I am being forced to dine out!!

Options
I am on a business trip out of town for 3 days and I have to eat both lunch and dinner at restaurants every day. (no, there's no chance to pack meals or carry a cooler).

My question is - how do you know what's within your calories/fat intake in meals at a restaurant? I know it's impossible to know, but what do I eat?? (btw, I HATE salad!) I know, I know - I'm being picky here. Like tonight, for example, we went out to eat and I had grilled salmon, mixed veggies, and rice pilaf. Sounds healthy, but how do I know that they didn't cook all that stuff in a ton of butter?

I just want to watch what I eat while I'm away from home. Thankfully there is a workout room in the hotel.

Thanks for all the input!

Replies

• kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    I am on a business trip out of town for 3 days and I have to eat both lunch and dinner at restaurants every day. (no, there's no chance to pack meals or carry a cooler).

My question is - how do you know what's within your calories/fat intake in meals at a restaurant? I know it's impossible to know, but what do I eat?? (btw, I HATE salad!) I know, I know - I'm being picky here. Like tonight, for example, we went out to eat and I had grilled salmon, mixed veggies, and rice pilaf. Sounds healthy, but how do I know that they didn't cook all that stuff in a ton of butter?

I just want to watch what I eat while I'm away from home. Thankfully there is a workout room in the hotel.

• jennib06
    jennib06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree, eating out it difficult. When I do, I find myself ordering grilled, grilled, grilled. It is important that you eat, so your best effort to pick the foods that are healthy will be to your benefit. At the same time, when you hit the workout room, you may push yourself a little more than normal to make up for any calories that you unknowingly ate. Sometimes, if I have a heads up on what resturaunt I will be eating at, I hop online and check out the menu before I go. Sometimes you can look up nutritional information when you do that!

-Hope this helps some...

Jen
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Just do the best you can.

Grilled is definitely a good option and steamed veggies tend to be safer. Rice pilaf can go either way.

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of how to make good choices! :happy:

Relax and enjoy yourself (as much as you can when it is for business). Pick the best things on the menu and use the hotel gym. When you get back, you can get right back to logging and there will have been little damage done!
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    A lot of the big chain restaurants have nutrition facts posted on their websites. I would find out some places near the hotel that you might go eat at and do some homework ahead of time. You can look for some of the lower calorie dishes, so when you get to the restaurant, you'll know what the damage is! Even if you can't go to that restaurant, you might be able to get a general idea of how many calories the different dishes have.

Good luck!!
  • redsrandomthoughts
    Options
    A lot of restaurants today have a "lighter" menu. And a lot of restaurants have a nutrition section at the restaurant or on a website. You could look at them before you go to the place and have your mind made up on what you will order and you will also know just what you are eating.

I would stay with things that state they are "grilled" or "steamed". Ask that all sauces be put on the side.

Good luck!!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    And don't be afraid to ask that it not be prepared with butter, or to go light on the oil.
  • caejde
    caejde Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with what else was posted about looking at their nutrition info ahead of time, asking not to be cooked with butter, etc. But also, any sauces that come with the meal, get it on the side. And someone had told me before that the whole plate of food is not really one serving but more like 2. So, it was suggested to go ahead and get a to go box, put half the order in and eat the remaining. Also, instead of ordering a soda or other beverage, drink water.
  • ms61840
    ms61840 Posts: 29
    Options
    Also, be careful of pre-meal snacks like chips/salsa or bread that your server brings and leaves on the table while you wait for your meal. It's way to easy to add a bunch of random, meaningless calories with that stuff!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I would also try to eat just half of it. Cause even if its grilled and such the portions are usually to big and that's where the problems start.
    Good luck:flowerforyou:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You can always ask what they have on the "lighter" side. The waiter should be able to come up with a few options for you.

If you have to ask for FRESH veggies...do it. Just say you LOVE raw veggies. I'm sure they'll appriciate the prep time on that order! :laugh:
  • kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help.

I will try to get the courage up to ask how things are prepared and have the cooks go lighter on the oil or butter or whatever. This may be easier if I were alone, but there are several co-workers and clients with me and I feel like an idoit asking the server those kinds of things cuz it holds up the ordering process! :wink: But, hey - who cares, right? My healthy living and losing weight is more important than a fleeting thought that someone has of me at the dinner table!
  • redsrandomthoughts
    Options
    No need to be embarassed about it. Start a trend. Be bold and daring and start asking for healthy who knows you might have someone else in the group that is just eating it the bad way because they too are afraid to ask for it to be different. :) You rock on with your demands! Demand they make it healthy so you yourself can continue in your journey of a more healthier you!!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

I feel your pain. I had to got to TX to work for 3 weeks when Hurrinane Ike came thru...and guess what? I had to eat all of my meals out...yikes....just make good choices. Stay away from sauces...and "heavy" items.

I actually lost 1.5 lbs while away, so I know it can be done.!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    ruby tuesdays has a menu that has all the nutrition info on it