Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

Options
SoupNazi
SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
Reduced-fat cheese and reduced-fat sour cream helped us say adiós to half the fat, and by using olive oil instead of butter, we reduced saturated fat, too. Adding corn and green chiles boosted the Tex-Mex flavor.

Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:1 hr 10 min
makes:8 enchiladas

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
2cups Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander or cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1 cup Green Giant® Niblets® frozen corn, thawed
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend (4 oz)
1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 corn or flour tortillas (6 or 7 inch)
1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
Salsa, if desired

1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.

2 In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. In medium bowl, stir broth, flour, coriander and pepper with wire whisk until blended. Slowly add to hot mixture in skillet, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes, until mixture boils and thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream until well blended.

3 In another medium bowl, mix chicken, corn, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the chiles, cilantro and 1/2 cup of the sauce. Place 2 tortillas at a time on microwavable plate; cover with paper towel. Microwave on High 10 to 15 seconds or until softened. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down center of each warm tortilla. Roll up tortillas; arrange, seam sides down, in baking dish. Top enchiladas with remaining sauce. Cover with foil.

4 Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Remove from oven. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Just before serving, top with tomato and green onions. Serve with salsa.

Nutritional Information
1 enchilada: Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g); Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 350mg; Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g); Protein 17g % Daily Value Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 20%; Iron 6% Exchanges 1 1/2 Starch, 2 Lean Meat, 0 Fat Carbohydrate Choices 1 1/2

Replies

• SoupNazi
    Options
    Reduced-fat cheese and reduced-fat sour cream helped us say adiós to half the fat, and by using olive oil instead of butter, we reduced saturated fat, too. Adding corn and green chiles boosted the Tex-Mex flavor.

Prep Time:30 min
    Start to Finish:1 hr 10 min
    makes:8 enchiladas

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
    2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
    2cups Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander or cumin
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    1 cup Green Giant® Niblets® frozen corn, thawed
    1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend (4 oz)
    1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    8 corn or flour tortillas (6 or 7 inch)
    1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
    4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
    Salsa, if desired

1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.

2 In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. In medium bowl, stir broth, flour, coriander and pepper with wire whisk until blended. Slowly add to hot mixture in skillet, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes, until mixture boils and thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream until well blended.

3 In another medium bowl, mix chicken, corn, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the chiles, cilantro and 1/2 cup of the sauce. Place 2 tortillas at a time on microwavable plate; cover with paper towel. Microwave on High 10 to 15 seconds or until softened. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down center of each warm tortilla. Roll up tortillas; arrange, seam sides down, in baking dish. Top enchiladas with remaining sauce. Cover with foil.

4 Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Remove from oven. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Just before serving, top with tomato and green onions. Serve with salsa.

Nutritional Information
    1 enchilada: Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g); Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 350mg; Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g); Protein 17g % Daily Value Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 20%; Iron 6% Exchanges 1 1/2 Starch, 2 Lean Meat, 0 Fat Carbohydrate Choices 1 1/2
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    This sounds good, I may leave out the corn, my youngun would freak out if her food was mixed, but otherwise, thanks for sharing. Have you tried this out urself yet?
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Soup

all these good ideas

when do I get to try some of your homemade goodies?:happy:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    This sounds good, I may leave out the corn, my youngun would freak out if her food was mixed, but otherwise, thanks for sharing. Have you tried this out urself yet?

No, I haven't tried this yet but am planning on making it next week. I crave Mexican food with a vengence and I'm gonna have it.:bigsmile:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Soup

all these good ideas

when do I get to try some of your homemade goodies?:happy:

Grab that rikshaw and hurry on over youngblood. I'll make extra tonight!:drinker:
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options

No, I haven't tried this yet but am planning on making it next week. I crave Mexican food with a vengence and I'm gonna have it.:bigsmile:

I have this planned too, but let me know how yours comes out!!!
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Bump for Triple B!!!!:drinker:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Woot woot! I do believe we have dinner. Thanks, Soupy! :smooched:
  • acefulcher
    Options
    if you use greek lowfat yogurt instead of sour cream you up the protiend and decrease the other bad stuff...plus the taste is the same....my habby swears by it too. we also use the yougurt on potatos...anything that you would normally use sour cream
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Woot woot! I do believe we have dinner. Thanks, Soupy! :smooched:

You're welcome B!!!:heart:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    if you use greek lowfat yogurt instead of sour cream you up the protiend and decrease the other bad stuff...plus the taste is the same....my habby swears by it too. we also use the yougurt on potatos...anything that you would normally use sour cream

Very good idea, indeed.:drinker:
  • 3babybeans
    Options

Very good idea, indeed.:drinker:

I've been meaning to buy some of that at the store every week. It is going on my list for next week NOW! Thanks for the tip!
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    DSCN0892.JPG

I left out the chilis for the sake of the children & added Pace Medium Picante sauce on top. Yummy! The inside could use the chilis for us adults otherwise it is a bit bland. The boys gobbled it up! Always a good review. :flowerforyou: Thanks, Soupy! Oh! I used whole grain tortillas, too.
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    I just realized I never put the rest of the cheese on top, either. Oops!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    That just made my mouth water!!

See, even the name "enchilada" reels me in!! :laugh:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    That just made my mouth water!!

See, even the name "enchilada" reels me in!! :laugh:

It was goooood, too, Tami! It was a bit "dish consuming" to make (I hate using numerous pots, pans, etc...) but it was worth every one! So tasty.
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    You took a picture B!!!!!:laugh:

You crack me up girl!!!

I'm glad they were good. My full fat/high calorie one was good tonight too.:embarassed:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    I take pictures of my food often. I believe I have a pic of Tami's meatloaf muffins around here somewhere. :laugh: The more pics of food = the fewer pics of me. :bigsmile: The tired mommy look is hard to stomach on film. :sick:

Glad you had a good dinner, Soupy! You should try these next time! Very good (did I say that yet? :laugh: )
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I take pictures of my food often. I believe I have a pic of Tami's meatloaf muffins around here somewhere. :laugh: The more pics of food = the fewer pics of me. :bigsmile: The tired mommy look is hard to stomach on film. :sick:

Glad you had a good dinner, Soupy! You should try these next time! Very good (did I say that yet? :laugh: )
    I should take a pic of my meatloaf muffins too and we can compare!! :laugh:
  • bumpn2
    bumpn2 Posts: 17
    Options
    Made these tonight. Yummy!!! Thanks!