Me: TRYING to losing weight Husband: TRYING to gaining weigh

Options
So me and my husband have been struggling with weight problems for a very long time. I can never seem to get more than 30 pounds off while he can never seem to get 5 pounds on!

my husband weighs 125 on the dot! (i never remember weighing this)
while i way 161 on a good day!

And to make things clear, I am 5' about 5'1" while he is 5'10"....?
No matter how much he eats he never gains a pound.

He has tried to use mfp, but he never sticks to it nor working out or eating healthy.

Its so hard to make him eat more because of course he makes me cook it for him and I get really tempted to eat some too, but on the same hand, it's hard for me to eat less calories and healthy becuase he feels pressured to eat the same thing I'm eating.

Any suggestions?

DSC_0423.jpg

littleblackdress9.jpg

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    of course he makes me cook it for him
    He WHAT?!?
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Same thing here! Except both of us use MFP every day. I plan the meals and he simply eats twice as much as I do. He also eats a lot of protein bars. Also, it doesn't help that he's a marathoner. On long run days, he gets to eat over 4000 calories!!! (the *kitten*!!) while I have to stick to my lame 1200 lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason that you shouldn't be eating the same things. Healthy food is healthy food. What should be different is the amount you eat (portions). For weight gain has your husband tried strength training to add muscle? Some lucky people just naturally have a fast metabolism and don't gain noticable fat. But eating unhealthily can still lead to disease. If I were trying to gain weight I'd pig out on healthy foods and lift weights.
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    You could try making 3 portions of whatever you're cooking, and giving him 2 thirds of it, and keep the remaining third for yourself so that he gets more to try and gain weight, but you can stick to your calories?
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Three plusses here...

1. I dont know if he's as young as you are but... youre young. Keep at it and you will get where you want to be.

2. youre gorgeous so dont be too worried...

3. he'll gain weight... just when he's 40. (But itll happen...)
  • whirschi
    Options
    I am in the EXACT same boat! My boyfriend and I live together and he is constantly trying to find ways to gain weight while I'm constantly trying to lose! I'm so envious of our skinny men! I have just cut down on portion sizes and I give him half of my food and it seems to be working for me! LOL
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i can't believe he only weighs 125 lbs. and he is 5'10!! that is suuper skinny haha!

maybe make yourself a healthy meal, and make him a few more calorie dense sides.

make grilled chicken and green beans and mashed potatoes - you eat the chicken and green beans - he eats it all plus the potatoes and maybe a slice of butter bread?

i don't know, i've never had this problem. try thinking of ways that he can "beef up" a healthy meal that you make.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Same exact boat here my hubby is 125, I am 150, he can't gain a pound!! All I can say lots of weight lifting can help you gain...
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    tell him to stop being lazy and cook his own food if he really wants to put on weight?
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You could try making 3 portions of whatever you're cooking, and giving him 2 thirds of it, and keep the remaining third for yourself so that he gets more to try and gain weight, but you can stick to your calories?

That's exactly what I do! :)
  • mrskaylaftw
    Options
    tellem to drink boost shakes/...when mydad had cancer he lost so much weight and he gained alot back drinking boost...

it was hard for him to gain

as for you...just follow the calorie plan on here.. and exercise and you will be alright:)

GL
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are the same way, but he enjoys making the effort to lift weights and build muscle. I normally cook the same foods for both of us, so meals are always healthy and weight loss friendly, he just eats about twice as much as I do. He also has two protein shakes throughout the day to help him up his calories. He doesn't count calories, I tried to get him on MFP but he said it was too much hassle and that I should just do it for him. So he just eats a ton. He was doing really well, gaining a pound a week, until he broke his rib snowboarding. He's hoping to get a weight set now that we have a house because we're too far in the country to go to the gym (which bums me out!).

The bottom line for your husband is that if he wants to gain weight, and by that I mean muscle, he'll do the work that's required. Only he can make that decision. If he's fine being skinny, let him be skinny. And just because he has a high metabolism doesn't mean he should just eat junk or ridiculously high calorie meals. It isn't healthy for him. My husband did that for most of his life and at 31 found out he has a higher cholesterol level than her should. That was a big wake up call for him and he committed to my healthy eating habits.

As far as you're concerned, stick with the MFP program, it will work. I know it's hard to burn fat, my body loves to hold onto it. But, getting exercise and eating healthy foods will get the job done! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. I'm pregnant right now, so I'm not trying to lose, but I gained a ton of knowledge about nutrition and exercising and would love to help you out if you need it!
  • Skeetsfish
    Options
    I'm the husband and I COOK almost EVERYTHING. Yeah I'm 125 on the dot and 5'10. I'm trying to get into a routine but at the moment it is hard as I work 8:30 everyday and then I'm a full time student and husband.

Lifting weights made me gain weight but it's a hassle getting to the gym as my commute is an hour.

I did however start lifting laundry detergent bottles, however they broke and spilled all over me. YUCK.

Thanks for all the replies..
  • bltmgray
    bltmgray Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have to tell you, you are not alone. Me and my husband were the say way. He would always want to gain, while I always want to lose. When I started my lifestyle change, I decied that I could not worry about him. I need to do this for me. So cook for you, not him. He has plenty of time, I'm sure, during the day to eat what he wants. When you are at home, he'll have to suck it up and eat what you cook. Besides, if he eats more than you, he will still be eating more calories and that what he needs. Good luck!
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    of course he makes me cook it for him
    He WHAT?!?

LOL!!! That's exactly what I was thinking!!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I fully understand what your husband is going through. Im 5'9" and when I graduated high school I only weight 120lbs. Now that I'm 28 years old, I'm at 155lbs, been up to 170 lbs during a bulk. It takes alot of food for me to gain weight, my brother who's my training and lifting partner is a lot like you. He's a bit bigger and has a hard time losing weight. He's about 192 lbs trying to shred down to 185lbs.

When we cook, we don't cook different meals cause we both want to eat as healthy as possible. But I just have to eat about 2 times as much food in order to gain, while my bro eats a smaller portioned meal to shred. During my bulk cycle I was also drinking 6 protein shakes a day with whole fat milk just to get the extra calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason that you shouldn't be eating the same things. Healthy food is healthy food. What should be different is the amount you eat (portions). For weight gain has your husband tried strength training to add muscle? Some lucky people just naturally have a fast metabolism and don't gain noticable fat. But eating unhealthily can still lead to disease. If I were trying to gain weight I'd pig out on healthy foods and lift weights.

this! i do the majority of the cooking, and make things i can have, and then do bigger portions for my other half. simples!! plus he has a glass of milk every day for extra cals.