Lunches I Can Freeze - Please Share One!

Options
I am looking for some easy recipes that I can put together and freeze. They need to be no more than 400 calories. (Even less is better) I prefer higher protein over higher carbs - but if it is good, I can work it in. IE: lasagna is not on the list.

Black Bean Chile
1 can of rinsed black beans
1 lg can of stewed or diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of salsa (whatever brand you like with chips)
1/2 cup of chopped onions
Spice as desired with chile powder, salt and pepper.

Makes four 150 cal lunches (about 1.5 cups each) It freezes well, microwaves easily. and it takes about 5 minutes from start to finish to prepare.

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Bump....

I'll add when I get home.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Minestrone soup freezes pretty well, as does chicken noodle.

You should check out Hungry Girl, she has a recipe for "Lasagna Cupcakes" instead of noodles you use won ton wrappers in her newest cookbook. I've made the lasagna cupcakes and they were WONDERFUL. I'm not sure if they freeze well, they never last that long at my house. ;) But they do make a great filling lunch, and you can tweek the ingredients to your liking.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I like this topic idea!!

I've grilled off chicken breasts before, then cut them into thin strips and frozen them into portioned baggies. then I just pop it in the microwave for a few minutes and I can put it into a sandwich or a salad.

I've also made my own mini frozen pizzas ...for a lower-carb option make them on a little 8" wrap or tortilla instead of thicker pieces or bread or mini crusts.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Lunch Wraps from All Recipes - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/make-ahead-lunch-wraps/detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups uncooked brown rice
    4 cups water
    4 (15 ounce) cans black beans
    2 (15.5 ounce) cans pinto beans
    1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn
    1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and
    green chiles
    16 (10 inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
    1 pound shredded pepperjack cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Combine rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and cool.
    2. Place black beans and pinto beans into a colander or strainer, and rinse. Add corn and diced tomatoes with green chilies, and toss to mix. Transfer to a large bowl, and mix in rice and cheese.
    3. Divide the mixture evenly among the tortillas, and roll up. Wrap individually in plastic wrap, place into a large freezer bag, and freeze. Reheat as needed in the microwave for lunch or snacks.
  • lovinglife71
    lovinglife71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about a whole lunch, but I buy a whole cabbage and divide it up into ziploc bags and add to a meal for a veggie, heats up great! Taste better the second time around! :)
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I love doing bean burritos: Black beans, salsa in the food processor (about a cup of each), a little cheddar cheese, a whole wheat tortilla and bake in the oven on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 400. Take out, let cool, freeze unwrapped so moisture doesn't make them soggy, then take out wrap up each individually and put in a freezer bag. Each burrito is around 259 and easy to defrost at work.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Chicken Chili

1 - 1 /2 lb. Chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
    1 can Black beans, drained
    1 can Pinto beans w/jalapenos, drained
    3 cans Mexican Stewed Tomatoes
    1 pkt Taco seasoning
    1 pkt Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing mix

Dump it all in a pot and let it cook for about an hour.

I usually divide into 6 bowls, which comes out per bowl to be:
    320 calories
    45 carbs
    2 gm fat

And yes I freeze this all the time. I usually will take it out in the morning and leave at my desk to thaw by lunch.
  • sigsone
    sigsone Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    bump
  • khuckaby1
    Options
    Bump
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    STuffed peppers.................

I don't use rice in mine.

Grass fed hamburger (1 lb)
    1/2 head of riced cauliflower
    1 cup of frozen spinach
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1/4 diced red, orange or yellow bell pepper
    2 medium tomatoes diced
    Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    4 green peppers par boiled to stuff the above mentioned in

Brown hamburger and then add all the vegetables, salt and pepper to taste. Fill the green peppers with the filling and place in 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.

Can garnish with a bit of cheese if that is to your liking.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Minestrone soup freezes pretty well, as does chicken noodle.

