Game Day

Options
Now that football season (college and pro) I am faced with watching football either in person or on the couch (or tailgating either in person or on the couch) Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday (sometimes Friday).

I really screwed up this weekend. Any tips on tailgating and staying within your calorie limits?

If you are from the south, like I am, tailgates for a 7pm game start at 7am. I know the tricks of eating before a party to curb cravings but how do you eat before a 12 hour long event?!?!?

Not to mention alcohol!

Help!!

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    We prefer to watch the games at home, on our freaking huge TV and reclining sofa. As long as I eat at home, I have no issues. I make the food and can control the ingredients and the quality. It's a win-win for me.
  • caitibug
    Options
    feel your pain! once im out there and start drinking, I can't stop eating! hope you get some good responses so I can use the advice as well haha
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    lots of veggies and the special k chips are really good with hummus
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Freakin' jump up and down on every play! That burns calories!
  • tmcj1968
    Options
    Haha, lots of crudites? And water? Really I try to do lean protein ike chicken, but I thnk the first college game day this year I drank like 4 glasses of wine. There went my calories and here comes a hangover on an empty stomach. Plan as much as you can and make up for it through the week maybe? IDK.
  • heathfunk
    Options
    As a fellow Southerner --dislocated to the Midwest, so no tailgating for me :(-- I sympathize!

My tips for staying within my calorie limits during social situations:

1. Allow yourself one cheat day! It's so much easier to stay on track if you let yourself once in a while.
    2. Bring your own healthy snacks. It's so much easier to stay away from tempting unhealthy foods if you don't even start. There are free nachos at my favorite bar, and I find that if I keep myself from sneaking "just one," one doesn't turn into thirty! I'm a big fan of energy bars, like Special K, or Fullbar, which fit in my purse and taste like indulgent treats. If someone grills, a burger isn't too bad for you. Great source of iron!
    3. Vodka and diet coke is your friend if at all possible (within reason, of course!) with only 60 calories per serving. The great thing about keeping track of your calories is you overindulge in other things like alcohol less, since you want to stay within your limitations.

I hope this is helpful and I'm not just telling you things you already know! Good luck!