protein shakes with as much sugar as protein?

Options
what is a good guidline for protein shakes? i bought some from the supermarket a while ago but was put off by the amount of sugar it had in it - there was 20.8g of protein per serving but 22g of sugar. is this normal??? or a protein shake disguised as "healthy" but actually not?

Replies

• maorilover
    Options
    Well I was always told to stay away if there is more sugar/ carbs than protein. I buy an organic brand that has stevia so it's very low sugar/ carbs and high in protein.
  • DoubleDworks
    DoubleDworks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We sell protein and find the majority of them very high in sugar. We like Super Whey because it isn't sweet, but unfortunately that is being deleted from the NFS range.

The other one we like is the IS08 from Musashi.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have 100% Whey Gold Standard or whatever, from Optimum Nutrition. It has 1g of sugar per serving, but that's because it has artificial sweeteners (each flavour has a different one, I read up on the one mine has). It's 200 cals, 1g of sugar, 2g of fat per 55g of protein, it's pretty lean. There's obviously gonna always be better stuff out there but I like the taste and it suits my needs :-)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Just keep reading the labels to see if you can find one that sits OK with you... you are buying a very processed product so you will find that the ingredients list is long and scary.
    I don't drink them for that reason!
  • 123Kate
    123Kate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The one we currently have here is The Sport Food company protein powder, its 21g protein, 4g carbs, 2g sugar, 113cal. I believe its stocked in the supermarket (New World anyway), as im 99% sure Dh brought it home from work
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Reflex instant whey- 18g protein at 87 cal