Not sure where this goes... food before exercise i guess

Options
What do you eat before you exercise. Each class i take burns anywhere from 650-800 calories per class unless i start early then it's usually more... I plan to start adding an hour of gym workout time before the class.. What foods would give me the fuel to keep going for the 1 hour and 45 minutes of fun that is in front of me... Thanks :) (not sure if this matters but gym time will start at 4:30 and the class starts at 5:30.. dinner comes after)

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    300-400 calorie meals with complex carbs and protein 1-2 hours before. Snacks 100-250 calories depending if you have a longer time till dinner. Again protein with carb. Apple and nuts string cheese fruit greek yogurt, cottage cheese ect.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I always eat around 3pm-4:30 then head out to the gym to do double classes from 6pm-8pm. I walk to the gym so it gives me time to digest and burn off whatever is left over from eatting. I never have a problem "making it through" my classes. Even if I wake up late and hit the gym for doubles, before eatting, I'm usually fine. Starving when I leave, but fine.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out in the morning, I drink coffee while I workout and then have a decent sized breakfast afterwards. Otherwise, I can't stay awake/motivated.

If I'm working out in the evening, I'll have an apple before I work out and dinner afterwards.

If I'm working out after dinner, then I may just have a glass of milk... but if I'm working out after dinner, I already know that it's gonna be a terrible workout (but still better than nothing).

Occasionally, I'll do cardio, and then have dinner, and then lift weights followed by a glass of milk.

I have kids and I workout whenever they let me.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Depends, if its just cardio, I dont worry about it, I just make sure to have a post workout drink within 30 minutes after (chocolate milk) and then have dinner.

If I know I'll be lifting or goin out for a *kitten* kicking hike , I'll make a pre workout meal shake composed of 1 scoop whey, 16 milk, 1 scoop peanut butter and 1/2 cup of oats. About 600 calories. Ive never conked out with that recipe
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Depends, if its just cardio, I dont worry about it, I just make sure to have a post workout drink within 30 minutes after (chocolate milk) and then have dinner.

If I know I'll be lifting or goin out for a *kitten* kicking hike , I'll make a pre workout meal shake composed of 1 scoop whey, 16 milk, 1 scoop peanut butter and 1/2 cup of oats. About 600 calories. Ive never conked out with that recipe

The class i take is a combo of cardio and strength training.. The hour i add to the gym is going to be all strength training and core.. I'm always so hungry by dinner time but by the time i make it i'm a little sick to my stomach and usually can't eat.. Going to try the milk after the gym tonight and see if it helps.. thanks everyone!!