Shoe sizes and weight loss

Options
If I go from 230 lbs to 160 lbs, should I expect to wear a different size shoe by the time I reach goal? Because shoes are expensive, so maybe I should wait until goal to buy new? Except I could use new cross trainers sooner rather than later.

I'm 5'6" and I wear a size 9 now, but last time I was around 150 lbs I could have sworn I wore a size 7, so I was just curious about this. Maybe it was a 7.5 I can't remember - it's been that long!

xoxo Deedee

Replies

• vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I wore a size 7 1/2 in college when I was at a "normal" weight (around 145-150). At my highest weight, I wore a super huge size 10!!
    I am hoping my foot shrinks a bit - my foot is very wide too. I've noticed my anklles have not swollen appreciably since April and they used to swell absolutely EVERY DAY. So, that is a small miracle in and of itself! :smile: And it makes my shoes definitely fit more comfortably.
  • gfergus1
    Options
    It's gonna be a long time before you lose enough weight that your feet will get smaller. If you need new shoes, don't risk an injury by exercising in the wrong shoe, wear a pair that fits you now.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Buy the trainers and wear them out by the time you get to your goal.... So then you'll need a new pair anyway, so if your a different size it won't matter.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have lost 35 pounds and am about 1/2 way to goal. I have gone from an 8 to a 7 1/2. I would imagine results would vary.

But like everyone else said buy what fits. Too small will wreck your feet! You can always lace them up tighter or wear heavier socks if they get too big before they wear out.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's possible. Your feet do lose fat along with the rest of your body and having thinner feet often allows you to fit into smaller shoes.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have gone down a size - from nz size 10 to nz size 9 in some shoes (100lbs loss)
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Luckily my feet have stayed the same size for the most part throughout my adult life. I find I may need a wide in cheaper shoes (PayLess), but not always.

For shoes you will exercise in and have to wear all day, buy new pairs as needed. For job interviews, dinner parties, etc. buy PayLess.
  • allenlisa
    Options
    My feet went up a size while I was pregnant and then back down once I lost the weight, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go down a little but I think once the weight has "flattened" your feet they won't magically shrink.
  • DarleneT22
    DarleneT22 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree. Buy the shoes that fit you now.

But, too answer your question...my feet shrank. I was about an 8 1/2 or 9 wide and now I am an 8. I had a few pumps and flats I had to get rid of because they had gotten too loose to wear.
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I say go for the new shoes now! When I started out I had horrible old shoes and it made such a difference to my comfort to get new shoes for walking. I didn't even want to walk before. But I will say I have lost 1/2 size so far.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls - I will get the new cross trainers this week - you're right - it will make my workouts so much easier and more comfortable and might even avoid an injury since my current shoes are too big and my feet are swimming around a little bit in them, so I just don't feel that secure.

You're right about wearing them out by the time I get to goal too, LOL! I didn't think of that... great idea!!! :)
  • wiclassact
    Options
    I've lost 94#'s and my shoe size only went down 1/2 size.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I went down a size! Not at goal yet, but hope that when I get there I will be another size smaller. Personally I think its age though - as lots of my fat-free friends have lost a shoe size when they get close to 40.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Its kinda variable from person to person I guess. Just something Id never had thought about, interesting I guess
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    My feet bones are naturally more stocky so despite losing much weight, my shoe size hasn't went down & I still wear the same size 39 or 40. 41 for pointy or narrow edges shoes & rare times 38 depending on the type & brand. Although my feet looks much more bony now.