or coconut ! but im grateful for all the suggestions

and robin52077 i agree it tastes delicious with fried onions and sultanas i think theyre similar but softer ?