Building muscle and losing fat

Options
If 1) you can't build muscle on a caloric deficit, and 2) you can't lose weight unless you're on a caloric deficit, how is it possible to gain muscle to lose fat more efficiently? Is it possible to do both simultaneously?

I really want to build some muscles! But I have no idea what kind of a caloric goal I should aim for while doing that. I still have a lot of fat to shed.

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    BUMP
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    For most of us, it's very difficult. If you eat an excellent diet at your maintenance calorie level and lift heavy, you may be able to do a slow body recomp - remaining the same weight, but shift the balance to more muscle / less fat. Or you stay at a deficit and make sure to do strength training in order to minimize muscle loss during weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    If 1) you can't build muscle on a caloric deficit, and 2) you can't lose weight unless you're on a caloric deficit, how is it possible to gain muscle to lose fat more efficiently? Is it possible to do both simultaneously?

I really want to build some muscles! But I have no idea what kind of a caloric goal I should aim for while doing that. I still have a lot of fat to shed.
    Even if your workouts were spot on, your rest perfect, your nutrition on target, gaining muscle while on deficit is practically impossible. To gain muscle you have to gain weight. Since muscle grows from protein intake, you normally have to add more protein. But then you also need more carbs to fuel intense workouts. This invariably leads to calorie surplus.
    It's pretty much gain or lose. To do both would be very very difficult.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

The only way I have found to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously is to eat a higher fat, moderate protein, low carb way of eating with the emphasis of the carbs coming from vegetables............

It is effortless weightloss.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I cannot use big fancy words to explain this, but I'm pretty sure I know the general idea.

Eat calorie deficit while lifting heavy weights. This helps your body lose fat and maintain muscle mass.

After you feel like you have lost a decent amount of fat, eat a calorie surplus and continue lifting heavy weights. This will help bulk up your muscles. This is how to gain muscle mass.

If you don't want to bulk up, I think folks usually eat at a deficit until they get to the body fat % they want, then just continue to lift while they add calories in to maintain their weight.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It is possible. You can build muscle while losing fat on a calorie deficit. It's just not nearly as effective. I can't remember where I saw it but "they" did a study which showed people on a calorie deficit lost 5 pounds of fat and built 3 lbs of muscle during the same time people on a surplus gained 10 lbs of muscle and 1 lb of fat, and another group just losing weight lost 10 lbs of fat with no muscle change. (warning - all numbers are made up for illustrative purposes, because I can't remember the real ones, but they are close.)

So it can be done, but it's much more effective to "bulk" and add the 10 lbs of muscle and then "cut" to lose the 10 lbs of fat.
  • Autumn15
    Options

Even if your workouts were spot on, your rest perfect, your nutrition on target, gaining muscle while on deficit is practically impossible. To gain muscle you have to gain weight. Since muscle grows from protein intake, you normally have to add more protein. But then you also need more carbs to fuel intense workouts. This invariably leads to calorie surplus.
    It's pretty much gain or lose. To do both would be very very difficult.

Nine,
    Would you suggest it's better then to lose the weight you want and reach that goal first then attempt at toning and muscle building?
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've built muscle while on a calorie deficit. Whether I've simply replaced fat with muscle, it's there now, it wasn't there before, and it wasn't just "hiding". You won't "bulk up" or build large muscles, but it does happen, you just have to eat enough, eat well, and lift heavy.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Might want to have a look at this: http://www.holygrailbodytransformation.com/

It's possible to do, but very difficult. Plus if you still have access fat to lose, then it's better to tackle that first. Doesn't mean you don't do any strength training, even in a deficit, strength training will help maintain lean mass.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It is possible. You can build muscle while losing fat on a calorie deficit. It's just not nearly as effective. I can't remember where I saw it but "they" did a study which showed people on a calorie deficit lost 5 pounds of fat and built 3 lbs of muscle during the same time people on a surplus gained 10 lbs of muscle and 1 lb of fat, and another group just losing weight lost 10 lbs of fat with no muscle change. (warning - all numbers are made up for illustrative purposes, because I can't remember the real ones, but they are close.)

