Smoothie recipes needed

Options
chedges9090
chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
I know it should be easy... but, for me it's not. I need a "recipe".
Does anyone have any good smoothie recipes out there? A friend offered a veggie smoothie recipe to me.. and I am not quite ready for that. Let me know about any fruit smoothies :)
Thanks

Replies

• CPrincipeDeSA
    CPrincipeDeSA Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Chocolate Strawberry Banana Smoothie
    Put about a handful and a half of frozen strawberries in a blender along with one cup of milk. Blend to break up the strawberries. Add about a tablespoon of Honey, some chocolate drink mix of your preference (I like Ovaltine or Chocolate Whey Protein), two bananas, and any other additives you may desire (eg. flax seed, hemp powder, whatever). Blend some more then enjoy.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple one .....a medium banana, semi-skimmed milk, teaspoon of honey (more if you like it sweeter) and a strawberry fat free bio yogurt drink (I'm in the UK and use Actimel, I don't know what the US equivament would be).
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Chocolate Strawberry Banana Smoothie
    Put about a handful and a half of frozen strawberries in a blender along with one cup of milk. Blend to break up the strawberries. Add about a tablespoon of Honey, some chocolate drink mix of your preference (I like Ovaltine or Chocolate Whey Protein), two bananas, and any other additives you may desire (eg. flax seed, hemp powder, whatever). Blend some more then enjoy.

sounds so yummy:-)
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple one .....a medium banana, semi-skimmed milk, teaspoon of honey (more if you like it sweeter) and a strawberry fat free bio yogurt drink (I'm in the UK and use Actimel, I don't know what the US equivament would be).

Do you work out the cals based on the raw ingredients ? SImply what goes in, I seem to remember years ago, that peeling fruit or blending can affect the cals - or did I dream that !?!?!?
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I usually use milk, spinach and a banana, but you said you're not ready for the veggie ones, so thats ok (although really you can't taste it i swear!)

If you want to make them creamy id suggest 1/4 of an avocado (really healthy and doesn't make the smoothie taste weird) and try 1 c. milk (cow, almond, soy, whatever, or 1/2 c mixed w/ water depending on how many cals you want) plus 1/4 c. cup mango and a juicy fruit like a peach or a nectarine and add ice. Also add 1 tbsp of flax seed for some good nutrients and fiber :) good luck!
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Mine are pretty thick and slushie-ish, because mine are mostly frozen berries. So good! For 2 smoothies (I make it all and split with my boyfriend in the morning):

125 mL organic fruit juice, 125 mL water (less sugar!)
    250g frozen mixed berries (or use any frozen berries or fruit you want, mango is GREAT)
    1 banana (about 110g after removing peel)

From there I might add a handful of spinach, which you cannot taste at all, low fat yogurt, choc whey protein, ice, etc. Depends what I'm feeling like. :) There is quite a bit of sugar in smoothies, which still counts even though it's in fruit! So watch it while you log it. If I have something sugary planned later in the day I will use less berries and milk instead of juice.
  • bubblesburst80
    bubblesburst80 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    i use fresh or frozen fruit depending on what i can get my hands on
    about a cup and a half of fruit in a blender add enough juice to just below the fruit level and a good dollop of low fat yoghurt, not sure how much as i just add to get the right consistency, i like it really thick though more like a milkshake, around a pint works out 108 calories according to here
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just base it on the raw ingredients. I assume the calories in a banana don't include the skin.....and even if it was found to be a miracle aid to dieting I probably still wouldn't eat it. lol
    I suppose peeling other fruit such as apples could reduce the calories.
  • sugarbone
    Options
    I just base it on the raw ingredients. I assume the calories in a banana don't include the skin.....and even if it was found to be a miracle aid to dieting I probably still wouldn't eat it. lol
    I suppose peeling other fruit such as apples could reduce the calories.

Banana calories do not include skin, no. :) However, I'd eat the apple skin, it's where most of the apple's fibre is and really is not much of a calorie cost.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Milk + Peanut Butter + Choc Whey Protein + Banana = Heaven!
  • sugarbone
    Options

I just got some new choc whey, will pb really blend into it with milk? And not just be all chunky? That sounds delicious!!
  • PBJunkie
    Options

I just got some new choc whey, will pb really blend into it with milk? And not just be all chunky? That sounds delicious!!

