Experiences please! Body Transformations

Options
I'm looking for some personal experiences with body transformation, especially when it comes to major changes in the mirror but not on the scale.

I feel like I look a ton better, I've got some muscles popping and my belly is getting smaller but the scale still shows no change.

I'm looking to see/hear more stories of people whose bodies have changed but the scale hasn't moved at all or very much.

What I'm really trying to do is motivate myself without relying on the scale. I haven't taken measurements in a while, I'll be asking my trainer to do this today before we train. Hopefully I will see a change there.

I just don't understand how a body can look so different but weigh essentially the same. I know it takes a while to put on muscle, I read some interesting aspects on building muscle and how its harder to lose weight while building. I just want to see/hear some peoples personal stories about this.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to you all helping me breathe a sigh of relief!

Edited to add: I don't believe in being a cardio queen to drop pounds before lifting. I believe that lifting should be done in conjunction to lose fat.

Replies

• GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As you build muscle, you may notice that you look better but there is no weight difference. That's normal. Muscle weighs more than fat. Once your fat loss starts catching up to your muscle growth, the lbs on the scale will start dropping.
  • lennykat
    Options
    okay bumpin for lack of responses-

please explain-- somebody-- the information behind fat loss catching up to muscle gain.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    okay bumpin for lack of responses-

please explain-- somebody-- the information behind fat loss catching up to muscle gain.

I'm pretty skeptical...I doubt you aren't losing BECAUSE of muscle gain...however, you may very well be lowering your body fat percentage and not seeing the change on the scale. You look smaller as you lose fat because muscle is more compact. A pound of muscle=a pound of fat in weight but not in mass.

I measure inches and use a handheld body fat monitor. I am trying to lose a little more weight but most importantly lower my body fat percentage.

You are totally on the right track by lifting and doing strength. Different things work for everyone but I personally believe that people who do lots of cardio and credit their bodies with it already have bodies that are prone to look like that...its not because of the cardio really! Where as if you trying to do body recomposition strength is the way to go. I know I look much better now than when I was runnning 20+ miles a week.

Also, as a note...I've recently stopped basing my goals around things like weight loss or even body fat and starting revolving my goals around my nutrition and work outs. I'll continue to track all those things but base my success on my efforts.

This is rambling but hope it helps! My favorite website is figure athlete...they have GREAT article on exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately its down for while they transition but keep checking it!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!