So it can be done, but it's much more effective to "bulk" and add the 10 lbs of muscle and then "cut" to lose the 10 lbs of fat.
    Not impossible, but you would usually be in one of these 3 groups to do it

1.Obese/morbidly obese and NEVER have worked out on a consistent basis.
    2. A former athlete returning after a long layoff.
    3. Total newbie to lifting having NEVER engaged in resistance training at all.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • dannylives
    Options
    ....You get on only ONE caloric deficit thing. Being on caloric deficit does not mean that while you're losing weight, you're also losing massive amounts of muscle. You have to adjust your carb, protein, and fat percentages to fulfill your desired goal. You may lose some muscle but if you do it correctly, its not gonna be a whole lot, in fact, if you do it REALLY correctly.....you will gain muscle and lose fat.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you got that information - but I have lost 100lbs in the past year - and built some muscle in the process.....I do two (maybe 3) weight training sessions a week with a PT - and the weights I now lift / move compared to a year ago is very different - and would not be possible without having built some muscle.....

Also with the fat dissapearing I can now actually SEE those muscles!!

I can also see the results in my every day life - my legs are much stronger - I can climb stairs, my knees are much better - as the right muscles now support them - my shoulder strength have increased dramatically - all these things because I have increased the muscle strenght in those areas....

Have I built as much muscle as someone that is not on a calorie defecit - maybe not - but I have definitely built muscle - and all the while losing 2lbs a week!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Nine,
    Would you suggest it's better then to lose the weight you want and reach that goal first then attempt at toning and muscle building?
    Well it depends on your overall goal. I've seen people say they want to lose fat and gain muscle, go on to lose fat down to a low percentage and then decided the muscle that showed was enough.
    Personally, I think it's better to try to gain, then cut. Every year, I did 4 months bulk, then 2months cut. Then repeated. Usually I was lean in summer and winter. It's a matter of choice.
  • Autumn15
    Options
    Thanks Niner
  • Randynorthridge
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about gaining muscle yet until you've hit your desired weight. You'll still lose weight by keeping the amount of calories you eat under control.

I would use your strenght training sessions more like a cardio session. You do this my doing curcuit training with lighter weights, higher reps, and short rests inbetween curcuits. To get a better idea of what I'm talking about just enter curcuit weight training routines in google and read up on them.

You'll get plenty toned by doing curcuit training.

Losing weight is all about calories eaten, calories burned, and the type of calories you're eating. Just wish is was as easy as it sounds :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about gaining muscle yet until you've hit your desired weight. You'll still lose weight by keeping the amount of calories you eat under control.

I would use your strenght training sessions more like a cardio session. You do this my doing curcuit training with lighter weights, higher reps, and short rests inbetween curcuits. To get a better idea of what I'm talking about just enter curcuit weight training routines in google and read up on them.

You'll get plenty toned by doing curcuit training.

Losing weight is all about calories eaten, calories burned, and the type of calories you're eating. Just wish is was as easy as it sounds :happy:
    Well that wouldn't be strength training then. That would be muscle endurance training.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I was faced with this dilema and I had to make a choice. Do I want a specific number on the scale or do I want to look hot LOL. I choose hot. For 9 months, I was at a calorie defficit and was eating 1200 calories a day. I was only doing cardio. The results was that I was able to fit in a size 4....with a body fat of 26-30% (depending of the methose I use to calculate my BF%) So I got skinny fat and almost 50% of my weight loss was muscle. For the last 2 weeks, I put myself my calories to maintenance and started lifting heavy. The results are that my weight pretty much stayed the same, it vary between 123.8 and 126 pounds. But!!!!! in the same time, I've lost 1 inch at my hips, half an inch at my waist, one inch at my belly button, one inch at my claves and 1/4 of an inch at my bicept....in only 2 weeks!!!!
    Smaller me = wonderfull and wh care what the scale say ;)
    Good luck