Daily goals and what to eat

Options
So I'm somewhat new to this, and am trying to figure out how to eat on this plan. I have to keep to 1200 calories or below in order to lose around 2 lbs/week. I'm fine with the calories, but i'm noticing that I keep going over my protein, fiber and sugars. I had an apple with 1 tbsp of Jif peanut butter for a snack today, and that used up all of my daily sugars for the day. What happens if we go over in those areas, as opposed to the calories and fat, which I am able to keep within? I just find that the foods i'm eating to keep below the cal/fat numbers are generally high in protein, or in the apples case, sugar. From my Weight Watchers years, apples are encouraged. This diet seems to be more of a diabetic diet, so i'm not entirely sure how to balance all of these aspects. Also, any recommended snacks that will keep me full for longer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Jodi

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    personally i think a deficit of 20% to your maintenance level of cals is ideal, 1200 may be too low depending, on ht/wt/activity

as for going over in sugars it won't really effect weight loss as long as you maintain an adequate protein intake and a caloric deficit
  • wxkris
    Options
    I know you can set your own percentages for protein, fiber, sugars, etc, but I am interested to hear anyone's advice on proper amounts of those.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't honestly pay attention too much to the particulars, just the calories (and making sure the food I eat is healthy and not processed) and so far just keeping within my calorie range has been enough to make me feel full and satisfied, while still maintaining weight loss.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know you can set your own percentages for protein, fiber, sugars, etc, but I am interested to hear anyone's advice on proper amounts of those.

don't really use %/ratios shoot for minimums of protein and fats and fill in the rest how you please ( a mix of CHO/PRO/FAT)
    generally a min of 1g of protein per lb of lbm and .35g of fat per lb of bw
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The levels set to start with are just a default set - you can amend them to fit your own goals.

For instance, the protein %is very low - either reset your own %, or dont worry if you go over (anything up to 100-150g protein per day is fine)

Sugar -well, that's debatable. One piece of fruit will put you over, but it's fruit so it's gotta be healthy, right? Some people will say sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from, so you have to make your own mind up on that one.

If you've just started, focus on the calories first, and don't worry too much about the rest just yet.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I think it will all be different person to person.

For me, I don't have to watch sugars, carbs, sodium, etc - what I watch is calories. My body isn't sensitive to the other stuff - so I don't really pay much attention to it. Some people LOOK at a piece of bread or a cupcake and gain 10lbs, so it is really all about what works for YOUR body.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You don't look overweight so I think choosing 2lb a week is probably not the best idea (even though it sounds like it) 1200 is too low for most people unless you need to lose at least 70+ pounds. You probably want to to choose 1/2lb or 1lb at the most if you have <30 to lose.

Going over Protein is good -- MFP has those number defaults set completely backwards in my opinion. If you go over anything, that is the best one. I changed all of my defaults.

My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom
    Enter your calorie total and change your percentages (mine are 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat) I usually get 100-15g protein a day, and eat 70-90g carbs.

My Home > Settings > Diary Settings
    Choose what you want to track and name your own meals or times. (I cahnged mine to times instead of names like 7a-11a, 11a-3p etc)

EDIT: If diabetes runs in the family you definitely want to watch your carbs -- carbs=sugar.
    The main reason I eat the way I do is that I used to have Type II diabetes.
  • joditenzer
    Options
    Still trying to figure out what works for my body :) After 2 kids and passing 35 yo, my body is responding 180 degrees differently to how I used to eat in the past. Considering diabetes runs in my family, it's entirely possible that sugar is the culprit. I'll try watching only the calories and fat for now, and see how that goes. Thanks for the replies :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    For the most part, you don't have to worry about natural sugars from fruit and milk, you only need to watch refined and added sugars. You should also make sure your carbs are coming from whole grains and are not refined, "white" carbs. As far as your desired weight loss is concerned, 1200 calories is too low for most people. At the very least, make sure you're eating all your exercise calories, but definitely think about increasing your daily calorie goal. Losing 1 pound per week is much more realistic and achievable.