You should check out Hungry Girl, she has a recipe for "Lasagna Cupcakes" instead of noodles you use won ton wrappers in her newest cookbook. I've made the lasagna cupcakes and they were WONDERFUL. I'm not sure if they freeze well, they never last that long at my house. ;) But they do make a great filling lunch, and you can tweek the ingredients to your liking.

I am going to have to report this post. ;) Sounds awesome!
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    Lunch Wraps from All Recipes - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/make-ahead-lunch-wraps/detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups uncooked brown rice
    4 cups water
    4 (15 ounce) cans black beans
    2 (15.5 ounce) cans pinto beans
    1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn
    1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and
    green chiles
    16 (10 inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
    1 pound shredded pepperjack cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Combine rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and cool.
    2. Place black beans and pinto beans into a colander or strainer, and rinse. Add corn and diced tomatoes with green chilies, and toss to mix. Transfer to a large bowl, and mix in rice and cheese.
    3. Divide the mixture evenly among the tortillas, and roll up. Wrap individually in plastic wrap, place into a large freezer bag, and freeze. Reheat as needed in the microwave for lunch or snacks.

Thanks for the link!
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    I love doing bean burritos: Black beans, salsa in the food processor (about a cup of each), a little cheddar cheese, a whole wheat tortilla and bake in the oven on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 400. Take out, let cool, freeze unwrapped so moisture doesn't make them soggy, then take out wrap up each individually and put in a freezer bag. Each burrito is around 259 and easy to defrost at work.

I may give it a try - I am not much for the stove, but that was part of the problem. Thanks!
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    STuffed peppers.................

I don't use rice in mine.

Grass fed hamburger (1 lb)
    1/2 head of riced cauliflower
    1 cup of frozen spinach
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1/4 diced red, orange or yellow bell pepper
    2 medium tomatoes diced
    Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    4 green peppers par boiled to stuff the above mentioned in

Brown hamburger and then add all the vegetables, salt and pepper to taste. Fill the green peppers with the filling and place in 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.

Can garnish with a bit of cheese if that is to your liking.

I love stuffed peppers - might substitute red peppers so that rest of the gang will eat them!
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    Chicken Chili

1 - 1 /2 lb. Chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
    1 can Black beans, drained
    1 can Pinto beans w/jalapenos, drained
    3 cans Mexican Stewed Tomatoes
    1 pkt Taco seasoning
    1 pkt Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing mix

Dump it all in a pot and let it cook for about an hour.

Nice! I am having this tomorrow!

I usually divide into 6 bowls, which comes out per bowl to be:
    320 calories
    45 carbs
    2 gm fat

And yes I freeze this all the time. I usually will take it out in the morning and leave at my desk to thaw by lunch.
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Love this and make it in a Ziploc steamer bag - then freeze for up to two weeks

Steamed Greek Chicken and potatoes (321 calories)

1 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
    3 small potatoes, quartered and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
    1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (goat or Sheep)
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1. Combine the chicken, potatoes, feta cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, dried oregano, salt and black pepper in a Ziploc® Zip'n Steam® Bag.

2.Seal bag and shake gently to combine ingredients. Pat ingredients into single layer. Place bag in microwave.

3.Cook on full power 7 - 7 1/2 minutes (Medium bag) or 6 - 6 1/2 minutes (Large bag), until chicken is cooked through, with no trace of pink. If needed, continue microwaving at 30-second intervals until chicken is done.

4.Allow bag to stand 1 minute before handling. Gently shake bag to distribute seasonings. Carefully open bag.

5.Garnish with additional 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled feta and 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, if desired. (this is an added 100 calories for the cheese)
  • jarrettfam
    jarrettfam Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Love this and make it in a Ziploc steamer bag - then freeze for up to two weeks

Steamed Greek Chicken and potatoes (321 calories)

This sounds fantastic! I'll have to give this a roll.

Do you cook the chicken first then put in the bag or is it raw in the bag?