over weight vegetarian thinking about eating meat

Options
2»

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    What do you eat that you feel is causing you to gain. Are you a strict Vegetarian? If so maybe something else is going on.
    Have you talked to the Doctor?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but one of my daughters is so I did a lot of research on it, and I've been cooking for her for a few years.

It sounds like you might be on the dreaded "beige diet" where you're mainly eating things that are white, beige or brown - mostly grain-based foods - often with cheese and peanut butter as the main/only protein source. This tends to be what happens when young people decide (for emotional reasons) that they're not going to eat meat anymore and just ... stop ... without doing any research or planning. These are the pasta-every-day kids.

If you want to be a healthy vegetarian, you should be eating a lot of color - fruits and vegetables - lots of beans and nuts, and very little grains and white starches. Throw in a bit of egg or cheese every couple of days for essential amino acids and to round out your calories because those first things don't tend to be very calorie dense. It's sort of like a primal diet except that you're getting the big chunk of fats and protein from nuts, beans and eggs.

Listen to him. I never understood how a vegetarian could be fat. But now that you say it it's people who eat only pizza and pasta then call themselves vegetarians?
  • rissuhbissuh
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but one of my daughters is so I did a lot of research on it, and I've been cooking for her for a few years.

It sounds like you might be on the dreaded "beige diet" where you're mainly eating things that are white, beige or brown - mostly grain-based foods - often with cheese and peanut butter as the main/only protein source. This tends to be what happens when young people decide (for emotional reasons) that they're not going to eat meat anymore and just ... stop ... without doing any research or planning. These are the pasta-every-day kids.

If you want to be a healthy vegetarian, you should be eating a lot of color - fruits and vegetables - lots of beans and nuts, and very little grains and white starches. Throw in a bit of egg or cheese every couple of days for essential amino acids and to round out your calories because those first things don't tend to be very calorie dense. It's sort of like a primal diet except that you're getting the big chunk of fats and protein from nuts, beans and eggs.

I totally agree with what you just said. I have been vegetarian for 5 years and the only thing that made me gain was poor decisions in unhealthy foods. Even though someone is vegetarian does not necessarily mean they are at all eating healthy. Try new fruits, vegetables, and learn about what foods you should eat sparingly. Also, make sure that you are eating healthy serving sizes and eating until you feel satisfied not full. It all comes with time and is always great to constantly learn about foods and diet. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's not as much about carbs as it is calories! Calories are what makes you fat, not carbohydrates. If I were you, I would eat more lentils and beans, and less bread and pasta. Eat whole grains like quinoa, barley, millet, and brown rice instead of other carbohydrates because they are healthier and generally have more protein. Also be careful about cereal portion sizes--that's a tricky one for me too!

In short, more beans, less bread, fewer calories, you'll lose weight.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second the Appetite for Reduction cookbook.......... everything I've tried in there is delicious and healthy........ and I've tried many, many,many of the recipes. :-)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My partner is a vegetarian and is overweight, but he does eat a lot of sugar, fat and carbs. All he eats if given the chance is potatos (preferably fried), lollies, chocolate, curries, pizza and pastas/risottos (often with creamy sauces). He only eats vegetables if pushed, and rarely eats fruit. I know it's up to him to decide what he eats, so I leave him to it mostly.

The point is, you can eat a very high calorie vegetarian diet.

I am also vegetarian, and am maintaining on 1700-1800 calories.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've known a few "vegetarians" who actually ate very few vegetables, which to me has always seemed to be a contradiction. :laugh: They ate a lot of junk food. Sure Fritos and potato chips are vegetarian, but you can't live on them!

If you want to remain a vegetarian, do it. You've gotten a lot of good information already. Your job is now going to be figuring out which items you can easily find, which you like, and whether or not it still works for you. Good luck!
  • emma1488
    Options
    It's not as much about carbs as it is calories! Calories are what makes you fat, not carbohydrates. If I were you, I would eat more lentils and beans, and less bread and pasta. Eat whole grains like quinoa, barley, millet, and brown rice instead of other carbohydrates because they are healthier and generally have more protein. Also be careful about cereal portion sizes--that's a tricky one for me too!

In short, more beans, less bread, fewer calories, you'll lose weight.

I completely agree here!

As many people have suggested just because you are vegetarian doesn't mean you are healthy or are even eating vegetables! Since I've been 99% vegan for the last 8 months I haven't been healthier and have started losing weight in a really healthy and happy way. But I have done this by eating a **** LOAD of vegetables. Someone mentioned the 'beige vegetarian diet', I hadn't heard about this before, but what an excellent name! It's very easy to get stuck eating plenty of processed grains, potatoes, pasta etc. You really need to amp up the amount of fruit and veggies you are eating. Avoid anything 'white'. White bread, white rice, pasta and switch it to wholegrain versions. These are full of fibre, which will fill you up without stacking on the weight.

Someone also mentioned a detox for your shot (I have no idea what that shot is or what its for....), I have embarked on a 14 day green smoothie challenge. I'm at day 3 and have already started to see results. I've broken through my weight plateau as well as feeling more energised. I am also eating waaaaay more fruit than I ever would and know that it is doing my body good. Here is the website if you or anyone else is interested: http://www.greensmoothiechallenge.com/
  • Shanz78
    Shanz78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! its all been very helpful!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Hi Shanz - I am not going to read all the replies (I'm sure they're good, just limited in time here) so I may be repeating. If being vegetarian is important to you, going back will not make you feel good emotionally or mentally (I've been there). I am currently vegan. To help with your weight I would suggest:

1. Cut down or out the dairy, especially cheese
    2. Focus your meals on veggies - half your plate, at least. Then make the other half or less some WHOLE grains like brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, barley, etc, and a legume. I try to cook one batch of lentils a week that lasts three to four days - they're quick and loaded with goodness. Then other separate sources of protein for me (all foods have protein, I'm talking about the "separate" protein in one to two meals a day) will come from tempeh or another bean. I like lentils because they're quick and I can cook them if I have forgotten to soak another bean, but I also love cooking a big pot of beans because I can throw them in a crock pot and leave them alone and then they're done. Then they can be added to a meal with veggies, over rice, in a burrito, whatever. And I always have brown rice in the fridge, though my roommate tends to eat way more of it than I do.
    3. Find some good go-to cookbooks. I like Accidental Vegan for its simplicity. I also like The Kind Diet, Color Me Vegan, McDougall's Quick and Easy Cookbook, Appetite for Reduction, and Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews. I think the easiest ones are Accidental Vegan, McDougall's, and Vegan Soups and Stews.
    Beans, whole grains, and soups/stews are easy to make a big batch of and then just steam some veggies and you're good to go with healthy meals that will hopefully help to keep you on track foodwise which will hopefully lead to some weight loss for you.

Good luck!
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    its about calories, being vegetarian and losing weight is not hard. i've been vegetarian for 25 years, vegan for 6, have no problems getting my macro nutrients in, and have lost over 186 lbs, being vegan.

junk food is junk food, vegetarian or not. lean protein includes tofu, tempeh, etc. good luck.
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ps. i was on depo as well and it took me a year off to even my cycle out, and i couldn't lose an ounce during that time. about 13 months after my last shot, i was able to start losing weight at a normal rate, it dropped off of my belly quick as it loaded on when i was on the depo. its evil stuff