Winter exercise for my dog??

Options
Maybe this topic seems a bit odd, but since my hubby and I started our lifestyle change our dog's health has improved also. We do A LOT more walks and longer walks with him and he LOVES it!! I'm just concerned that when it gets to be snowy and cold he is going to suffer from boredom and lack of exercise.Most people would say just take him out and play in the snow! I would love to, but there in lies the problem... he's a daschund and a shorty! The snow around here in winter is usually taller than he is!!
Do I put him on our treadmill? No indoor tracks around here allow dogs either. Any suggestions??

Replies

• hkrosez
    Options
    I used to have a small dog as well (not anymore, we are a big dog family now!), and she used to love to play in the snow. Make it fun! You can get little treat puzzle toys and put them on the edge on where the snow is, and he'll push it around and make little tunnels! :)
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I have a small pug cross and I live in the Yukon where it gets to -40 and the snow is definitely taller than him. We put him in a parka and booties (which has the added bonus of being effin hilarious) and he runs around like an idiot in the snow. His favourite place to play is a frozen lake. He just bounces through the snow and I hang out and drink hot chocolate. We have another dog this year so it should be interesting!

30260_10150177235475024_600495023_12532968_4662512_n.jpg
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I know Cesar Milan (the Dog whisperer) agrees with treadmills for dogs, I think it would take some incentive though as I guess it would be strange for him to begin with!

Its an idea!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I really want a treadmill for my dogs when it gets too hot for them to walk. I know a few people who use their treadmills for themselves and their pooches. It does take some getting used to, but everyone that I know has had great success on training their dogs on the treadmill. :) Good luck!
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far! When it comes to snow my dog really is a little weiner! On the first snow day last year when he had to go outiside, he looked at us like we were crazy! LOL! However, this winter may be a bit different as he is older. Last year he was barely 1 year old when it started to snow! He has a coat, but I do think booties will help. And I think for the REALLY cold days I like to train him to use the treadmill. He is already curious when my husband and I use it, so perhaps we can train him to use it also! Google and Caesar Milan(I love that guy!) here we come!! :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem... My dog is more active in the snow, and I can't keep up with her without sufficient traction. :laugh:
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Do you have steps in your house? Throw a small treat to the top of the steps have him run up, throw a treat to the bottom of the steps and have him go get it..exercise! :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would be very careful about putting a dog on a treadmill. They can't really tell you when you are overdoing it. Cesar Milan has been criticized by vets and sued for injuries that client dogs suffered from his treadmill workouts. I say stick with the snow play.