am i cheating myself?

Options
i don't log EVERYTHING... at dinner out i may have a couple packs of crackers and not log it. in the morning i may have oatmeal w one tbls of maple syrup that doesn't make it on my counter. on occasion i will have one pump of flavoring in my latte (equiv. 20 calories) that i don't write down......

i don't intentionally not log these and think that i can eat more or anything of the like..... but i can't help but think when i don't lose what i want that it's because of those handful of calories...... am i just beating myself up? or do i need to be more dilligent?

btw i'm talking about the pump of flavoring not the latte, the crackers not the meal and the maple syrup not the whole bowl of oatmeal hahah

Replies

• EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Log it...those things add up quickly.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I think you should try for 2 weeks to log absolutely everything that passes your lips. One of the things that I've heard repeatedly on this site is that people were surprised by the calories, sugar or carbs etc in the food they ate. It is all about becoming more aware of what we eat and building healthy habits and choices around that awareness that will last a lifetime.

Yeah, its a pain, but I think you've got to do it for at least a little while.
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need to log those things, yes. They can add up quickly. What's the point in tracking if you're not really tracking? Your success is only as good as your diligence. Good luck!
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    I would recommend logging everything that way you know for sure just how much you are consuming. 20 calories here & 20 calories there do add up to more than what you actually think you are taking in. :smile:
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I would suggest logging everything for a few weeks and see how the scale does... it can sometimes shock you how many "extra calories" you can consume when not even thinking about it. The only thing that I do not bother to log is gum...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i don't log EVERYTHING... at dinner out i may have a couple packs of crackers and not log it. in the morning i may have oatmeal w one tbls of maple syrup that doesn't make it on my counter. on occasion i will have one pump of flavoring in my latte (equiv. 20 calories) that i don't write down......

i don't intentionally not log these and think that i can eat more or anything of the like..... but i can't help but think when i don't lose what i want that it's because of those handful of calories...... am i just beating myself up? or do i need to be more dilligent?

btw i'm talking about the pump of flavoring not the latte, the crackers not the meal and the maple syrup not the whole bowl of oatmeal hahah

personally i don't log condiments or oil i use for cooking, i just have a discretionary allotment of cals for condiments and others, so i don't have to measure.weigh out every single thing
  • coffeebydesign
    Options
    Do you have a cell phone that enables you to download the MFP app? That way you can log it right from there and wont have to always go to a computer. That way when you get that latte or have that oatmeal, you can log it right then and there, no matter where you are.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, those little things can add up quite quickly to be bigger things! I think if you are in the mode of losing weight, you should probably consider logging everything that goes in! Maybe you could try it for a couple of days, see what kind of impact those unrecorded items are having on your daily calorie intake, then decide if it's worth it to continue to track them.

Best of luck!!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Depends on how close you are going to your calories each day. Assuming they're 2 packs of saltine crackers, a tbsp of maple syrup and 1 pump in your latte, that'd be around 168 additional calories per day
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how close you are to your daily calories at the end of the night... but you don't just want to look at calories, everything matters. Like carbs, fats... sugar, sodium... how close are you to your daily limits? at least if you start counting them, you have a better idea of where you are on your goal for each day... and knowing what's in those items and what it will do to your numbers... you'll get used to seeing the numbers and be able to adjust once it's done.

I try and log everything. But there are times where I close out my diary and the next day remember something that I missed on the day before... it happens
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised how they add up!! I'd log them!!
  • kimberlykinnard
    Options
    Everything that thouches your lips you MUST LOG!! lol Thats pretty much how I see it, not to be over the top but you should go back and look at what you eat each week, and if you are not accuratly logging you have no idea how to adjust your diet or where the extra weght is coming from.

YOU CAN DO IT :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Do you have a cell phone that enables you to download the MFP app? That way you can log it right from there and wont have to always go to a computer. That way when you get that latte or have that oatmeal, you can log it right then and there, no matter where you are.

this. i love the fact that i have the app on my phone and i can log things and change them on the fly.

however, i find the the best way i stick to my food choices is if i log everything the night before. yes, everything from breakfast to dinner, i do my best to log, and have a meal plan for the day. it helps me know how much play i have if i feel like having a flavored coffee or something else.
  • cassiopeia1975
    Options
    In a way i suppose you are but quite often the calories burned on certain exercises arent quite right (unless you use a HRM).

I try to stay under my calories by about 50-100 that ( i hope) makes up for the occassional chip i pinch from the kids plate or half a broken biscuit thats left in the barrel when i give the kids a snack or for over estimating calories burnt or portion sizes.

Im only into my second week and im losing so far. If your NOT losing then i would start to question what you are doing wrong.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    In short: yes. Longer version: a bite here and a nibble there add up quickly, then you add to it that there is a 20% variance on any given food label. That tbsp of maple syrup has about 40 calories, that pump another 20 . . . right there is 60 calories. 1 pack of saltines (2 saltines) is 24 calories, no one ever eats one pack of saltines, so there's another 48 . . . all of a sudden if you've put all of these things into one day you're over by 100 calories for the day (and that's assuming that it's only a measured tbsp and that the pump amount is always the same). A little here and a little there add up quickly.

Agreed., that's why I love my app. I log everything first thing in the morning and if I plan to step outside of that at some point then I add it before I eat it.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    if you are going to log,you might as well log everything if you want it to be as accurate as possible.
  • coffeebydesign
    Options

however, i find the the best way i stick to my food choices is if i log everything the night before. yes, everything from breakfast to dinner, i do my best to log, and have a meal plan for the day. it helps me know how much play i have if i feel like having a flavored coffee or something else.

This is awesome! I honestly never entertained the idea of doing this, but having enough time, it is something I should consider doing.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

This is awesome! I honestly never entertained the idea of doing this, but having enough time, it is something I should consider doing.

honestly, once you get used to it, it's pretty easy. and the app and website know what you generally eat, so it's always on the top of the list.

and i try to over-estimate what i'll eat, because it feels so great to take something off the list to reduce my calorie intake!!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Yes. Cheating yourself. Log everything you chew and shallow.
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You should log everything because even WITH logging everything we are probably still underestimating our intake!