Is an after workout snack necessary?

Options
I've recently started adding weights into my cardio workouts 3x a week. Basically my strategy is treadmill and weights MWF and elliptical TR. My questions is, do I really need to drink a protein shake or eat a snack after the workout to get results? I've been eating a granola bar and yogurt about an hour before everyday. The only time I have to workout is immediately after work, the building has a fitness room. So once I get home I usually start making dinner and eat about an hour after the workout. I'm generally not hungry right after I workout and I don't want to spoil my appetite and consequently eat much later. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• J3nnaLyn
    Options
    If you're eating within a half hour of lifting weights, you should be okay. They say you should eat between 15 and 30 minutes after to restore your glycogen levels, otherwise you'll be even hungrier all night long. Try drinking a small glass of milk while you make dinner maybe?
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    For your workouts to be the most effective, you should have some carbs about half an hour before, and some protein immediately after.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I only lift small weights (10 lbs) and I don't follow those rules. I think the eating is more important with heavier lifting, so it depends on what you are doing.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere recently that the idea of having protein after a workout is if you want to "gain" muscle mass. So I'd say have a little protein (as low calorie as possible) on the days you're doing strength training, but don't feel pressure to do so when it's strictly cardio. This is silly - but I also read that Jennifer Anniston doesn't eat for an hour after a workout - and she claims it helps her muscles become leaner. Not sure if that's a load of hooey or what - but she sure does look good!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    nope the "anabolic window" is a myth, you don't have to eat within 30 min an hr whatever of working out
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    A simple shake of about 25g carbs 15g protein is recommended to upregulate glycogen re-creation within your muscle cells and minimize odds of protein breakdown.

Basically, it won't gain you muscle mass, but it'll prevent you from accidentally losing some.
  • nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    nope the "anabolic window" is a myth, you don't have to eat within 30 min an hr whatever of working out

Thank you!!!! Work out myths drive me up the wall -_-
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    As you can tell by these responses, there are differing thoughts. :smile:

I personally find I feel better, feel less fatigued and become less ravenous later if I have a snack right after my workout. If that turns out to be a myth and purely a placebo effect, then...I DON'T WANT TO KNOW! :laugh:
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I'm a new runner (started in June) and everything I've read states that, after a run, I should consume food in a 3/1 carb/protein mix within 10 to 30 minutes of the run. My sources are runnersworld.com, a book on marathoning by Hal Higdon, and two other books on running.

Could you be so good as to cite your sources?

Thanks.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    "get results" - build muscle?

I haven't read anything that indicates that you have to hit a certain timeframe but the number that I've seen is 10-30 minutes post workout to get the optimal uptake of carbs and proteins.

Perhaps someone could cite references to dispute this? If not, it's just another "I read on the web that…"
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hah! I work out in the morning, and can't eat because of a medication I take. I eat after I work out, and usually have an duck egg with a little polenta. But that's because I'd eat that anyway. Who knew I was doing it correctly in spite of myself!