Beginning ballet for adults?

Options
Hi everyone! I am thinking of taking a beginning ballet class once a week. I love dance-- I used to do a lot of musical theater back in the day, and I miss it. I'm hoping to increase my flexibility and possibly get a bit of a work-out by doing ballet, though I don't know how strenuous this class will actually be.

Has anyone on here taken a beginning ballet class for adults? If so, what was your experience-- did you like it? Was it a work-out for you? Had you danced before, or was it something totally new for you?

Just curious! Thanks!!

Replies

• rissuhbissuh
    Options
    What a coincidence! I was actually looking into studios that offer adult beginner ballet classes too! I used to dance when I was younger, but have lost my skills and such. Good luck with everything! :)
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you too! I am just so curious as to what they actually do during the class... well, if I go this week maybe I'll post an update! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I did last year. I need to go back to it. I'm not even sure why I stopped!

There's a lot of stopping and starting, so you don't burn a ton of calories, but I was hitting between 300 and 400 in an hour class.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you too! I am just so curious as to what they actually do during the class... well, if I go this week maybe I'll post an update! :)

Sorry. Didn't see this. :-)

It was basically the same things they do in beginning classes for younger students. You warm up at the barre (the usual stretching exercises and such) then we did some jumps and turns on the floor and then a traveling step from the corner usually ended the class.
  • lawoods
    lawoods Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Although I was still young (19) at the time, I took ballet in college. It was my very first dance class. I wasn't that great but it did an AMAZING job on my body and my coordination. The football players and I probably made the instructor a little ill. :tongue:

If it was available close to me now I would definitely do it again. My body had never been in better shape!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've done ballet off and on since I was 5. It's always work and it's rough! Even a beginning class will be difficult if you have a strict teacher who really makes you work on technique. I love dance and have done tons of it throughout my life. Once I'm done being pregnant (which may not be soon if we decide to have another baby after this one) I'm going to be pursuing a degree in dance. But ballet is just one of those things that kicks my butt every time. It takes amazing leg strength before flexibility becomes a factor.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone!! I can't wait to start going!! :)