Just started jogging and looking for advice

Options
Hello Everyone,

I just started adding jogging to my exercise routine and was looking for advice/recommendations from those of you who have been jogging for a while.

After the first couple of times, I started feeling minor pain in my shins, so I went out to "The Running Room" and got myself a pair of really good Asic's running shoes. I am only able to interval jog/walk for now but am hoping to be able to build this up as I go.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for listening,

Alsison:flowerforyou:

Replies

• JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice is STRETCH!! I try to stretch for at least 5 minutes after a run, 10 after a long run. And stretch your shins by pointing/flexing and then writing the alphabet with your big toe. Also, don't be afraid to back off some. If your body is really hurting just do a short run or even skip a run.

Good luck!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Good! you've got the right footwear.
    Now...are you stretching? you absolutely HAVE to stretch both and after you run!
    Other than that, don't always go for speed (at least not now). I'd focus more on endurance and distance now because speed will come in time :)
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I suggest looking at the Couch to 5K (C25K), yoiu can google it. That program works for many people and if you want to build up to "running" for 30 minutes that is a good way to do it. :wink:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Asics are great shoes! I started running the same way you did. I was a pretty sad sight when I first started jogging. I would job for 1 minute, then walk for 2, but could only do that so many times. I eventually worked up to 9 min running and 1 minute walking and completed the Houston Marathon like that (yes, all 26.2 miles)! I would change your intervals week by week. Good luck!
  • diplomad
    Options
    Good choice on shoes. Love my Asics. Shoes are key, and will seriously cut down on pain.

If you are just starting, I suggest look at Couch to 5K. Its a great program that builds stamina and endurance QUICK!
    I started off on it not being able to run a 1/4 mile, but now I do 3-4 a day 6 days a week.
  • ibarrajoyce
    Options
    Start of slow. Even if you can only jog/run 1-2 miles 3x a week. Slowly build up your mileage. Always stretch before and after and always ice after for about 15 min. Also, chocolate milk is the best recovery drink after a run. Good luck and happy running!
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is the best! Im on week 4.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    Options
    u r prob already beyond needing this site but just in case. hope it helps.x
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I agree - couch to 5k got me running, I have injuries & tried running before, with this successfully got to 5k earlier this year.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am a pace leader at my local running club in charge of a run/walk group... our goal distance is half marathon and we have new groups each twenty weeks. Having completed 3 half marathons, my best advice: Start Slowly and Train Gradually. Don't add more than 10% increase per week in your weekly long run and make sure to rest. Your body benefits just as much from rest as it does the daily beating in running 5 days per week! Good luck!!!
  • tebumgarner
    Options
    If you are not doing it already, try couch to 5K. Try to not land on your heels as it sends shocks up your legs. Attempt midfoot or slightly on the ball of your foot and roll through. Your foot is a natural shock absorber, but landing on your heels takes that away. If you are getting discouraged during a run, slow down without breaking your runner's form. I think most new runners might try to go out to fast too much and quit before they get it. Good luck! It's the easiest, best way to burn calories in my opinion!!
  • tebumgarner
    Options
    If you are not doing it already, try couch to 5K. Try to not land on your heels as it sends shocks up your legs. Attempt midfoot or slightly on the ball of your foot and roll through. Your foot is a natural shock absorber, but landing on your heels takes that away. If you are getting discouraged during a run, slow down without breaking your runner's form. I think most new runners might try to go out to fast too much and quit before they get it. Good luck! It's the easiest, best way to burn calories in my opinion!!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    sounds like your doing well! I started just like you! I could only run a minute or 2, so I did intervals of walk/run, then I simply built up week by week. I like to read fitness and running magazines to get tips. I have found that strength training and plyometrics workouts really improve my running. Ive so far had no injuries. Im not competitive with others. My biggest competitor is "me". I dont want to measure up to anyone else. i just want to be better today than yesterday. Keep it up!
  • Atalante
    Atalante Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Alsison,

I'm sure you have heard this before, but still the most important advice is "take it slowly". It takes at least 3-4 months for your muscle and sinew to adjust completely to a new pattern of movement and exercise; whereas your respiratory system will adjust very soon (within 1-2 months). What happens to a lot of people (includíng myself before I wised up) is that they start to move on too fast when they feel able to do so after 1-2 months. Your muscle or sinew will then react because they have not adjusted yet. In my case I got a painful and extremely stubborn tendonitis in my Achilles tendon last time I moved on too fast.
    So slowly, slowly, slowly increase the amount of exercise, depending on your general condition of course, and try to include some muscle strengthening exercises as well.
    For the pain in your shins I recommend streching: Put your toes and forefoot of one leg on something slightly elevated, like a tree-root, and then press your body gently forwards for about 30 seconds until you feel it at the back of your leg. Change foot and repeat. Afterwards gently loosen the muscle on each leg with your hands.
    Congratulations on having started to jog - getting started is always the most difficult part - after about 1-3 months you will be able to enjoy it!
    All the best Atalante.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program if you're interested in getting to the point where you can run for an entire 3 miles. If, however, like me, you decide that walk/run intervals are the way to go, you might look into Jeff Galloway's training. Here is an example of walk/run intervals based on your running pace:

Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the training pace used:
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3:1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2:1
    13 min/mi—-1:1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

Right now, you're probably near the bottom of this table, I know I sure was when I started in April. I'm now running at about a 10-11 minute mile, so I'm running 3 minutes and walking for one minute for the first few miles and then I switch to 2:1 for the last few. I can go 5K a lot faster with this method than straight running.

ETA: Here's his website for beginning runners: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners.html
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    First rule, If it hurts STOP.

Generally though, get good shoes (check!) warm up and cool down, follow a plan of progression and don't over do it.

Injury sucks, so don't (e.g.) do more than 10% on distance or effort or time on successive runs.

If you can follow a program like c25k or similar, then do so. There are lots of ways to do this, e.g. podcasts, smart phone apps, just following instructions.

Find a running buddy!

Enjoy yourself!
  • Jillmgk36
    Jillmgk36 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I loved Couch to 5K. I never thought I could be a runner, and that still might be a loose translation of what I do, but I have lost 28 lbs altogether and done much better with weight loss since starting Ct5K. I have however had to battle injuries lately, and that has set me back endurance-wise (I had been up to 2-2 1/2 miles). I am working with a PT to address some issues with my own misaligned body that are creating some of these, as well as learning better stretching. i also invested in a good pair of shoes, with a fitting at a specialty store. i have done 2 5Ks now, but not been able to run wither one in its entirety due to my injury, but I am able to do a combo of jogging and walking which is still more than walking and still gives me a good burn. Good luck! I found a real sense of accomplishment is doing this.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have found that cement (running on sidewalks) hurt my shins. The blacktop and the track are a lot more "spongy" and are easier on your shins and knees. Just my 2 cents.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    http://www.bluefinapps.com/#ourapps

great couch to 5k app for the iphone!
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Love C25K and Galloway- started just like you and now training for a marathon in January. My advice is find the right shoe- for you! If you have always worn shoes that have a lot of cushion, arch support, heal lift, etc you will probably need to repeat that in a running shoe. However if you are used to wearing shoes daily with no support, a padded shoe can screw you up royally. Shoes are funny finnicky things and your shin splints may or may not be caused by them. sometimes when you start running it just takes a minute to figure out how to hold your body and that extra pain in the front of your shins is your lower body telling your upper body to "figure it out!" best of luck to you! I am sure you will do great!