Hamburger Soup

Options
JuniperT
JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
I plan on making hamburger soup but was wondering if anyone had any great recipe's they want to share. I want something healthy, I'm trying to watch my sodium so I want to take that into account. And it has to be kid friendly...but my kids pretty much eat anything!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I have no concept of what hamburger soup looks like! To me a burger is what you would get at McDonalds - no idea how that gets made into soup.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Here is a great recipe for an Italian Wedding soup that has meatballs in it. The recipe calls for ground chicken but I am sure you could use hamburger. You could adjust the sodium in the recipe. It was quite an amazing soup!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/italian-wedding-soup-recipe/index.html
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Do you mean ground beef? Hamburger to me is ground meat patties between buns.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hamburger soup!

Not quite a recipe, but here's what I do::flowerforyou:

5 oz chopped onions
    1 pound lean hamburger (crumble as you add it to the pot)
    1 can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
    4 cups low sodium beef stock
    1/2 cup dry barley
    1/2 cup dry great northern beans (soak these overnight)
    1 pound bag frozen mixed veggies

Add all ingredients to a large soup pot, bring to boil, cover, turn down to simmer, simmer for 5-6 hours. Enjoy!
    Makes 5 servings. The calories will vary, depends on what brands you use and what % fat is in your burger.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Pepper Soup uses hamburger
    from CookingLight.com

1/2 pound ground round 2 cups chopped green bell pepper 1 cup chopped onion 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted 1 1/2 cups hot cooked white rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

*Variations: for tomato soup I use Amy's or Progresso - Campbell's is super sweet (yuck). I also like to add some basil. You can use brown rice. Red & green pepper combo is nice.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I guess I mean ground beef...I've always known it as hamburger soup. One of these day's I'm going to try it with ground chicken and see if anyone notices. I've never heard of dry northern beans though, I might have to try those out!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    may sound like a nasty suggestion but have you tried the morningstar farms veggie crumbles? flavor is spot on texture is a little different though... I make everything with those and it's hard to tell the difference.. They are awesome!!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I guess I mean ground beef...I've always known it as hamburger soup. One of these day's I'm going to try it with ground chicken and see if anyone notices. I've never heard of dry northern beans though, I might have to try those out!

I have used ground turkey and it turned out great:love: