Vacation has totally ruined the diet

Options
Ok - Went on a 7 day cruise. 6 meals a day (minimum), now back and feel like I am starving to death. I should be closing out my day , but I looking to see if I have any calories left so I can eat more. This seems harder than when I started MFP.

Any ideas to get back on track?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat my friend. Try to shift the balance more toward lean protein - like chicken breasts or pork chops or something like that. They're filling. And plan the whole day in advance, at least for the next few days. After a few days, everything will be back on track.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What taso said.

And, on a side note, I think that's probably what I fear the most when I go on vacation. :embarassed: Especially lately, I've been concerned with not being able to get back on track and then gaining back the 140 pounds I've lost. :sad: I need a plan for my Disney vacation this Friday.
  • chastitykelly
    chastitykelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem a few weeks ago.
    1) many meals a day is good! just eat itty-bitty meals. like half a sandwhich or a cup of low-fat soup.
    2) stay really, really busy. when I'm busy with schoolwork, I sometimes forget to eat for ten-twelve hours at a time. Actually, that's really unhealthy, but you can take it to a lesser extreme.
    3) make yourself work all the extra cals off. I hate working out, so when I know I'll have to work if I eat more than my goal, I suddenly don't want to eat quite so much lol.

good luck ;)
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Same boat for me too. I want to eat EVERYTHING in the house!

Just had a light morning snack to keep me going and I've forced down 4 glasses of water to fill me up. It's worked - I now feel sick! So maybe drink a couple of glasses of water before you eat each meal and it may help you feel more full.

Good luck :-)
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Now see, when we went on a cruise, we ate three meals a day. In the dining room. Being waited on. Oh, and afternoon tea, which was always very special! (and the only time I had sweet treats).

Every meal was "an event".

I lost 10 lbs that week! Since we did hardly any other eating (occasional forays to the buffet for fresh fruit), and stepped up our activity level with all the dancing, sightseeing, and running from one end of the ship to the other, it was really easy to not focus on the food - until it was meal time. Then, at mealtime, it was totally focusing on the food, in a very positive way.
  • Sararainmaker
    Sararainmaker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Motivation is your best friend!
    Remember why it is that you wanted to lose weight!

We all hit snags every once in a while, vacations tend to set us back a bit, but once you start tracking and getting back into the swing of things as before you will be fine!

...AND you will have the knowledge that a couple of steps back will not knock you off track!

You can do it!
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    Yup I maintain the same weight 52-53kg until I go on holiday then everytime gain 2-3kg (depending on length of holiday) then when I get back and try to start diet sometimes eat too much for another week or so and gain another 1-2kg
    Puts me off holidays...& I go overseas 1-2 times a year & interstate/local holidays 2+ times a year.
    I don't have any advice. Except lose it when you get back!!!
    And enjoy your holidays-we only live once and if you can lose the weight pretty easily don't stress.
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Motivation is your best friend!

You can try detoxing for three days by drinking plenty of water, and munching on vegetables and healthy grains and lean meats. Make sure you stay away from any processed, fatty or sugary foods. After the three days, things should get easier.

Otherwise, ease yourself back into your diet regime over a few days.

You know what you want - you just gotta work towards it.
  • dddeans
    dddeans Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for push. Just have to remember that starving feeling is using up some of the many storage pockets have in my body. :-) Hope to get rid of them too......