Negative calories....something to consider

Options
A portion of brussel sprouts is worth 50 calories; yet 75 calories are used in digestion and absorption, so burning 25 calories of body fat. Other negative calories foods include broccoli, carrots, celery, leeks, apples, kiwis, satsumas and strawberries.

Please reply on other negative calories items.

Replies

• xalligator
    xalligator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Negative calories are a myth.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Where's that guy with the popcorn?
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I really don't think there are such things... here's an explanation:

http://caloriecount.about.com/negative-calories-myth-explained-b349703
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    That whole digestion thing is already covered by your BMR. No need to calculate calories burned by chewing, digesting, or pooping.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    all foods will take calories to digest and absorb - true story! but, i'm thinkingyou could do some google research because there is so much controversy on whether or not it actually burns MORE and are better to eat for that reason.

That said ALL those foods you mentioned are healthy ones, nothing wrong with that! :)
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The problem is, illwillie is clearly in very good shape, and so he could easily convince someone who is not informed or educated about diet or nutrition that these foods actually exist :/
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    I don't think any food can lower your BMR????
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There simply is no such thing as a negative calorie food.
    www.time.com/time/.../0,28804,1896439_1896359_1896346,00.html
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Anybody else have no idea what a satsuma is?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

An orange....that has calories like all food.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

An orange....that has calories like all food.

It's more like a clementine.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    The main challenge in this argument is simply the term "Negative".

Some people may consider that "well, since Celery is Negative, I'll just eat a bunch of Celery and that will counteract the BAcon Double Cheezeburger I had at lunch".

In this context, the argument of being "Negative" is false since you're till injesting food. You can't counteract something you've already eaten by eating more.

In the context as part of your regular diet: Eating Fresh Fibrous veggies, that is where the Thermal Effect of Food (TEF) comes into play where your metabolism gets a boost requireing more energy (as opposed to the BAcon Double Cheeseburger) to digest and process.

In that sense, it's valid.

It's all about the choices you make for the quality of food you take in at your meals. A Veggie Omelette with Broccoli, Peppers, Celery and such, will be better for your overall health (and metabolism) than a Big Mac and Fries.

It's a small difference in the context of a single meal....but taken over a longer time scale like a few months...can add up to a significant amount of calories....and that's what the whole lifestyle change is all about.

Problem with this argument however as it's debated, is most often in the context.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    A portion of brussel sprouts is worth 50 calories; yet 75 calories are used in digestion and absorption, so burning 25 calories of body fat. Other negative calories foods include broccoli, carrots, celery, leeks, apples, kiwis, satsumas and strawberries.

Please reply on other negative calories items.

Nice try but I don't burn 75 calories walking a mile, much less digesting some brussels sprouts. Let's not be ridiculous.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    LMAO if ONLY I could eat TONS and TONS of strawberries and apples all day long and not count it! :love: :laugh:

Seriously, one apple puts you to half your sugar intake. And it has 80 calories. you can NOT eat all you want and not count it. EVERYTHING counts.
    The digestion calories are part of your BMR and included in the number that is your goal calories. You need to log everything to be accurate.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The main challenge in this argument is simply the term "Negative".

Some people may consider that "well, since Celery is Negative, I'll just eat a bunch of Celery and that will counteract the BAcon Double Cheezeburger I had at lunch".

In this context, the argument of being "Negative" is false since you're till injesting food. You can't counteract something you've already eaten by eating more.

In the context as part of your regular diet: Eating Fresh Fibrous veggies, that is where the Thermal Effect of Food (TEF) comes into play where your metabolism gets a boost requireing more energy (as opposed to the BAcon Double Cheeseburger) to digest and process.

In that sense, it's valid.

It's all about the choices you make for the quality of food you take in at your meals. A Veggie Omelette with Broccoli, Peppers, Celery and such, will be better for your overall health (and metabolism) than a Big Mac and Fries.

It's a small difference in the context of a single meal....but taken over a longer time scale like a few months...can add up to a significant amount of calories....and that's what the whole lifestyle change is all about.

Problem with this argument however as it's debated, is most often in the context.

What a great explanation, thank you!
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lol, no such thing as negative calories.