Should have no problems using a blender, just make sure you don't add it first as it might stick to the blades.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have this one for breakfast every day and it's awesome!!

Makes 2

6 approx cubes of ice, blend to crush
    add handful of frozen mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, redcurrants)
    handful of frozen blueberries
    2 frozen mango cheeks
    1 banana
    150g Rachel's apple and elderflower low fat yoghurt/ or low fat raspberry yoghurt
    apple juice (not sure how much but around a cup. If it's blending quite thick add more!)

I only use frozen fruit because fresh fruit doesn't last long where I'm from and the smoothie stays colder also!

Works out at about 230 cals per portion and 52 carbs, 1 fat , 4 protein, 4 fibre!

Enjoy
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Apple cinnamon smoothie- 1 chopped, peeled & cored apple, 1/2 scoop low fat vanilla ice cream/frozen yoghurt or fat free yoghurt & crushed ice, semi skimmed or skimmed milk, 2 tsp applesauce (optional but yummy), pinch of cinnamon, dash of vanilla extract, crushed ice.

Black Forest smoothie- Handful of frozen cherries (or fresh ones, pitted), 1/2 scoop low fat vanilla ice cream/frozen yoghurt or yoghurt & ice. 2tsp chocolate powder (either protein powder or hot chocolate/ cocoa powder). Grated choc to garnish & a cherry (optional but pretty!)

Peach melba smoothie: Fresh peeled peach or canned peach (in natural juice not syrup)- 1/2 scoop low fat vanilla ice cream or yoghurt & ice, milk, fresh raspberries.

All these sound quite naughty but they are low cal- and really satisfy a sweet tooth. perfect for a sweet brunch or desert.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Mmm... salivating at the options!

Definitely going to give these a go...

My comment about cals changing when you modify a fruit - I think I'm thinking of Weightwatchers - sometimes apple pureed or berries mashed, affects the nutrients, so maybe NOT the cals per say. Don't worry, I'm sure it's only marginal, if true at all.. :)

x
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Mmm... salivating at the options!

Definitely going to give these a go...

My comment about cals changing when you modify a fruit - I think I'm thinking of Weightwatchers - sometimes apple pureed or berries mashed, affects the nutrients, so maybe NOT the cals per say. Don't worry, I'm sure it's only marginal, if true at all.. :)

x

By mashing berries it would not change the nutrients at all. If you would cook an egg the bio-availability would be better than say a raw egg, but the nutritional value of the egg would be the same...it's just that the protein gets absorbed easier being cooked.
  • prwthomas
    prwthomas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My favorite is from the Light and Fit Yogurt container lid, peeled off from the larger size. 1/2 cup ice, 1 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup any juice, 1/2 cup any fruit. I use orange juice and banana. (I use a whole banana) The consistency will vary depending on what kind of fruit you use. Bananas will of course give you that thick shake texture, which somehow is more satisfiying to me. It also reminds me of an orange julius! Enjoy!
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Do you work out the cals based on the raw ingredients ? SImply what goes in, I seem to remember years ago, that peeling fruit or blending can affect the cals - or did I dream that !?!?!?

I think that's if you juice it - then you leave the solids of the fruit behind, so you'll lose some calories, plus most of the fibre

These sound delicious people!!
  • Timkerbelle
    Options
    I usually use milk, spinach and a banana, but you said you're not ready for the veggie ones, so thats ok (although really you can't taste it i swear!)

If you want to make them creamy id suggest 1/4 of an avocado (really healthy and doesn't make the smoothie taste weird) and try 1 c. milk (cow, almond, soy, whatever, or 1/2 c mixed w/ water depending on how many cals you want) plus 1/4 c. cup mango and a juicy fruit like a peach or a nectarine and add ice. Also add 1 tbsp of flax seed for some good nutrients and fiber :) good luck!

Sounds delish!
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Definately wanna try this one day:-)