I've lost my mojo and am near quitting!

Options
I started dieting for my wedding, and according to everything I wasn't overweight when I began. I weighed 171lb, but I'm 5'10" so I wasn't too big, just the large side of normal. I wanted to loose about 20-25lbs and reach the perfect height-weight ratio. However, after 11lbs I'm really starting to loose my mojo...

I walk 3-4 miles with the dog every day. 3 in the morning and 1 at night. Sometimes my fiancé take him at night and sometimes we go for longer morning walks, but I always do around 3-4 miles a day walking. I log all my excercise, but I don't trust the calculator on here so if I do a lot of excercise I only eat a net of 1200 and if I do a little excercise I eat between 1200-1500 net which is my goal for loosing 1lb a week.

I'm tired ALL the time! It's really getting me down and I'm now getting depressed too. It's so bad that the other day I came in from the night time walk, dragged myself up to bed and burst into tears because I realized I had to get up for a drink of water and I just wanted to sleep. I wake up and I'm still tired. I eat and I'm tired. I don't understand it either, it can't be the excercise levels because they're only slightly higher than at my lowest! Certainly nowhere near my highest! I'm wondering if it's my diet, I haven't actually changed anything about it except portion size, (public diary ignore yesterday I didn't bother logging after around noon and the day before was a celebration) but there's virtually no fruit and veg there because I'm extreamly intollerent. I physically throw up from eating it, I make an effort with it every now and then, but I still throw up and every time I try it make me more fearful of trying again. I really need to see a nutritionalist about it. I know. Plus, I have anemia, so I guess that could be playing a role too...but I'm just so...why bother?

My mojo has clearly left and I know there's nothing really to ask about, or get advice on, I jut...I kinda needed to say it is all.

Replies

• gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Advice, take your measurements. I lost only 2 lbs in Aug.......but lost 6.5 inches just off hips and waist.

Also....if you quit.......you'll never reach your goal.......one day at a time........step by step........those little losses will add up and you'll be moving forward greatly before you even realize it~!
  • mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You should have your hormone levels checked. The symptoms you are describing fall in line with a lack of thyroid activity, and low sex hormone levels.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Another advice - eat more.

The closer you are to your goal weight, the harder it is to lose weight and the more fuel your body requires.
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    Don't give up! You might just need to ease up on something, it sounds like you're worn out and your diet isn't giving you something or other. You could try vitamin supplements, green tea, changing the time of day you exercise... Are you still losing weight?
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    that sounds like anemia, stress, or ....... have you taken an ept test yet darling? i'd see a dr.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories, expect to lose .5lbs a week instead of a full pound, you got this.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    That amount of tired, and if I were you, I'd go see my doctor.

But if you're already in the normal weight range, your body may put up one heckuva fight to lose anymore.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    keep going girl you can do it, I have been over weight my entire life and after 31 years I finally started to do something about it, I have been doing 7 months and I am loving it. Maybe you can workout just once a day so your not over exhausting yourself and try different work outs, if you don't want to join the gym, try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred work out dvd, its onl 20 minutes and it produces results, I still use it. Don't give up up whatever you do, I have hit two platuea's and I still kept going
  • Legalchica
    Options
    Don't give up!! Try something different for exersize. Sometimes your body just needs you to try somthing different! Also you may need to look at what your eating. If you've been eating the same thing change that up to. Your body gets into a rut and by switching things up it might help. Good Luck and Stay Focused!
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was walking my dogs three times a day and felt that I should be noticing the difference. But I didn't. My dogs are small and the walks therefore were very slow. Better than nothing, but not great for weight loss. Try going for a walk by yourself and speed it up a bit. That might help. Good Luck.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Feeling so tired all the time doesn't sound right at all. Please go and see your GP and get yourself checked out.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You've got the "last ten pounds" blues.
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    don't give up before you see either a nutritionist or your doctor and see if there is an underlying reason for this change...there may be a reason for it and it would be a shame to give up on your goal if it is something that can be addressed.
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid level checked? Difficulty losing weight combined with extreme tiredness and fatigue are both symptoms of hypothyroidism.
  • 2725MeadowTree
    2725MeadowTree Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We ALL feel this way, whether it be for 5 minutes or several hours every week. We are WOMEN and we speak the same language, which means that you are NOT ALONE. Use that frustration to fuel your PERSEVERENCE. You can do this - remember that you love yourself enough not to quit. Keep researching healthy food choices and find a "recipe" that works to help with your anemia - that will definitely make you tired all of the time, which in turn fuels your feelings of depression.

You are your own team - GO TEAM!! : )
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough. Through the summer I hit a plateau twice...I upped my calories both times and the scale started to move downwards again.

Don't give up. You can do it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat more vegetables and less prepackaged/preprepared foods. Vegetables are low calorie and high in nutrition so they allow you eat more and give you energy.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating more? I feel the same way when I've done 3-4 miles of walking and only net the 1200 calories. I find I have to aim for the 1600 MFP gives me to lose 1lb a week on those days otherwise I'm tired and cranky as hell the next day.

Might be worth a visit to the doctor about your anemia and the problem with fruit and veg. Are you really intolerant or is it a psychological thing? Forgive me for asking but my brother has major problems with this and has been diagnosed with food phobia. It's all psychological with him yet he's sick anytime he eats anything not on his tiny list of ok foods.
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

I think you need to be gentler on yourself. A couple of things in addition to the other suggestions:

-I don't think you are eating enough.

-When I reduced calories, I was tired all the time too. I ended up quitting for a while. It did help to increase my intake as far as energy goes (but I did gain about 10lbs back). Based on your weight, height, and activity level, I can't image that 1200-1500 calories is enough for you. Have you considered that maybe you are putting your body close to starvation mode? (when the body starts to shut down and conserve energy). I might suggest upping your calories to maintenance level (2000?) for a week and see if it makes a difference on your energy level.

-If you can't/aren't eat fruits or vegetables, you have to be low in nutrients. You are probably lacking in every energy vitamin from A to Zinc. Colors=nutrition. If you aren't eating a full rainbow of foods, your body will be malnurished. What kinds of fruits and vegetables have you tried? Are there any that are worse or better? (Wondering if I can come up with some additional suggestions). Please talk to your doctor about ways to get nutrition if you can't eat produce. I do a Spiru-tein Whey shake in the morning that is full of vitamins and minerals.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You might consider whether you're eating enough - since you are pretty close to your goal weight you may need to aim for a 1/2 pound loss instead of 1. This BMR calculator lets you enter your goal weight and gives you the maintenance calories for your goal weight, which will be a deficit from where you are: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

The more you move the more you can eat, so you might also up your exercise a bit, maybe adding in some strength training to help build muscle that will help you burn more calories at rest. Good luck!