i have arthritis and fibromyalgia...options???

Options
i am looking to do more than walking. i have arthritic knees and hips, have only partial meniscus in left knee and i have fibromyalgia. most days walking is more than i want to do, but i try. i need variety, anyone got any ideas???
thanks, denise

Replies

• ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? You might also try rebounding (mini-trampoline), or a bicycle.
  • suse56
    Options
    If you have access you should workout in the water. Especially if you can find some warm water classes. good luck!
  • NurseHthr
    NurseHthr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    upper body workouts can get the heart rate up as well as walking or any other cardio. Sit and air box or use a punching bag as you get better at it. If you just punch the air fast for a minute or 2 you will feel your heart rate soar!
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    HI,SO SORRY TO HEAR YOU HAVE ARTHRITIS AND FIBRO, BECAUSE I HAVE THEM TOO, AND I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I WALK,HAVING 2 LITTLE DOGS TO WALK HAS BEEN MY INCENTIVE,HAVING MUSIC IN MY EARS,LOL, MAKES IT GO FASTER AND I DON'T THINK ABOUT TOO MUCH THAT WAY WHILE I'M WALKING. A FRIEND ON HERE,RECENTLY TALKED TO ME ABOUT YOGA, SHE TEACHES IT AND HIGHLY RECOMENDED IT FOR FIBRO, SO, I HAVE A DVD, AND AM STARTING SLOWLY WITH STRETCHES AND BEGINNERS YOGA. I JUST STARTED,BUT SO FAR, IT FEELS GOOD,AND WHEN I FINISH, I'M NOT IN ALOT OF PAIN,MAYBE CHECK OUT A CLASS IN YOUR AREA, I'M THINKING ABOUT DOING THAT. GOOD LUCK,RED
  • woody624
    Options
    I know how you feel, I have worked out for the past 11 years (I'm 54 now). Was way big back then and lost allot of fat and gained muscle, Last year I got into Taekwando and tore both my knees up, had surgery to remove torn meniscus in left knee but the knee joint shifted and now my right knee also has torn meniscus. Also found out I'm bowlegged and arthritis bad in both knees. So cardio is just about out for me. So that's why i got into this site, due to having to clean my diet up, I still lift dumbbells and push ups and the like, but can't burn the fat off due to no cardio! I did purchase a set of bands (Bodylastics) last year and they have a website with all different exercises on it: liveexercise.com. The bands are easier on the joints then weights and you go at a pretty good pace and will burn a few calories off with that type of exercise. Hope that helps
  • Lost_it
    Lost_it Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I also have fibromyalgia & osteroarthritis in my back. I find doing yoga helps. I have the Wii fit & fit plus & find that it is not too bad on my back or legs. I also have an ellptical trainer that I use.
    I also have heard that exercising in water is the best for us...I may have to try it out this year.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    yoga~
  • woody624
    Options
    If she has bad knees I don't know about yoga, I do P90X and the Yoga extreme is a killer on my knees!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Swimming works, but I also recommend Hot Yoga (Bikram Yoga) if there is a studio near your location I have arthritis in the hips and shoulders and hot yoga seems to help quite a bit.
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    gosh, thank you all so much for your advice, i really needed some ideas. we are considering getting a pool(above ground), and i think i will check into the hot yoga, that sounds interesting. i have been interested in doing boxing for years, so maybe doing some shadow boxing, even if i do have to sit down, would be pretty awesome. ya'll have given me some much needed motivation, thanks.