Belly Fat Help!

Options
Hi everyone! I need to seriously start working on my mid-section. Does anyone have any insight on what exercises work best to lose inches and also maybe foods to avoid? I'm trying to do low carb,but I just started so would love some guidance. Thanks!

Replies

• llbreell
    Options
    Avoid starches!! Flour is one of the worst! LOTS and LOTS of water help keep down water retention, also.

I lost a lot on my tummy when I did p90x Ab Ripper X.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am finding that cardio is the way to go to get rid of the layer of fat over my midsection. Since I gave birth 12 years ago, I have given up on the idea of a firm and flat stomach and am just going for as flat and firm as I can get it! LOL I do lots of cardio each week and also do some weight training with light weights and pilates type exercises to tone and firm. White flour, foods high in sugar and carbs, and obviously fatty foods are good to avoid. Don't shy away from the good fatty foods though like nuts and avocados.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You just need to lose fat in general. Strength train to maintain muscle as you lose weight in order to burn fat. It will eventually come off, but you'll have to be patient and wait for your body to decide it's going to burn it from your belly. You can't spot-reduce fat.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    eat right, drink water, cardio exercises. ab ripper x is awesome !
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is genetic. You can't spot reduce. The best you can do is do some abdominal exercises (crunches, etc) to strengthen the muscle underneath the fat, and eat healthy and watch your calories. Eventually it will come off.

There is no magic food to avoid or magic exercise you can do.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Most of the personal trainers I've spoken to say focusing on a single part of the body isn't effective, but I do masses of crunches/situps (and their variants for obliques etc) and the six pack is starting to develop for me.

What you MUST do however, is start to 'eat clean'. Without that, you can have the best midsection in the world but it'll still have a layer of fat over it.
  • summersmaze
    summersmaze Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and suggestions! This is really helpful :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Zumba has made my belly look better than it has in decades (I'm old). I really can't believe how good my 50 yo belly looks. Aerobic exercise combined with a lot of hip shaking and knee lifting in a totally fun workout. Zumba is the best!!
  • kmcw50
    kmcw50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cardio and P90x ab ripper is working for me and lots of water.:wink:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit, you can't spot reduce

if you are going to directly train your abs, treat it like any other muscle, maybe once or twice a week, every other day at max
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Jogging helps with mid section, or walking fast in intervals. At least 15 minutes. after that do abs workouts, Planks work great for strengthening the core muscles. Hold for 15sec , if you're a beginner, then move up to 30sec until u can hold for a whole minute. do 3x . Berries help, try snacking on them or have some with your cereal. Fiber helps (best in the morning so you can digest and burn it trough out the day). no Carbonated water, no sodas, no coffee.. have some green tea instead!! Hope this helps! :smile:
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I'm bumping this! I have to know what everyone thinks! I know you can't spot reduce, but I am small everywhere else. My all of my extra fat is in my tummy. After two kids, I guess that's whats happens. I don't think I'll ever have firm and flat again, and I don't think I will ever see my abs again. But I at least want my tummy to be as flat as possible!

Good luck to you!!

PS: Look into Green Tea. Google about it if you must. I hear it is suppose to boost your metabolism and aid in burning fat! I have started drinking it myself and am quite addicted to it.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I'm bumping this! I have to know what everyone thinks! I know you can't spot reduce, but I am small everywhere else. My all of my extra fat is in my tummy. After two kids, I guess that's whats happens. I don't think I'll ever have firm and flat again, and I don't think I will ever see my abs again. But I at least want my tummy to be as flat as possible!

Good luck to you!!

PS: Look into Green Tea. Google about it if you must. I hear it is suppose to boost your metabolism and aid in burning fat! I have started drinking it myself and am quite addicted to it.

generally speaking the first place you put on fat will be the last place you lose it. so if you keep up a caloric deficit eventually you will lose the abdominal fat
  • doinme2011
    doinme2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Good luck to you!!

• doinme2011
    doinme2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I so agree with this! I know my abs will NEVER look like the ladies on the fronts of the Oxygen mags but I am working to get them as flat as I possibly can. Since I have started my "lifestyle change" I can see a difference

Good luck to you all :glasses:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To get abs, it's all about overall body fat loss. I have had good success with p90x and chalean extreme and many others have had great success with insanity and turbo fit or turbo jam. They are all great programs as they incorporate strength training and high intensity interval training which really works to burn calories. But the biggest thing you need to do with these programs is eat a lot of calories. Also, reducing your deficit can help so you have enough calories to build muscle but few enough to still lose body fat (mine is about 300 calories deficit). I have also found that I am more accurate with my eating using the katch mcardle formula as oppose to following MFP and eating back exercise calories.
  • Acg67
    Options
    my best advice is create a diet you can live with, no huge deficits, incorporate foods you like and the fat will eventually drop off