Need to add something to my day.....ideas needed!

Options
Hey everyone! So in the last few weeks my weight loss has kind of stalled and I believe that part of it is due to the fact that I struggle to get in all of my calories every day. Lately I end my days having consumed about 800-900 calories, which I know is way under the 1200 I should be eating. I have 2 problems that I could use your guys' help with. First, I feel full with what I eat. I am not hungry during the day, so I don't know how to fit in another 300-400 calories when I am already full. Second, I have noticed that for me personally, when I eat a lot of carb-rich food my weight loss really stalls. So I am trying to keep my carbs down. One area I know I can add to my calories is my dinners. I usually have one cooked chicken breast and 1 cup of broccoli. Does anyone have any suggestions for something healthy (preferrably not full of carbs) that I can add to my dinner or my day in general to help me get up to 1200 cals a day? Thanks!

Oh and my food diary is open, if you look at today's meal plan that is basically what I have every day (I am a student and sticking with food I know I can afford is the way life is until I graduate haha). Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are making really good choices for what you are eating. I would add a few whole food green smoothies as snacks in between meals. ie: what I had for am snack today. My diary is open also. The bananas, pineapple, and strawberries were frozen though. I did not add any water to the smoothie.
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hello. In addition to your normal dinner, try adding an extra chicken breast. They aren't that filling, but full of protein and provides some extra calories wihout adding carbs. You can also try protein powders in your water. Syntrax Nectar have some yummy ones that are only protein and no carbs or fats.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (the good kind that has more protein than sugar, like fage 0% )
    Quinoa (this is GOOD carbs and protein)
    Beans, Nuts
    Protein Shakes (I drink 2-3 a day -- I make them myself. Low carb, high protein, keep you full.

PS 1200 is probably too low to begin with -- and if you're not even getting that much, you might just be starving.
    I recently upped mine from 1200 to 1400 to get out of that rut.
  • genthel
    genthel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Add a AM and PM snack to your day.....fruit, 100 calorie packs, granola bars, yogurt, nuts. I find that when I have a snack between breakfast/lunch and between lunch/dinner it helps with weight loss. I am not really all that hungry either but I know that my body needs the calories and low carbs (I have a carb issue too). Good luck!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't eat a lot of carbs, but you should add some kind of whole wheat or whole grain to your dinner. You can also try adding beans. Also, for lunch you could add more turkey to your sandwich.

As a parent, I tell my kids that just because they are not hungry does not mean they should not eat. You don't need much...just something. Maybe for you, you could have a pieces of fruit and nuts in between meals. Also, how about adding a glass of nonfat milk?
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    One thing i would really watch is to make sure your protein is at least in the range of 60-80 grams a day. I was told by my doctor that during weightloss one must have 60-80 grams a day to maintain lean muscle mass. Also where you are under 1200, do you take a multi vitamin... or get your blood checked regularly? Under 1200 cal you should be monitored by a doc.

A protein shake is good suggestion. i have one each evening. i stay under 1200 cal, n yes have experienced stalls and plateaus... we all go through them while losing weight. I have written about them in my blog.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, the only thing I really see missing is some kind of fruit. Unfortunately they tend to have alot of carbs. I would recommend bacon - everything's better with bacon! and, no carbs.
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I make a fruit smoothie using berry fruit because it's lower on the glycemic index.

1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1/2 cup water
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 cup blueberries or strawberries.

It has 31 grams of protein alone. It does have some carbs but they are all good carbs. You should also try eating nuts. Almonds, cashews and sunflower seeds provide a lot of calories that are low carb for a small serving but will help you reach your caloric goal without having to eat a lot. I use to be guilty of eating under 1000 calories a day and I ended up putting my body in starvation mode and slowly started GAINING weight. Staying above 1200 calories has helped tremendously with my energy and now the scale is finally moving in the right direction.
  • michelleherinckx
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions :) I think I am going to add another cooked chicken to my day - either at dinner or chop it up and mix it in with my salad at lunch. And I don't know a lot about protein shakes but almost everyone recommended that, so I will definitely give it a try. I really appreciate everyone's support :)