"Junk" Food Opinions?

Options
Hi I've been following a 1200 calorie plan for the last two weeks and have for the most part been sticking to it (sometimes over/under by 100cals) My question is that some of my choices during the week are less than "healthy" e.g. ice cream/chocolate bar/ 1/2 frozen pizza dinner and was wondering if you are within your calorie/fat/carb targets for the day is it counterproductive to still eat those types of food? I'm asking in a fat loss prospective...

Thanks for any opinions!

Replies

• genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I really try and keep "junk" out of my diet. It just doesn't make me feel good.

I find good alternatives - Trader Joe's is fantastic for that, if you're lucky enough to have one near by.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As long as you mostly eat healthy and stay in your calories, by all means allow yourself treats!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I agree. If you really love those kinds of foods then dont get rid of them. Life is too short right :]
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    As long as you mostly eat healthy and stay in your calories, by all means allow yourself treats!

I agree. Unless you're planning on eating exclusively healthy foods every single meal, every single day for the rest of your life, don't worry about treats once in a while. As long as they're only once or twice a week they won't hurt your long term goals.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I am on 1200 cals a day also

My advice is to try not to eat too much junk food in one day. Maybe have a day each week or every 4 days where you treat yourself to your junk food (not going over your cals by too much)

I am thinking this because if you are eating high cal junk food each day then you are not leaving yourself with enough good food in your cals.

You can eat lots of good foods that will really fill you up.

I have 2 glasses of wine each night...but I take these from my exercise cals...it encourages me to exercise knowing that come the evening I can relax and unwind and enjoy my wine.

Maybe you can do the same and use your exercise cals to incorporate your junk treat at the end of the day?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with junk as long as it's not the staple of your foods. A cheeseburger or taco every few days isn't going to hamper you losses as long as they are accounted for.
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    Yes, I exercise hard too and then indulge in a little treat to reward myself. If you deny yourself too much you will end up binging and become resentful of your lifestyle change. Remember that you can have treats. A treat is a scoop of ice cream, not the whole container, you know?
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    1200 calories per day is really not that many. In fact according to MANY sources it is pretty much the bare minimum to consume without kicking your body into starvation mode.

If it were me I would be trying to cram in as much whole/unprocessed foods in there as I could to make sure I was getting QUALITY energy sources........not to mention all of the required vitamins and minerals.

there isn't any room for junk food in a very restrictive 1200 calorie/day eating plan.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I like 40 cal fudge pops, fat free chocolate pudding cups, and low fat popcorn. I think everyone needs a snack they love. As long as you leave room in you daily goals go for it.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you're likely to binge on foods, then it's definitely a good idea to allow yourself those kind of things ocassionally (i.e something small every 1-2 days).Depriving yourself of those kind of foods can definitely lead to binging (speaking from experience!)

I've been on 1200 for the last 3 months (just moving onto maintaining now, so going to up the intake) and every 1-2 days I would have a biscuit or ice cream for dessert etc. Plus I have a "cheat" meal once or twice a week (takeaways, cafe drink etc).

Everything in moderation! ;)
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ^^^

This is a great suggestion.

I think for a 1200 Cal eating plan you should keep the food as whole and clean as possible.....but every so often treat yourself to a cheat meal.

Cheat MEAL, not cheat day :)

If you can stick with that for a few weeks I bet you won't even miss the crap food after how great you'll start to feel.
  • rml_16
    Options
    1200 calories per day is really not that many. In fact according to MANY sources it is pretty much the bare minimum to consume without kicking your body into starvation mode.

If it were me I would be trying to cram in as much whole/unprocessed foods in there as I could to make sure I was getting QUALITY energy sources........not to mention all of the required vitamins and minerals.

there isn't any room for junk food in a very restrictive 1200 calorie/day eating plan.
    I have my calories set at 1000 because I don't lose on 1200. I have trrats and still meet my requirements nno problem. I had a donut today and with exercise, I'm below my goal and over my macros. If you make the right choices in fiod, there's plenty of room for treats.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i do a trail mix of peanut m&m's, almonds, and crasins when i want junk food.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    No more junk food for me..

There is nothing that tastes that good other than whole foods.
  • rml_16
    Options

You need to get out more. ;-)
  • ohamberx0
    ohamberx0 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i honestly drink coke zero when i'm craving something sweet =/ it takes care of it. otherwise i really eat whatever i want, but just learned to not want it often.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I always allow myself treats. If I don't..then I would stray farther than I already do. I feel like if I work out and burn the calories I can allow myself to eat some things that aren't necessarily good for me. I don't do it all the time. Everything in moderation.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

You need to get out more. ;-)

I get out plenty. Junk food does not taste good. There is so much more flavor in anything that is a whole food that doesn't compare to junk food.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

In principle, I agree with this, I'm a big fan of treats!
    However if you are only taking in 1100 - 1200 cals per day I think you need to be careful to make sure you are getting enough nutrition to keep you healthy. A lot of "junk food" is highly processed and pretty empty of nutrition so make sure your other calories are nutrient rich to make up for it.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I hate junk food, I prefer whole, natural foods. Junk food just makes me feel sick and it doesn't taste nearly as good as whole foods. Whatever floats your boat, though.