MENSTRUATION AND STRENGTH TRAINING

Options
Sorry guys you may need to take a backseat for a while, hehehe (just kidding). I'm just wondering if it is OK to lift weights during your period especially if its in the first day & w/ a mild cramp. If NO, then how many days should I wait before I can lift weights again? I heard before that you are not supposed to lift heavy things while having your period but I don't know if it is true & if it applies to strength training as well.

Replies

• 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I made a personal record 62.5kg barbell squat on Monday, the first day of my period, with fairly severe cramps.
    I took a couple of ibuprofen beforehand, but it's the lifting that totally drove the cramps from my mind and body.

You'll be fine. Go lift stuff.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I have never avoided any exercise because of my period (unless I wanted to :))

Keep on lifting!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It has never stopped me. But if I feel weak, I may go down a bit in weight. I say keep at it.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I have never avoided any exercise because of my period (unless I wanted to :))

LOL. So true!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps stretch and strengthen muscles including your core where cramps are... I think it helps to keep those muscles active and moving. Also, exercise helps your body release pleasure hormones (workout 'high' feeling) that could aid in ease of temperment, sleep (I have insomnia with my TOM) and overall sense of well-being. I think it sounds like a great idea. Today's my first day of TOM and I'm going to zumba class tonight to workout! :)))
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    That's crazy, no reason to avoid it. The only thing I could think would apply is AFTER your period you might want to make sure your are taking an iron supplement if you are lifting frequently. Just to help you muscles recover more quickly.
  • Kitiara47
    Options
    I find that working out actually helps my cramps! Especially cardio. You should have no problem weight lifting. :smile:
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The only reason you should avoid lifting is if you are in pain or have strained a muscle (or are taking a day for rest, of course). So maybe ab workouts would be uncomfortable, but upper body should be fine.

Some Native American cultures believed that menstration was a time of great strength for women...I like to take this approach and see myself as even stronger and more capable during this week every month :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Thanks ladies. :smile: I actually enjoy lifting weights more than cardio (though of course that is equally vital as well so I don't want to miss doing it either) & I especially love doing circuits. Today is my first day w/ cramps & at the same time my weight training day, I actually looked forward to experiment circuits today but for this day I only did cardio since I also plan to give my muscles 2 rest days since I realized that I've been doing an hour of circuits targeting my whole body every other day plus I constantly adding new moves every week & also some of my muscles particularly my calves and obliques are still aching until now. I plan to split my circuits into two, one for my upper body & the other for my lower body & do it on 2 separate days then one day of whole body circuits. I'll just trade my cardio day tomorrow for a weight training day to start working on for my upper body.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    No, no, no.... you should go into hiding the entire time you are having your cycle. You can't talk to anyone, touch any food for anyone other than yourself, or touch any girls under the age of 16 as you will pass the curse on to them. But, be careful, as you will be able to make objects fly around the room if you get too angry.... maybe you could lift the weights with your mind.

oh man I cant top thissSig_youtheman-1.gif