Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

weight training

hello-

Ive been doing cardio forever!! i was recently approached by a trainer at the gym, he said I need to do strength training as well (to avoid loose skin etc) I cannot afford a personal trainer at the moment, but what he said made a lot of sense.i've lost almost 60lbs and i would like to lose these last 40lbs. I want to include weights into my routine, but i dont know where to start. i dont know what to work out or focus on.
Would you guys be so kind and share some of your tips??? greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Try picking up the book, New Rules of lifting for Women.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Try picking up the book, New Rules of lifting for Women.

Yes.
  • Hey - If your gym has classes, that's a GREAT place to start. I know the gym I go to has some different classes like "tight and tone" that teach you different kettlebell and weight techniques. Another place to check: youtube. You'd be surprised at the number of how-to videos you can find. They'll at least give you a good place to start! Take it from someone who DIDN'T do strength training soon enough: that trainer did you a HUGE favor!!! I lost 90 pounds just doing cardio, and yeah... loose skin isn't fun.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Hi . . .There fortunately are many ways to incorporate weights into your routine without having to have a trainer. . You can go pick up a few free weights that you can use at home. .

I like my adjustable dumbbells for doing upper body work and there are a lot of utube videos outlining great exercises. . We are doing a september group where by we are doing a lot of exercises that would help you to tone up. . . and some incorporate weights and some don't.

http://mfpchallenges.blogspot.com/

Look at that blog and there will be this months exercises along with utube videos showing how to perform the exercises.

The other thing that I started doing that I really like is working with a kettlebell. . . I just got a danskin set at walmart and it is a lot of fun and will really work your body. . .

Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Trainers can be expensive. I have one once or twice a week because he makes me do stuff I hate (which is conicidentally the stuff that helps lose weight) and he motivates me. But if you want to go solo, invest in a good workout book that shows different exercises for different body parts.

I would recommend circuit training, upper body twice a week with a 2-3 day rest in between, and 1 day a week lower body. If weight loss is the goal concentrate on Chest, Back and Quads and a little hamstring. The first three are the largest muscle groups you have, therefore they burn the most calories when you work them. Also, working your back (pulling motions) indirectly work your biceps, chest motions (pushing) work your triceps.

Trainers, for me, are first and foremost motivational, but the knowledge is out there in any fitness books. But I couldn't agree more, some weight training will further your fat loss.
  • thank you so much for your replies. I will definitely look into the book and also you tube. Ive been stuck on my current weight and i think adding this into my routine will prob get me where i wanna go. i hear weights keep you burning calories longer, sure hope so. thanks once again, have a wonderful day!! :)
  • got it!!! so i guess today i will give those three areas a shot! thanks!
  • P90X is a great way to put on muscle through weight training.
  • The best I've found is Nike training app.. It's free and like having a PT... if you haven't a smartphone try going to the Nike site. A while back I photocopied several routines 20+ and then made them into a pack of cards, shuffled (sets upper & lower) and just did the next one that came up... I would do 3 mins of cardio and 3 sets of weights and alternate.
  • Double post
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    I had no idea about strength training until I did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I would suggest doing work out videos that show you AND teach you what exercises to do to work certain areas. I am self-learning. You can mimic those exercises in the gym. Also, from working muscles from doing certain exercises, you learn what it works, so you can make up exercises. That probably makes no sense, but for example, from doing certain moves on Jillian, I learned that my shoulder muscles would ache after. That taught me that when I do that movement, it works my shoulders. From there, I could go into the gym and use the exercises Jillian taught me to mimic that move on machines. Does that make sense? I know I am working my shoulders because I learned what exercises worked what muscles.
  • kmorrison21
    kmorrison21 Posts: 24 Member
    If possible, I would attend a Body Pump class at a local gym, if you go to one. Sometimes they'll do a free pass for a week to try them, I'm pretty sure my gym does. It's fun, the music is motivating and you can meet connect with other people. But what I found most beneficial is the built in personal training. I've had good instructors that emphasize form, and teach you how to do the workouts / lifting / etc correctly, to avoid injury, and those foundational things will help you, even if you lift on your own.

Congrats on the new desire to lift weights. I was always afraid of getting bulky, but thankfully had some people share the truth with me about the benefits of strength training, and its made a huge impact on my body. Plus I just really love feelings physically stronger and stronger. I. Am. Woman. *growl haha..

:)
  • There is an amazing site you can go to to look in their forums and create an account. bodybuilding.com
    They have a female bodybuilding section that will seriously give you just about everything you need to know. They have plans made up by female bodybuilders and fitness models to help start you somewhere. Check it out! You won't regret it.
  • @liza001 yes, i have the iphone, i will def download it tonight :)

@cynthiaj777 (yes, you look amazing) i have a couple of Jillian's dvd's ( i havent really given them a chance, i did it ONCE and it was sore for days!!) but now that I am a bit "lighter" i could probably hang in there longer :)

thanks guys! :flowerforyou: