how to start exercising in public?

Options
I love jogging, I love strength workouts and I love floor hockey, but im acctualy quite afraid of the thougth of doing it in public, it just scares the living soul out of me... Im so close to my goal of 60 kg's just 20 more kgs and there I am, but I cannot find myself to start exercising, im all "OK 20KGS you CAN do this just put on your jogging gear and out we go" but 5 minutes later im still sitting indoors on the couch.

In april, I started getting active... My job is operating rides in an amusementpark, where its alot of walking,running and heavy lifting. A month went by and I stepped on the scale and I was 10 kg's ligther, and I had alot more muscles, and im still working in that park, keeping my weight at 79 kg's( I was at 89 kg's :noway: ).

But now, even after THAT weightloss I cannot see myself go outside and start jogging, not even in the darkness, im just so afraid of judgement that people will see that im acctualy outside doing some jogging.

And enough is enough, I will never loose those 20 kg's if I dont start exercising...

So how does I start exercising in public? :smile:

Replies

• catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Literally, you just have to do it. Do you ever think when you see someone running outside, geesh, I wish they would go home? or .. do you think, way to go! Good for you?? I am the latter, I think good for you... at least your exercising, no matter what they weight, old, young, skinny...

I am pretty sure 99% of the people would not think twice about you, if they did, probably to say, good job! I used to feel alot the same, but i was 240 lbs, and I started at home... but once I lost some, I went to the gym and kept going. Most people dont pay attention to anyone else, just what they are doing. I SAY, GO FOR IT!! You will feel so much better!
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I know this probably doesn't sound like the best advice, but just get out there and do it! :)

I know it's intimidating at first and I've been there before so I can totally relate, but adding that activity to my day and getting past worrying about being judged allowed me to shed 30 lbs.

You can do it, and if you feel you might benefit from some support from people around you, why not take a friend along? :)
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I was 325 when I started going for walks around my neighborhood.

Just start.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Where are those people who you think are judging you? Probably sitting. In a car. Not exercising. What can they say to you that's so awful? You're fat? You already know that - that's why you're working so hard. What else can they possibly say that will make you feel bad? If you're doing something you enjoy doing you will be able to overcome the fear of what other people might say and just enjoy what you're doing. I was outside jogging at 220 pounds. Not only has nobody EVER said anything, I mostly get lots of friendly "you go girl1" kinds of smiles as I did it.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    You just have to take that step and do it.

It took me 2 and a half years before I plucked up the courage to go to Tae Kwon Do class. Almost 2 years later, i'm going for my Blue tag (5kup) and I train 4 times a week at the moment. I also started running this year.

I let fear and what complete strangers would think of me, or worse still say out loud to me or in passing what the hell they thought I was doing, stop me from doing what I wanted to do do. You can't let strangers hold you back from achieving your goals, hell you can't let your friends and family do that to you either!!

Be brave, take that first step! You won't regret it!! x
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Darkenss was my freind when I started jogging again. That helped me get started. Now I do not mind walking/jogging during the day.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It is hard, but really really, most people don't care or notice. The only person whose watching you is you.... I've had the odd comment - usually intended to be supportive ('keep going love' type stuff), but really most people don't see you at all.

Put earphones in - this gives you more of a sense of being in your own head and creates an illusion of privacy. Choose a quiet-ish spot if you can. And as the others say, just do it.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    I love jogging, I love strength workouts and I love floor hockey, but im acctualy quite afraid of the thougth of doing it in public, it just scares the living soul out of me... Im so close to my goal of 60 kg's just 20 more kgs and there I am, but I cannot find myself to start exercising, im all "OK 20KGS you CAN do this just put on your jogging gear and out we go" but 5 minutes later im still sitting indoors on the couch.

In april, I started getting active... My job is operating rides in an amusementpark, where its alot of walking,running and heavy lifting. A month went by and I stepped on the scale and I was 10 kg's ligther, and I had alot more muscles, and im still working in that park, keeping my weight at 79 kg's( I was at 89 kg's :noway: ).

But now, even after THAT weightloss I cannot see myself go outside and start jogging, not even in the darkness, im just so afraid of judgement that people will see that im acctualy outside doing some jogging.

And enough is enough, I will never loose those 20 kg's if I dont start exercising...

So how does I start exercising in public? :smile:

Your an attractive lady and if I would see you jog in public I would admire your efforts and desire to improve yourself. Rather do it now and lose weight as where you would stay indoors and fight with your conscience and let the opportunity slip while you are still young.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Maybe find a park thats less crowded to kinda ease you into it, pretty much all you can do
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options

So you sort of exercise in public at work if you're running about and lifting things...

You can't stop people judging you if that's what they're going to do so the best thing to do is ignore it and pretend it doesn't bother you (easier said than done, I know!).

You could do something other than jogging? Cycling's good, or start with swimming because once you're in the water nobody's watching you. Personal trainer in the park? You'll be working so hard you won't notice anyone else!

Or, you could tell yourself you're just going for a walk, nothing special, and then, when no one is around you could run for a minute (or however long), stop if you see someone coming, or carry on if you're feeling good/are so in the zone you haven't noticed that someone's there.

Another good way would be to find a running buddy - people often feel more comfortable with company - or a running group (they usually cater for all levels and will be very supportive).

Hope you find a way to get out and about - it's great when you do (promise!)
  • megmariew1
    Options
    I just moved into a new neighborhood and I was really embarrassed to run outside in front of everyone. First of all I am the biggest woman around here and when I run, I sweat and breath heavy and am pretty much not great to look at. lol One day I just decided I didn't care anymore. The only way I am going to get to my goals is if I do this for myself and not let other people hold me back. So, off I went.

You want to know what happened? A few of the neighbors came to me and said I was inspiring them to get more active and that they were proud of me. Best feeling ever. :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i was a bit petrified about exercising outside, until i got my bike and i was like "well, can't use this indoors." so i went out in regular cargo shorts and a baggy tee, in no way shape or form was i going to get bike shorts and a compression tee to ride in. but about ten minutes into my ride i saw the most varied amount of ppl. thin, fat, obese, riding their bike, or running, or roller blading. it helped me realize that these ppl are just like me, and no one is judging them at all, and if they can do it (some without shirts on ::shudder::) i can too.

btw, i live in brooklyn, so i even see the orthodox jewish, muslim, and indian men and women working out in their traditional garb. if they can do it in that, i can do it wearing anything, but my favorite is the guy on rollerblades who wear a full sweat suit and winter jacket. guess he's trying to sweat it all off. he's going to give himself a stroke, imo.

i now wear bike shorts and a compression tee to work out it. they're starting to fit a little better every week.