HRM ADVICE PLEASE

Options
I am thinking of getting one for the purpose of accurately measuring my calories burned and getting an idea of where I am fitness-wise.

I've been on the Polar site and I THINK I understand the principles of them but still have questions.

Q: Are you wearing just a "watch" or are there other things to attach to yourself? (I see "chest-strap mentioned")

Q: I am not an Olympic athlete, runner, or extreme fitness buff~ I'm just a 50 year old lady, with MS, trying to lose some weight and perhaps improve my physical fitness. My current activities include Yoga, Zumba, Jillian Michaels DVDs, Biking, Walking on the Treadmill~ so which HRM would be best for me?

Any suggestions would be appreciated~ Thanks.......

Replies

• jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I use the polar ft7. its the best thing that happened to my weight loss journey. It has a strap which is very very comfortable to wear, you can even wear it all day. its a chest strap made of fabric. Its accurate and wonderful, simple to use
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4. Comes with the chest strap and watch. I agree with jaygirl...it's the best thing that I've ever done for my weight loss.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hello, i think it's great you want to purchase a HRM.. I got the polar ft7 and it does a great job of tracking my calories burned while i workout. After much research, i decided the chest strap was the waty to go, it is much more accurate. Good luck with your choice, you will notice a difference on how you exercise after you use it.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of getting one for the purpose of accurately measuring my calories burned and getting an idea of where I am fitness-wise.

I've been on the Polar site and I THINK I understand the principles of them but still have questions.

Q: Are you wearing just a "watch" or are there other things to attach to yourself? (I see "chest-strap mentioned")

Q: I am not an Olympic athlete, runner, or extreme fitness buff~ I'm just a 50 year old lady, with MS, trying to lose some weight and perhaps improve my physical fitness. My current activities include Yoga, Zumba, Jillian Michaels DVDs, Biking, Walking on the Treadmill~ so which HRM would be best for me?

Any suggestions would be appreciated~ Thanks.......

A: Yes, you have to wear a watch, which is the device that will show your caloric burn. You also have to wear a chest strap which fits comfortably.

A: I have a FT7 model. The FT4 is a little less expensive and will give you what you are looking for. I recently purchased my husband a brand new FT7 on Ebay for $75 with free shipping.
  • jojospero
    jojospero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40... I love it! You use it with a chest strap. It's easy to use and it & it will tell you how many calories you're burning. It also saves your data, so you can compare your work out sessions. Good luck! :smile:
  • nukehiker
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 and love using it. more accurate then using some formula to figure out how many calories you are burning. using a formula or a read out on the treadmill etc to calculate your calories burned is as flawed as the weather report on the local news. so congrats on deciding to purchase a HRM ! you will be happy with your choice.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have a Suunto HRM that uses a chest strap. Chest straps are going to give you a much more accurate reading, which is kinda the whole point of getting a HRM (to get a more accurate reading of calories burned).

It's just another tool to help in the process. Is it necessary? No. Is it helpful? Yes. How helpful is up to you.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    WOW~ THANKS for all of the helpful responses!!

I just ordered the FT7 from Amazon for $78 and am looking forward to this next step on my journey!!