Bread

2»

Replies

• JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    My opinion. Don't eat it at all if you are trying to lose weight. I cut bread out my diet (along with processed food) and the weight dropped off me relatively quickly.

So what is going to happen when you start to eat normally again? You're not going to have the knowledge of the food that you're putting in your mouth! This is real life! Why cut stuff out? Why not just learn how to incorporate it into your life properly? I'm not trying to be a nasty pants, I just dont understand this concept...I'm doing this for the long haul, not just till the weight drops off so I can just regain it.

I've also cut back alot on bread and if I do have it, I try to go for wholemeal. But it's no different to a vegetarian giving up meat - there is no law saying we have to eat bread or unhealthy processed foods!! I have realised that bread and some processed food (mainly sweet cakey type foods) is what got me so unhealthy in the first place and several attempts to lose weight without cutting it out were unsuccessful as the cravings for these foods were always there. Now I don't eat them, I have lost the taste for them and don't want them anymore and feel better for it. I don't intend to start eating them again, even when I reach my goal weight, so for me, I am eating normally. This is the real life, these foods are not part of mine any more, just like meat is not part of a vegetarians. What is wrong with trying to eat healthily?

lol
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    My opinion. Don't eat it at all if you are trying to lose weight. I cut bread out my diet (along with processed food) and the weight dropped off me relatively quickly.

I think the key of what you did is cutting out processed foods...they are laden with carbs and sodium. I find that the cleaner I eat, the better I feel.

You are right, but cutting out bread was also key.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    I find I do watch the carbs I eat more than I used to, but I have mostly cut out pasta, noodles and flat breads instead of bread cut from the loaf. It's still nice to have a toasted sandwich for lunch at work, and I fill mine with a little low fat cheese and veges so that there is variety and nutrition there.
  • bluebird321

So what is going to happen when you start to eat normally again? You're not going to have the knowledge of the food that you're putting in your mouth! This is real life! Why cut stuff out? Why not just learn how to incorporate it into your life properly? I'm not trying to be a nasty pants, I just dont understand this concept...I'm doing this for the long haul, not just till the weight drops off so I can just regain it.

I agree that processed foods are the devil, but bread?

For me, bread is the devil, and that is the long haul, but that is just me. Eat whatever you want -- I just know once I cut white flour and wheat products out of my diet I lost weight. Don't take my word for it -- do your own research on gluten and white flour products. Going back to eating that crap is not eating normally. Once again, it's just my opinion which I believe the OP was asking for.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    People have been eating bread for 30,000 years. I'd say it's definitely normal. I eat all kinds of bread, everything except plain ol' processed white bread. I prefer to bake my own bread when possible.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    To my body, bread is evil. But I love the stuff, so I replaced it with other types like pitta and wraps. I don't think they retain the water in my body like a slice of white does.
    I still do enjoy the odd bacon sandwhich though. You have to have a treat right?
  • bluebird321
    People have been eating bread for 30,000 years. I'd say it's definitely normal. I eat all kinds of bread, everything except plain ol' processed white bread. I prefer to bake my own bread when possible.

That stuff on the store shelves happens to be called bread, but has very litte in common with what was eaten 30k years ago. Wheat used nowdays is much different than what was used in ancient times.

I found this to be interesting.

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/2010/05/emmer-einkorn-and-agribusiness.html
This discussion has been closed.