Them 'Shakes'!

Options
Alright.

So I was thinking of trying to do the Slim Fast shakes for like a month, just to adjust my stomach and get used to a lower calorie intake. I was wondering if.
A) This is a good idea?
and
B) How long term should one do this?

Also I hear about protine shakes over all when people are doing intense work outs, for muscle repair? At what point does one need to look into that, and actually start doing that? I am doing cardio 20min every day, ZUMBA, and I felt sore the first few days, worried I might of really hurt something bad (yes, I did proper streching), but I don't feel as bad as I did when I first started. And defiantly feel best when I am -moving-. So.. Yeah! ADVISE PEOPLE! <3

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    how about more fresh fruits and vegetables with lots of water and lean protein?

oh and coconuts - lots of coconuts!! :-)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Shakes are fine as a supplement. Slim fast is basically junk food. Read the labels. You can do much better making your own out of whey + carbs, or a pre-packaged one like Myoplex or Muscle Milk.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    ick
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is AWFUL. They are full of chemicals and all sorts of nasty things. They aren't even that high in protein.

Three of them a day and you will be so constipated that you'd sell your left lung to take a dump.

True story.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Slimfast gives you HORRIBLE gas. Not worth it. You're better off making yourself full on fruits and veggies and lean meats. You'll feel far more satisfied and it'll be ten times more nutritious.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ^ ^ () I don't really know! Its why I come here to ask you guy's advise!

Thanks so much!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I get "Them shakes" when I haven't had a drink for a couple of days.
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I tired Slim fast but at the recommended calories per day it was too low for me. I could see a crash diet in the near future. So, I only have a shake for breakfast, or as a snack. So, far so good but I will tell you at first you will be hungry since most of us here are not accustomed to eating 1200-1500 calories. You will get hungry if you go strictly on Slim-fast but it's how I started. Then I switched to Designer Whey, it has more protein and a whole lot less sugar. BUT it did take some adjusting to it because it isn't sweet, I had to a half a banana, then I switched it to tsp. of vanilla flavor. You can see my food diary it's my Breakfast for the most part. Good luck to you, add me if you'd like.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting your own whey protein or protein blend, like Myofusion or Elite Fusion (just examples, plenty of other good ones out there) and making your own protein shakes with water and/or skim milk and fresh fruits.

Since whey is fast-digesting, it's a good thing to have immediately after your workout along with healthy carbs (like bananas, oats, and sweet potatoes).

As for when to implement them, I don't think there's any harm in adding them to your diet whenever you would like; just account for the calories and the amount of each of the macronutrients provided by your shake in your food log.

Best of luck! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere, TD
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    slim fast is crap really, its not filling, it taste gross and its not even good for you! i would much rather have an spinach egg white omelette WITH BACON for the same number of cals..
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's no time like the present for getting yourself used to eating lower calorie FOOD. Drinking just shakes won't help you in that respect. Besides, our bodies process liquids differently than solid food and I have the feeling you'd be very unhappy after a day or so on a liquid diet.

Try replacing some of the carb-heavy foods you eat now (rice, pasta, chips, fries) with a serving of veggies instead. You'll be amazed at how many calories that simple act alone with save you and you'll still be getting enough to eat. Avoid fast food with all of its added fats and sodium and you'll cut out even more calories in a very simple way.

Good luck!

ETA: If you're only doing 20 minutes of cardio, you don't need to eat anything special to compensate. Those that do are either doing weight work or running long distances or other workouts for more than 60-90 minutes.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is a meal replacement shake that many people drink for a quick breakfast, or even a snappy lunch. In my younger years, I tried the Slim Fast, but it upset my stomach. Since you're using it to reprogram your body to consume fewer calories, I think that's a good idea. As far as the protein shakes are concerned, I doubt you need them at this point. If you're only doing about twenty minutes of cardio a day, I wouldn't worry about those.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is AWFUL. They are full of chemicals and all sorts of nasty things. They aren't even that high in protein.

Three of them a day and you will be so constipated that you'd sell your left lung to take a dump.

True story.

And they give you hideous gas!:noway:
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I agree...not a very good choice... :sick:
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    There's no time like the present for getting yourself used to eating lower calorie FOOD. Drinking just shakes won't help you in that respect. Besides, our bodies process liquids differently than solid food and I have the feeling you'd be very unhappy after a day or so on a liquid diet.

Try replacing some of the carb-heavy foods you eat now (rice, pasta, chips, fries) with a serving of veggies instead. You'll be amazed at how many calories that simple act alone with save you and you'll still be getting enough to eat. Avoid fast food with all of its added fats and sodium and you'll cut out even more calories in a very simple way.

Good luck!

ETA: If you're only doing 20 minutes of cardio, you don't need to eat anything special to compensate. Those that do are either doing weight work or running long distances or other workouts for more than 60-90 minutes.

Thank you, I was worried- because a few friends of mine were talking about how they were using muscle repair shakes or whatever... ;-; I don't want to hurt my body.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I can't do SlimFast, only because i am starving again in under an hour :(

However, i DO enjoy a variety of protein drinks, including Syntrax Nectar, MuscleMilk, Body Fortress, Protein Blitz, and ON Nutrition brands. Depending on what you are looking for nutritionally, i would advise any of these over Slim Fast-you really get more bang for your buck calorie and macro nutrient wise.

And protein shakes aren't just for bodybuilders or strength training. I started taking them when i became a vegetarian, and added more when i started working out with an entirely cardio-based program. Now i take in 200 g protein a day (with a digestive supplement so i can actually absorb that much) between my shakes and my food intake.

I noticed that i got leaner a lot more quickly when i added more protein to my diet, and SlimFast, in my opinion, is just like Special K-you will lose weight on their plan, but it's only because you don't eat real food most of the day.