Insulin Shock

To all my T1 friends.....I have had T1 for about 25 years and am wondering.....when you go into insulin shock, is it difficult for you to stop eating when you are in insulin shock even though there is a little voice in your head screaming to stop; that you have eaten enough?

For 25 years I have had this issue and I just don't know what to do. I over eat, going over in calories and then my sugar goes through the roof.

What do you do? How do you deal?

Replies

• I have this problem but I call it panic eating, I hate it, Im type 1 diabetic for about 12 years and Ive always suffered with it. The way I cope with it now is I dont eat..... I drink....... the problem with eating when your trying to cure a hypo is you have to digest what your eating so it takes a little longer for your body to react. Fluids are different they seem to sort a hypo alot quicker and then once my sugars are up a better I can make a much better choice and how much I need to eat
  • I drink some oj . That brings me back up pretty quickly and then the food craving settles. I think part of it is down to panic anyway. You know food will help so you are scared to stop eating in case it isn't enough. More psychological eventually than physiological.
  • Thanks guys! Also, thanks for the friend requests.

Besides oj, what else do you drink? Anything portable since my drive to and from work is over 50 miles each way.
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    I experience this all the time. I thought it was just me. I do find it VERY difficult to stop even when I drink juice and wait 15 minutes. After I drink/eat what's necessary to bring my sugar level back up, I'll try drinking something else to divert my attention. I sincerely hope this helps bc my A1C is through the roof as a result of the swings.
  • oh, me too. 6 months ago it was 6 and now it is over 9 since I am trying to lose weight and now I end up going low. Ugh!!!!