Injury took over

Options
Firstly i guess i should say that im a 26 yo female with a husband and 8 yr old son. As crappy as i have felt i know how lucky i am to have them both.I was Injured at work (im an EMT) on feb 28th i herniated my l5 s1 compressing the sciatic nerve in my left leg. I had surgery on june 20th, throughout this injury i have watched my weight climb 50lbs and feeling helpless to stop it. i can now do a little more and have started watching closely my food intake. I suffered from anorexia as a teen, and even now i find it easier not to eat, than to eat healthy. im so depressed and defeated. i feel like this injury has taken over my life! My husband is so loving but he doesnt understand why i am so upset by this, he says your hurt right now youll get better and lose it, so its not a big deal. Men, they really dont get it. so im here looking for help and answers.

Replies

• janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Are you able to do seated workouts with light weights at this point? At least it would be something and maybe give you a feeling of getting started and having some control.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you mean. I was sick for a long time, and couldn't exercise. I watched myself gain weight and was helpless to do anything about it. It is hard to explain to people that feeling of helplessness. Can you do any water exercises? I agree with trying light weights of some sort...experiment with what you can do. I don't know what to say about strengthening your core; maybe do some isometrics? Just tighten your tummy as tight as you can for as long as you can...do several reps; work on increasing the amount of time you can tighten. You also might want to find some low back exercises to gently strengthen that, I imagine it is quite weak after surgery. I love reverse sit ups (don't go all the way down, just rock back a bit) for this, but don't know the extent of your pain in that area